Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Stop me from buying a Gen. Coupe!

7K views 81 replies 17 participants last post by  SilverRedLine04 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so, I was thinking maybe, just maybe I would use my tax return and trade in the IRL for a down payment on a 2.0 R-Spec. Yeah, yeah, the 3.8 is better, I know, but I don't want/need a 18MPG/$30K+ Hyundai...

Anyway, after making some calls, and an appointment for a test drive tomorrow, I'm not so sure I'll actually be able to let the old girl go when the time comes. I still love the car, but she's kinda gettin' up there and my new job has a 45 mile commute each way in wretched Long Island traffic, I'd kinda like the pseudo piece of mind of a warranty being as I don't know how to do shit, a change would be nice, there are no other cars (other than a few completely out of my price range) that I really want instead of the Genesis... blah blah justification blah blah.

So, what I need, is for some of you that knows our car and maybe has driven one of these to tell me how shitty they really are behind the scenes. I need to know how my big dome will be scrapin' the headliner at 6'3", how the turbo lag can't get out the way of it's own 3500lb ass, how my own fat ass will curse me for Recaro withdrawals, and how much cooler I am driving a car that after 7 years no one has any clue is actually fast.

#64 ·
Its kinda a double-edged sword, though, no? I mean how confident can you really be when buying a car youve never driven before? Unless its your dream car or something no one could possibly dislike like an Astin Martin or something, a 5-10 minute test drive really isn't enough time to say one way or the other whether youre totally smitten with the car. Hell, 5 minutes in the GenCoupe was pretty nice power wise, but a few days later I bet I'd find the handling extremely wanting.

I'm probably being on the dramatic side here. The first real performance car I've ever owned just happened to be underrated and (stage 2) supercharged. The immediate power no doubt has spoiled me against laggy turbos and anything NA <400hp.

I'm not saying I don't love the BRZ. I've never had a car that handled so sweet. Youre so low and grounded it feels like your ass is part of the chassis. It's an amazing ride and a worthy machine. It's just gonna take some getting used to is all.

#66 ·
Can't wait, mine is almost paid off.. few more months and I'm already starting to look around for a more "adult" sedan (baby).. Really liking the Infiniti G37x right now.. I've changed my mind so many times it's ridiculous though. My wife hates when it's my turn to car shop lol

#67 ·
Test drove the coupe v6 and I was actually disappointed. Brakes were amazing, interior quality was amazing, clutch sucked, it felt like a Prius until after 4500, then it woke up and moved decent. Daily driving you would think your in a n/a 2.0. When your rowing through it moves pretty good but that's the only time. So then I went and test drove mustang gt with track pack basically the same price thing was a monster had Gobbs of power from 1500-redline, v8 sounded awesome clutch felt awesome just an all around amazing car. So I decided to go with that

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#70 ·
HA!

So, post break-in, things are better! Those 3400 extra RPMs make a pretty big difference. Is it as peppy as the IRL? Hell no. Am I still regretting my decision? A little, but not because of the power shortage.

I really dig the BRZ. The way it handles, the way it feels, the way it looks. I even find myself walking backwards after I park it just to check out it's sexiness. What I don't like, and it's immature, I know, is the fact that it's gonna be so run-of-the-mill in the next few years. What I peceived to be more "refined" was sorta skewed. It's a rotten "sideways baseball cap wearing frat kids car" like all the rest of the herd cars out there. I miss the exclusivity of the IRL, but like I said, it's an irrational point of view. Whatever. At least it's not a FRS.:p

#72 ·
My irl got flooded. Can't find a CAMARO 2ss equipped the way I was thinking on test driving the brz. I am so sad to lose the ion. It was mint... So sad. Can't find a 2013 I want and the 14s look like ass. Brz is cheaper and may tide me over until I can get a corvette. Thoughts?

#76 ·
I was driving under a bridge during heavy rain. It got real deep around the middle. A big dump truck went by made a wave that shut my car down. The water flash flooded pretty quick. Water came in my floor boards ect. Really crappy. I can't seem to find a 6 speed 2ss with no moon roof nav. Dm exhaust and a short shifter. They always add other crap.

I have gm card money. And always wanted a camaro SS. I was gonna test drive the brz. As a much lower payment option. Doesn't seem to be a lot f cool stuff out. Love the ss. Rear visibility is awful. As bad as a 370z.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.