Help! Urgent! 04 ion redline - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Help! Urgent! 04 ion redline

I was removing the cv axle on the passenger side of my 04 redline and the cv joint is stuck in the intermediate shaft that goes into the tranny. I removed the whole intermediate shaft and the cv joint will not come so I'm gonna have to order a new intermediate shaft. I uploaded the link/pic that shows the part. It's part #1. I called the dealer and GM discontinued the part. I tried to order on gm wholesale parts online and they refunded me saying they don't have the part it is discontinued. I have tried local junkyards and no luck. I NEED this part quick. It is my daily driver.

** it wont let me upload the link to the image. If you search Ion redline intermeidate shaft it is the link for gm wholesale parts and its part #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan1784 View Post
I was removing the cv axle on the passenger side of my 04 redline and the cv joint is stuck in the intermediate shaft that goes into the tranny. I removed the whole intermediate shaft and the cv joint will not come so I'm gonna have to order a new intermediate shaft. I uploaded the link/pic that shows the part. It's part #1. I called the dealer and GM discontinued the part. I tried to order on gm wholesale parts online and they refunded me saying they don't have the part it is discontinued. I have tried local junkyards and no luck. I NEED this part quick. It is my daily driver.

** it wont let me upload the link to the image. If you search Ion redline intermeidate shaft it is the link for gm wholesale parts and its part #1

I have purchased some parts through GM affiliated sites online and I have had them refund me as well.

It took me some time but after searching GM dealerships and websites I came across some that had my part.

It took a long time and I almost gave up but one dealership or GM parts place somewhere out there might have the part.

Probably not good if you need the part now though.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Garage
If you haven't damaged the intermediate shaft yet, you may try a good long soak in PB Blaster and then take it to a local machine shop. They have more tools for the job. Good presses and such.

I recently went through having mine stuck together on a clutch swap. I never got mine separated, but then I was just doing an R&R.

If all you're doing is replacing the CV axle, you could just dismantle it and see if there's a way to fill the void between the splines with PB and see if that will let the inboard CV splines come loose.

Good luck OP. Be gentle with the intermediate shaft, it is very easy to damage.

Last edited by Rebel Redline; 11-22-2016 at 03:25 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM

Garage
Also, try Powell, when I was searching through old threads trying to find answers, he said he had a few. That was a couple years ago, but it can't hurt to ask.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:04 PM

I had same issue replacing axle seals and axles. I took the whole thing out like you. Dismantled the axle so just the bell was hanging on the shaft. Sprayed pb blast on the joint a few times let it soak fer 30min sprayed again then holding the shaft with the bell down I hit it with a sledge sponging it as you hit to work all sides. Took about 10 minutes with rest in between cause my arm was dead before it finally came off.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:38 PM

Garage
I'd recommend a good deadblow over a sledge. Less chance of hurting something.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will continue to try to knock it out of there and look for the new intermediate shaft in the meantime. If anyone happens to notice any for sale anywhere let me know in this thread.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
I'd recommend a good deadblow over a sledge. Less chance of hurting something.
Meh my 4lb sledge and just don't hit the bearing took 5min of pounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axle, cv axle, intermediate, redline, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.