Clattering sound at idle- sounds like popcorn - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > General Area > General Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Clattering sound at idle- sounds like popcorn

Yeah...
I have had a SHIT ton of problems with my car, so this is probably the one that will fix it. There is a popcorn sound under the hood that occurs on and off and goes along with a sporadic rough idle. Also, the car is kinda rough when I run the A/C also. If anyone knows what this might be, I can have them look at it at the dealership.

Other symptoms (probably related):

When I am on the highway at around 90-100 for about 15 minutes straight, after I exit, the car runs like total garbage. It bogs down and feels really shitty as if there is a really bad fuel mixture. Still boosts fine, but its really damn slow... like borderline Nissan Cube slow until the RPM's pick back up.

Limp mode and super limp mode
Limp mode is around 20% power, "super" limp mode as I call it is where the engine sounds like a cylinder blew (pop pop pop pop pop) and it can hit about 40 top speed. Thats all cpu induced crap.

Tell me what you think people, there is a mechanical part or rattley tube or something that needs to be replaced. My only guess would be some sort of metal cooling hose or something that is connected to the supercharger. Isn't there an intercooler on these LSJ engines?

-Sam

deals:
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3744564-10295996 ---Yes, I love gambling
disbsam333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Try starting the engine up without the drive belt on, i found a bad AC compressor bearing making alot of noise on mine this weekend.

There is also a common transaxle noise that quite a few people have noticed at idle. The noise only becomes a problem when an inexperienced dealer attempts to repair it (there are not many dealerships that are set up with the proper knowledge and tools to repair internals on these transaxles).
Advertisement