oil leak - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > General Area > General Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation oil leak

so before i start looking in detail on my car i wanted to know your guys opinion to see if my hunches are correct.

so i bought my redline about 2 months ago from a certified saturn mechanic who did a salvage job on it. that was two years ago so it sat for some time.

anyway i was driving it home from school (flint mi) back home to wisconsin. along the way i stopped for gas (4 hours later) and checked the oil and it was barly on the dipstick. so i put a quart of oil in it and finished the trip (another 4 hours). when i got home i parked fell asleep. when i woke up there was a small puddle of black oil under my car so i checked the oil and it was not even on the dip stick. i put 3 quarts in and it was full.

my first thought was the dipstick poped out after fixing it. so i zip tied it and drove it back. with the same issue exept i put in oil every hour so it didnt fuck it up anymore.

when i was driving it back the car lurched twice but the engine was fine.

the engine runs good, sounds fine, there is no bad smell from the exaust so i know a piston or something isnt bad. it only leaks on the drivers side a little when its parked. most of the oil loss is from driving at high speeds.

which leads me to my theory of a hose is cracked or a gasket is bad. what is a common thing that goes bad? also what else could b wrong besides me driving it on a bad oil problem.

Last edited by rhyox; 04-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.
rhyox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it was a salvage (like mine) check the oil pan. It was probably fractured or replaced after the hit. I replaced mine, it wasn't all that fun, and keeping the mating surfaces clean isn't easy, may have been a "quick fix" for the guy, now the seal is comprimised after some extended use again.
Also the front cover could be the culprit, I can't imagine the valve cover because you don't smell it hitting the exhaust and stinking. The oil cooler is def. a possibility as well. Jack her up check it out. If it is losing oil that rapidly shoudn't be hard to find.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

hah i bet its the cannister oil cap, mine was leaking all over when i picked my car up, check that first, could have been double gasketed.

233.73whp/204.75wtq Stock
14.941 @ 94.7mph
04_IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

so i got under the car and there is oil everywhere. so i could not pin point where is was comming from. im going to clean it all off and get some oil dye and see if i can pin point where it is comming from.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

after careful evaluation the head gasket is blown hopefully i can work out a deal with the dealer that sold it to me
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

wow that sucks, is there coolant in your oil too? thatll be a definate sign. idk how a blown hg would onlyt leak a ton of oil and no coolant...
04_IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

ya there s coolant in the oil. it must not be bad because it only leaks when it is driven at highway speeds
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Run it with coolant in the oil for long and kiss every bearing in the engine goodbye.
recaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement