How To Remove The Aero Spoiler - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > HowTo & Product Reviews > HowTo Section

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
How To Remove The Aero Spoiler How To Remove The Aero Spoiler
socalsilverRL
11-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclaimer
*THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR THOSE WITH A SMALL SPOILER* <==(You have extra holes that have to be filled)
The aero deck lid holes look like this: "o"
The mini-wing deck lid holes look like this: "(o)" (kinda weird, huh?)
*I recommend using Widgets, if you have a small spoiler. They can be found here:
http://www.widgetco.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.13/.f
You also may want to ask EvilCreations (BWoody associate), he sells these over on SRT forums
Ok. So I decided to make this thread after being asked about it by a few people. It is a good (cheap) way to get rid of that giant plastic wing, and retain the ability to put the wing (or others) back on for those times that you want a little flashy-ness. It is a hell of a lot easier (cheaper) than filling the holes in and painting it. So here is what you will need to do this in-expensive mod:
1 x Saturn Ion Redline w/ an Aero spoiler
1 x 5/32" Allen Wrench (to remove stock spoiler)
1 x Friend (if you donít have any friends, ask a neighbor to help)
1 x Can of WD-40 (OPTIONAL!)
1 x Heat gun (OPTIONAL!)
1 x 24" of fishing line (to un-stick spoiler from deck lid)
1 x Rubbing compound (to remove the existing scratches on the deck from the spoiler)
1 x Locktite
Parts:
4 x STAINLESS! 3/8" Allen head bolts (or any button head bolt)
4 x STAINLESS! Wing-nuts
8 x STAINLESS! 5/8" Fender Washer
8 x RUBBER! (or Neoprene) 5/8" Washers (or 4 small grommets)

Once you have all the parts, start off by removing the allen bolts, located on the underneath side of the deck lid, on the spoiler. Have your friend hold the spoiler in place while you remove the bolts, or you'll have a lot more scratches to get rid of.
Once the bolts are removed, you will have to un-stick the spoiler from the deck lid, use the heat gun and fishing line to help un-stick the 3M pads that connect the spoiler to the deck, a little WD-40 will help remove the sticky-ness from the spoiler, also, helping you get it off the deck lid. The dealer left the film on the 3M pads on mine, so I did not need to use any WD-40.
NOTE: A few others, and I, have noticed the SMALL SPOILER may be connected solely by the 3M pads. BE ADVISED, You will have a bitch of a time getting the spoiler off.
REMEMBER: WD-40 + Flame = FIRE!...so no smoking while using WD-40
Once you have the spoiler off, take a little time and buff/wax your deck lid. You will need to use your rubbing compound to remove any scratches the spoiler left.
Once you are finished with that, youíll need to remove all of your new hardware from its packaging. And install into the holes in this order:
Button head bolt => Fender washer => Rubber washer => (Deck lid) => Rubber washer => Fender washer => Locktite => Wing-nut.
Once you have the bolts into place, line up the washers and make sure that the rubber washers sit flush with the deck lid. Donít forget a little Locktite. Then tighten the wing-nuts down, HAND TIGHT! Do NOT over tighten the bolts, or you will put indents into your deck lid.
Once you did that, YOURE DONE! Close your trunk, and take a pic! Then post it up on here! You may also want to check and make sure that you tightened the bolts enough to be watertight. You can also substitute the bolts/washers for different sizes. PM me with any questions you may have.

Here are some pics:
Back view...

Side view...

a (blurry) closeup of the inside:
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

handyjoe on 11-14-2006, 11:30 AM
LOL, 1xFriend.

I think I have those lying around.

Anyhow, you wouldn't happen to know the size of the holes for the small spoiler, would you?
socalsilverRL on 11-14-2006, 11:40 AM
^^^the holes on the small spoiler are the same as the aero, EXCEPT...
each hole has 2 extra outlining holes that surround the existing holes...
...kinda like a stenciled "o", that surrounds the existing holes. Its just a little smaller in diameter than the large 1.25" fender washers you see on the underside of my trunk.
...they kinda look like this ==> "(o)"

Last edited by socalsilverRL; 12-19-2006 at 10:26 AM..
jbing81 on 03-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I just did this with the small spoiler. took about 45 minutes to get the spoiler off. Others need to be careful when removing the small because of the different hole pattern. While pulling up to remove I also pulled up on the hole too, deforming the hole pattern as a result. So with that said, if anyone else tries this with the small spoiler use a lot of caution when removing
superbird on 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM
you guys are all ghey the wing makes the car
silversatrn on 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Talking

thanks man....will probably get this done this week!
kride88 on 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
looking for the aero spoiler....

I was wondering if anyone has taken their spoiler off for good and would like to sell it to me?

I've looked everywhere but only been able to find the small spoiler that comes on the IONs and I don't like that one at all.
BigBrother on 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Have a Pacific Blue one I tried to sell and nobody made a reasonable offer, so if the last post maker still wants one, hit me up. I'd pretty much decided to keep it for remounting if I ever wanted too, but I'm willing to part with it to save the storage space, lol.
nightmistwalker on 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM
when i removed my aero spoiler it left marks on the decklid that could not be buffed off. they were marks of where the spoiler was actually rubbing on the decklid and had actually rubbed right thru the red paint .lucky for me a bud of mine is going to help out by repainting the decklid and new flat wing for me
BigBrother on 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Okay - anybody else have a BITCH of a time with this?! I CANNOT get ths wing off, and I'm starting to get really pissed.

Bolts out: check.

Fishing line under the wing: not so much. The inside front corner of the base on each side might as well be fucking welded to the car. Fishing line gets caught and eventually breaks. Goo-Gone and WD-40 not helping. I've got both sides to the same point - 3/4 loose, 1/2 of the front edge and the inside edge just wont budge. If I lift any harder, I'll crack the whole thing. The edge in question is sucked down so tight that the line won't go under it from the front no matter what, and I've got it as far as I can get from behind. I'm to the point where I'm looking for hidden extra bolts and shit, there's no way in hell a 3M pad is doing this and won't lift a little!

On another note, I have a superior methos for filling the holes! Don't want screw or bolt heads and washers sticking out like a sore thumb? I discovered something called the "elevator bolt". Think carriage bolt, but with a wider top surface that's completely flat, and available with a very short threaded section. 4 of these babies + a rubber weasher or O=ring on top, one nut and one washer (I'm reusing the 4 from the stock mounting if I ever get the damned wing off) underneath and viola! Almost flush on top, flat metal disk that's paintable (I'm using some black caliper paint leftover from my brakes and topping it with clearcoat left from the nite-shades project).

Lowe's and Home Depot are a bit thin on these babies, I had to go to a specialty supplier, but check around - they exist, and they're cheap, and they look better than a washer/bolt/screw head on the rear deck.

Also found a pack of "rubber bumpers" at autozone that look like theyll do nicely and not require any additional hardware - but since the fucking wing won't come off, I haven't got to experiment yet. Will update when I can.

Last edited by BigBrother; 05-18-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement