Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

New exhaust setup

911 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Eco-Mod 
#1 ·
Dont know if any of u guys have the magnaflow catback but Alpha and I do and we believe the source of our rattles is coming from the resonator internally. I decided to bring my car to the local shop and they agree. I am having a hi flow 2.25 in. resonator installed because they think it will not only eliminate the rattle but also get rid of the raspyiness. U guys see any downsides to this slight size reduction in my exhaust? I already know my boost might increase slightly. Im also running the vibrant header and DP.

#2 ·
the bottlenecking of the exhaust may cause a sort of Venturi effect, speeding up the exhaust flow as pressure rises. I dont know of any direct gains you may experiance, but its an idea i have toyed with for a couple of years now. Let us know how it turns out.

#3 ·
Caboose said:
the bottlenecking of the exhaust may cause a sort of Venturi effect, speeding up the exhaust flow as pressure rises. I dont know of any direct gains you may experiance, but its an idea i have toyed with for a couple of years now. Let us know how it turns out.
I will. Im going to pick it up now. Im not concerned any gains though. I just dont want to loose any power. The car flies now and i want to keep it that way. I just dont want to sound like a 93 hatch with a 6 inch fartcan. Sorry Alpha. :)

#4 ·
I'm perfectly happy sounding like ass and being fast :D

#5 ·
AlphaJaguar5 said:
I'm perfectly happy sounding like ass and being fast :D
That's fine. The difference between you and I now is that
  • I'm fast (291.9 HP) Just a hair better than when it rattled
  • It don't rattle. AT ALL!!!
  • No leaks :)
  • Less droning on highway
  • quieter overall even at WOT

I dyno'd the car on the interceptor before I brought my car to the shop and it put down 282.2 HP. Dyno'd it again after the shop and put down 291.9 HP just before redline. 282.9 was consistently there just before the 291. I will try and find out specifics about this resonator for everyone, but I can say that I am one happy camper. I believe that this was for the turbo catback for a Scion tC. Go figure. :)

#6 · (Edited)
Does anybody know of a way to confirm that my car is either faster or at least the same speed then before I installed the new resonator. The interceptor dyno shows at least the same HP than before with a 10hp gain at redline. (I think the gain is a false readout that high of an RPM though)

The car feels slower which is weird. Air/fuel remained the same along with my boost, but when I hit the gas from a 40 roll, it doesn't take off with that initial TQ I am used to. Any ideas?

EDIT: I guess I will race Alpha and see if the end result is about the same.

#7 ·
You do realize you are reading an interceptor right... an estimate based off the MAF sensor... that has a correction factor... and doesn't instantly update so 10 different runs could come up with 10 different numbers. Not tryin to dis but it's just a gauge.

Anywho... Yeah I get a slight rattle from the resonator when it is cold, but it goes away in about a minute idling so I'm not gonna f*ck with it. As for the loss of "felt torque", maybe it dropped the backpressure or increased the exhaust flow dynamics which would lower torque ever so slightly. Hard to say for sure though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.