Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Saturn Ion to Redline engine swap

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tennpenn83 
#1 ·
I was wondering, if at all possible, would I be able to swap the Redline's motor into my 04 Saturn Ion3. If anyone has any info at all or if its not worth it or what, lemme know. All input is welcomed.

Thaaaank you

#2 ·
is your ion 3 an automatic? if yes, then you'll need the F35 tranny from an 04 (04's have different motor mounts than 05+)

i believe that the 2004 uses a different ecm that has not been unlocked as of yet by HP Tuners, so you would either need an LSJ pcm or some kind of trifecta tuning.

it is very possible to do this, however it might be more trouble than its worth. if you can find a cheap used LSJ, and are competent enough to do it yourself, then why not?

some people just buy the supercharger setup (supercharger, intake manifold, alternator, belt system, intercooler system) and retro-fit it to the 2.2L. that might be a better, and cheaper alternative. then all you need to worry about is tuning. like i said above, i don't think hpt has unlocked any ion that was not a redline, so you'd have to PM vince at trifecta.

good luck

#3 ·
well its a manual, but where could I buy the supercharger and manifold and all that? Is there a certain kit or would I have to basically find everything and bring it all together myself? Doing it myself is no problem, a few friends are great mechanics/tuners, but maybe you could direct me to a kit or just in the right direction.

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.