Intercooler Pump and also Coolant dash alert - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Intercooler Pump and also Coolant dash alert

2006 redline 135,000 miles. Im 95% positive my intercooler pump is not working. That being said the car never overheat, but im pretty sure that the coolant just sits in the supercharger without flowing and sometimes it gets real f'ing hot and then it will spit the coolant out, which then pours all over my engine bay from the overflow hose.

So my question is how vital is it to have a.working pump?

Also on the instrument cluster i know we have the oil life warning that you reset when you change your oil, but.lately.im getting a warning for "coolant." Is that saying.the level is low or it needs to be flushed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 AM

There's an easy way to check and tell for sure if the pump is working:

It's vital that it works. You won't make nearly as much boost (and therefore power) if the pump doesn't work, think of it kinda like your cold air intake. If the blower's colder, the air is colder, more dense and it makes more power when it mixes with the gas and combusts in the cylinders. Not to mention it's not ideal for the health of your supercharger. If you're spitting coolant, get that under control ASAP as possible.

As for the 'coolant' warning, that most likely means there's not enough, meaning air is flowing through instead. Which would make perfect sense, figuring if you're spitting the coolant out it's definitely not in the lines.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Garage
The aftercooler system and engine coolant system are not connected in any way.

If the "Coolant" message is appearing, it means that there is an issue with the ENGINE coolant system. Get it diagnosed and repaired ASAP before you blow the motor.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
421whp/354wtq @ ~23psi on E30

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:12 PM

I had it go on a few times and I added a little engine coolant and it went off.

I have also flushed my coolant a few times but I don't think there is a monitor for it like the oil.

The Dex cool is good for what, 5 years or 100k?

Last edited by 1Redline; 05-15-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redline View Post
I had it go on a few times and I added a little engine coolant and it went off.

I have also flushed my coolant a few times but I don't think there is a monitor for it like the oil.

The Dex cool is good for what, 5 years or 100k?
Dex is *supposed* to be good for 5 years/100k, but that's with a proper fill and distilled water.

In my experience, 50k is more accurate, less if you mix it with something besides distilled.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

To be more clear it has only spit coolant from the cooler over flow hose 2 times in 6.months.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinche_adam View Post
To be more clear it has only spit coolant from the cooler over flow hose 2 times in 6.months.

there must be a reason they made that overflow hose

sometimes it just happens to overflow for conditions needed
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinche_adam View Post
If the pump isn't working it will get hot enough to spit. You want it working or you will loose power. If coolant light is on check your fuse I think it's 10 or 14 for your pump. It will not only make your pump not work but it will make the light come on too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post
If the pump isn't working it will get hot enough to spit. You want it working or you will loose power. If coolant light is on check your fuse I think it's 10 or 14 for your pump. It will not only make your pump not work but it will make the light come on too.

When you say it will make the light come on, you are referring to it saying "coolant" on the cluster screen correct?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Also I've been looking at.pumps online, do I need to buy one with a pigtail on it or no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.