Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Stop me from buying a Gen. Coupe!

7K views 81 replies 17 participants last post by  SilverRedLine04 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so, I was thinking maybe, just maybe I would use my tax return and trade in the IRL for a down payment on a 2.0 R-Spec. Yeah, yeah, the 3.8 is better, I know, but I don't want/need a 18MPG/$30K+ Hyundai...

Anyway, after making some calls, and an appointment for a test drive tomorrow, I'm not so sure I'll actually be able to let the old girl go when the time comes. I still love the car, but she's kinda gettin' up there and my new job has a 45 mile commute each way in wretched Long Island traffic, I'd kinda like the pseudo piece of mind of a warranty being as I don't know how to do shit, a change would be nice, there are no other cars (other than a few completely out of my price range) that I really want instead of the Genesis... blah blah justification blah blah.

So, what I need, is for some of you that knows our car and maybe has driven one of these to tell me how shitty they really are behind the scenes. I need to know how my big dome will be scrapin' the headliner at 6'3", how the turbo lag can't get out the way of it's own 3500lb ass, how my own fat ass will curse me for Recaro withdrawals, and how much cooler I am driving a car that after 7 years no one has any clue is actually fast.

#2 ·
Anyway, after making some calls, and an appointment for a test drive tomorrow, I'm not so sure I'll actually be able to let the old girl go when the time comes. I still love the car, but she's kinda gettin' up there and my new job has a 45 mile commute each way in wretched Long Island traffic, I'd kinda like the pseudo piece of mind of a warranty being as I don't know how to do shit, a change would be nice, there are no other cars (other than a few completely out of my price range) that I really want instead of the Genesis... blah blah justification blah blah.

So, what I need, is for some of you that knows our car and maybe has driven one of these to tell me how shitty they really are behind the scenes. I need to know how my big dome will be scrapin' the headliner at 6'3", how the turbo lag can't get out the way of it's own 3500lb ass, how my own fat ass will curse me for Recaro withdrawals, and how much cooler I am driving a car that after 7 years no one has any clue is actually fast.
The one and only advantage of it over your car is that it is RWD. Other than that, far from impressive. But IMO, if you want RWD get a car that is worthwhile. If you are looking in the mid $25K, get a new V6 Mustang with the performance package. Much better car than the Hyunghey

#3 ·
Can't talk you out of a nice ride, how many miles on your RL? Maybe drive it until you can afford a better car yet. The new Cruze I really like the style of, heavy with no power, but hey, it's turbo'd!

#4 ·
Sorry cant talk ya out. If I didnt hate the idea of starting over on payments id get one. They put one up against the mustang, camaro, and challenger in car and driver and in the end decided it wasnt a fair comparison because it is a sports car and not a muscle car. It prolly helped that it beat the other three in almost every test.

#6 ·
@Eco: I'm sure there's other good options
In forms of power, but I'm not really a fan of anything else aethetically, ya know. I hate to admit it, but you have to look at it everyday, too.

@recaro: almost 81K. I've considered pricier options, but there really isn't anything out there I'm like DYING to have. Always wanted an Evo, but not the current Gen. Don't like Zs, Mazda don't do it for me, Toyota has nothing, and there's nothing American I really need. There's the Skyline, but uh, that's a few years off. ;)

@RL1313: not really looking for a car payment in my life again, either, but I'm getting the 7 year itch!

@RLP: I'm gonna test the 3.8 Track while I'm there, juuuuust to keep my options open! LOL

I dunno. The wife wants to go car shopping tomorrow, anyway, so I might as well take it for a spin. I may not even like it. I'll keep ya posted...

#7 ·
Damn! That was a sweet ride. I couldn't bring myself to drive the 3.8 for fear of falling too far in love with it, but the 2.0 was just enough of a taste. Definitely felt the turbo lag being used to an SC do long, but she rode like a dream. Had aot more head/leg room, less plasticy feel, and dare I say it the seats were more comfortable than the Recaros.:indiffere

#8 ·
Don't do it. Or I will be very disappointed in you.

#9 ·
NOOOO! couldn't never live with that shame!

Didn't do it. I told myself I would NOT drive off that lot with anything today and I stuck to my guns. My wife was also looking at an Elantra, so I had prices in mind before I even went in. They came back with their prices, I revealed mine, they came back with a counter-offer, I said "You're almost there!" I was a real shrewd SOB and that's TOTALLY not like me at all! I'm proud of my damn self. They even got two sales managers over to try to sway me, but I told them I needed time to think it over, got up, shook their hands, and split.*

Got the 19K Elantra down to 17,600 and the R Spec down to 26K flat, however, they only wanted to give me $4K for the IRL. I told them, no way, and suggested they go back and make sure they weren't offering me a figure for a Quad Coupe. **** that, I want at least $6,500 for her.*And I'm not falling for their "Well they don't make these any more, it'll be hard to sell." bullshit, either.

#11 ·
No doubt. It made the IRL feel like IKEA made it. Not to mention, coming from BWoody mounts, it was like driving a Caddy.

I felt aggressive enough. I figure the 2.0 must dyno at 220ish, right? I'm just Stage 2, but that's still gotta be a 40hp loss. Combined with the lag, my current ride has more oomf, for sure, but still, I'm totally torn. Not sure what I want now....

#13 ·
Yeah, that's probably best. My only other option is just play hardball. I was thinking of calling him tonight 1/2 before closing to say, "If you can make my numbers happen, I'll be there first thing in the morning to pick up both cars.

Knowing my luck, they won't actually call me back! I think I might be skirting pretty damn close to actual invoice at this point. They may tell me to piss off!:lol:

#15 · (Edited)
Yikes! Eff that...

OFFICIAL THREAD: Manual Transmission Issues - Page 77 - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

I think I'll keep my rattling, Tupperware, leaky-roofed, bronco-bucking Redline over that shit.

Normally, a 100 pg thread wouldn't even faze me, as I'd dismiss it as mostly a select group of knuckleheads who can't drive, who's poor judgement caused the issue to begin with, or just plain unlucky. Hell, there are hundreds of threads concerning "issues" with iPhones, for instance, and mine is just fine. When a thread that long is specific to M/Ts, however, and only 5% of GCs are manuals, Id say that's pretty legit. There aren't even a few posters chiming in with, "no problems here!" it's just ALL complaints. No thanks!

#16 ·
I dont know about the tranny problems but i do know from exsperience that they are really good about warrenty work at the dealer.
also forget the 3.8 the 2.0 is a great little motor,its basicly the evo motor and can handle 400+hp no problem.
my mom has the sonata with the 2.0t and bone stock it ran 14.33 at 102mph
and its very boost limeted in first gear,so easy 13s if you could get full boost in first.

#17 ·
Yeah, I agree about the service. I had a 2001 Tibby and had nothing but top level service. It looks like all these guys are getting new trans. under warranty with no questions asked, either. No one's getting fingers pointed at or told it was their own fault. Hell, one guy had 2 swapped in the same month, 3 total.

Still, what that's telling me is Hyundai are well aware their transmissions/flywheels are shit and rather than adress the issue by fixing it, they're just throwing transmissions at it left and right. I really love the car, but it doesn't sound like something I should get involved with voluntarily.

#18 ·
If your considering a Genisis coupe I would also recommend looking at the Scion FR-S or Subaru BRZ.

The other thing to consider is the release of the Gen 6 Camaro.

Camaro Gen 6 & Camaro Gen 7 - What Direction Now?

It will be built on a smaller lighter platform and offer many different powertrain options.

Tough choice though.

I still have my RL but bought a 2012 Buick Regal turbo 3 months ago. I can tell you that the few extra pounds makes the car feel slow.

#21 ·
The BRZ is a little under powered for my tastes, but it sure looks to be a lot of fun. Doubtful any deals are to be had on one due the popularity, though, and that brings closer to the 30K mark. I dunno, maybe I'll just go to Japan (that was my other choice for my refund) and just drive the IRL until I need a new car.

#22 ·
Test drove the BRZ. LOVE IT! They had a M/T in dark gray which is exactly what I wanted, too. Didnt get a chance to do anything too crazy, but she handles really sweet. I dunno if I can handle a 120HP loss, though. I know the BRZ is like 600lbs lighter than the IRL, but I like being able to "merge" into traffic when I damn well feel like it. I can't handle having to wait for a more practical opportunity. lol

#24 ·
They handle great and the interior is really well done..not to mention the car looks incredible. But it is SO underpowered..but they are putting together a forced induction package of some sort together I heard for next year. I would get one in a year or so if I wasn't as obsessed with the Sky RLs as I am. :)

#25 ·
For some reason I thought the BRZs were dynoing at 140, I'm seeing it's more like 160-165ish. That's a little better. Don't I kinda get back some "virtual" HP back due to the low weight? :freak5:

Edit: What's the weight of the IRL, btw? I'm seeing 2600 on C&D. That can't be right...?

#27 ·
So compared to the fat Gen. Coupe, I'm getting a distinct advantage, but compared to our car, I'm just straight out losing 98hp. Bah, whatever. I'm an old fart now, anyway, and I drive the IRL like an old fart. My tastes for how fast something goes in a straight line have kinda changed. I want something more refined, "grown up", if you will. I think I'm gonna go for it. So long as they give me closer to $6K trade in than $4k and I get an interest rate of 4.5% or less.

I actually got to the dealer an hour before closing. By the to e we got down to prices, it was getting pretty late. Add that to the fact that they "Can't honestly give you a fair offer on your car, we've never had a Redline before", I couldn't have taken it home tonight, anyway. At least they were honest about the trade in. Said they'd make a few calls in the morning and call me back.

The whole experience was night and day from Hyundai. I knew I couldn't really negotiate with such a popular car, so I'm not really getting any deals. I got them to take 1.75% off simply because I balked that I could go "home" to NJ to get 7% sales tax. It's something!

#28 ·
So compared to the fat Gen. Coupe, I'm getting a distinct advantage, but compared to our car, I'm just straight out losing 98hp. Bah, whatever. I'm an old fart now, anyway, and I drive the IRL like an old fart. My tastes for how fast something goes in a straight line have kinda changed. I want something more refined, "grown up", if you will. I think I'm gonna go for it. So long as they give me closer to $6K trade in than $4k and I get an interest rate of 4.5% or less.
The Genesis Coupe and Subaru BRZ don't exactly fit in those categories. Most people you see driving them are 18 to early 20 year olds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.