How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > HowTo & Product Reviews > HowTo Section

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn
golden chicken
11-11-2011

Ignition Switch:

There are three (3) 7mm screws that hold the bottom of the steering column trim together. Remove those and the bottom two trim pieces of steering column trim split apart.

Unplug the green connector on the ignition switch. It's at the other end of the lock cylinder from the key. There are two T15 torx screws that hold the switch in place. You will most likely need a T15 torx bit (not a socket) and a low profile ratchet because the space you have to work in is very small.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON to release the switch from the cylinder.

Install is the reverse.

Passlock Relearn:

Attempt to start the car (yes, that means push the clutch, too). Leave the key in the ON position. The passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

Wait 10 minutes for the passlock light to stop blinking and go out.

Shut off the ignition.

Wait at least 5 seconds. If you are impatient you will have to start over.

Attempt to start the car (yes, that means push the clutch, too). Leave the key in the ON position. The passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

Shut off the ignition.

Shut off the ignition.

Attempt to start the car. If you have done things right, the car should start and you are good to go!
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

qwikredline11 on 11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
thanks GC great for you to help the Redliners . Folks may confuse the switch ( the black thingie on the end of the lock assy, which has an anti-theft break on removal feature so cannot be reused.) with the key and lock cylinder.

so dont be confused lol
RLProfessional on 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
It should be noted that 90% of us will have to do this at least one time..some more than others. It's good to carry an extra an extra ignition switch around in the glove box lol
golden chicken on 11-12-2011, 01:30 AM
I've done it 4 times already and I might have to do another.
RLProfessional on 11-12-2011, 08:04 AM
^
Lmao.... Maybe carry an extra 2 or 3 then lol
ScottKilpatrick on 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
ACD1461F is the part #. Found cheapest on Amazon

Last edited by ScottKilpatrick; 01-03-2012 at 08:54 PM..
OmegaRush on 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
My ignition still locks my car if it's cold. If I buy the switch myself and follow these steps, I should be ok? I told I read that the dealer would charge about $200 to replace my ignition switch.
bluesat on 01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I was told that too but that is not true. Ignition switch is around $35 and follow these step and bam. It's fixed. First two winters of having my car I had to use a blow dryer on it to warm it up. It sucked bad. Good luck. This is a easy fix
OmegaRush on 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Appreciate it. I'll try it out. Tired of waking up early just to possible deal with my car an extra 30 min.
bluesat on 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
oh yeah man i dealt with it from the start of having the car. beware though this relearn process might take a few times. took me twice and after the first one my battery died and i had to recharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement