Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Former Reldine Owners, what do you miss most about your old Redline?

5K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  Tibbett 
#1 ·
Just trying to get a discussion going with the former (and current) Redline owners.

For me, it's two things that I miss most: obviously the addictive whine of the supercharger (with the K&N intake), but also that 'creak' in the clutch pedal when it gets cold outside!

#4 ·
In the 9 years that I owned mine, the only major problem that I really ever had was blowing a spark plug out of the engine. They were able to fix it with a 're-thread' kit (as opposed to replacing the block).

Well, that, and the issue with the spring-loaded shift knob randomly flying off (it even hit me in the face one time).

#5 ·
First thing I did to mine was put a Hurst shifter in it to fix that stupid issue. I got dinged by the power steering failure and a plugged catalyst at 78k. Other than that, reliable.

#11 ·
Yea, dealer's solution was to just glue it back on. It worked, because it never came off again!

#12 ·
Yours is the first that I have heard in the Saturns, with

an actual problem ...

I got my PS recall 2014

I didn't mind it with the power assist off either, nice and direct feeling like a manual rack should be....:)

I could also take my key out of the ignition with it running......:rofl:

#13 ·
I gotta say one thing i miss is just how reliable the ol tupperware machine was. in the 4 years i had mine i never had a single problem with it that i didnt cause. Also loved just how easy these things are to tune. Its also fun that no one expects your little saturn to be fast haha. it embaressed quite a few people.

One thing i dont miss though is having no traction. TVS + e85= spinning 1st 2nd and some of 3rd.....did have crappy a/s tires though

#14 ·
Its also fun that no one expects your little saturn to be fast haha. it embaressed quite a few people.

now some out there are aware and challenge

this is sometimes fun and other times a nuisance :cowsmile:

#15 ·
I had the reversed intercooler pump wires, the clogged cat, and the shift knob popping off as my main issues while I owned it. The 04's did not have a screw in the shift knob stock...that was the fix after it popped off.

What do I miss most? Dropping into second to feel that mad powah on e85. That...and knowing more than the dealership when I brought it in for work. I got a brand new supercharger at 34k when I knew it was the cat and was telling them from the start it was :D...."No sir, we're pretty sure it's the supercharger." Ooooooooooook, have at it boys.

#16 · (Edited)
Another bad CAT
,keep hearing this...

what were the symptoms of the reversed wires on the IC pump?

How did people become aware of the problem - just curious

was this something Saturn realized and put out there or

did the customer find out about it and initiated attention to it?

Still new to the IRL game...

#19 · (Edited)
The reversed wiring was an issue on all '04-05s....the w2a system shouldn't heat soak very badly and that was how it was noticed IIRC. Diagnosing it involves the car idling with the heat exchanger fill cap open. If it flows, you're good.....if it doesn't, time to order the Ford bosch part since it's half the price of the one through GM.

I had to do this too, but a $75 part was hardly worthy of remembrance.

#20 ·
I get a little concerned about this stuff because - I don't have

any evidence that the prev owner of my IRL did any maintenance

absolutely nothing -- no records and I got it with low miles

so - it may not have had any maintenance other than an oil change

and a stage kit , before I picked it up

#21 ·
I had a nightmare last night:

I traded my IRL for a souped up car from the 70's

the 70s car had no paint but the prev owner put the

supercharged ecotec in it - I got convinced that

this was the way to go

anyway I realized that I missed polishing and waxing

and was in a panic situation as I looked at the 70s car in my yard...

I woke up - whew ....:smoker:

#22 ·
#23 ·
Thanks,,, I have been looking for this thread for over a year

my IRL is approaching 12 big ones - could you imagine if my wires

are reversed ?

#29 ·
Enjoying my redline, since 2006, love my RL, hate GM

regardless i have always enjoy the suicide doors and I have always got compliments for the recaro seats. I love the 17' polished rims and low profile wing.

My issues have been with, issues with cold start.

Issue with water entering through the sunroof, which lead to getting a short out my AAS amp and 2000Watt Amp for 2 12" Polk Audio. Entire audio, gone... $$$

Bad IC Pump, fixxed a few months ago.. Amazon replament part was about $90.00

$$$!!! Biggest issue and most expensive experience. Bad Cat, flex area has gone bad 2 times.... Pain in the A$$ in CA, Over-Price to fix !!!$$$

#30 ·
cold starts - do you use mobile 1

I just went through couple days near o degree days and I am thinking the mobile 1

pulled thru for me

#31 ·
I never had any issues with cold starts with mine......and that includes a couple times in the -15 to -20F ambient range.

#32 ·
I don't think mine can go that low

I heard a slight hesitation when it was around +10 - 0

my ion 2.2 would not start even when it was new in the cold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.