Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn

92K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Cthomas0011 
#1 ·
Ignition Switch:

There are three (3) 7mm screws that hold the bottom of the steering column trim together. Remove those and the bottom two trim pieces of steering column trim split apart.

Unplug the green connector on the ignition switch. It's at the other end of the lock cylinder from the key. There are two T15 torx screws that hold the switch in place. You will most likely need a T15 torx bit (not a socket) and a low profile ratchet because the space you have to work in is very small.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON to release the switch from the cylinder.

Install is the reverse.

Passlock Relearn:

Attempt to start the car (yes, that means push the clutch, too). Leave the key in the ON position. The passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

Wait 10 minutes for the passlock light to stop blinking and go out.

Shut off the ignition.

Wait at least 5 seconds. If you are impatient you will have to start over.

Attempt to start the car (yes, that means push the clutch, too). Leave the key in the ON position. The passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

Shut off the ignition.

Shut off the ignition.

Attempt to start the car. If you have done things right, the car should start and you are good to go!

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
I have been having a problem getting this to work. I have tried the proceedure an ungodly amount of times. The first time I had the normal messages such as the service engine words blinking and the theft lock flashing. It didn't fire up after the first run and I had to go so I put the old one in and she started up.....

Now when I try to do the procedure, there are no messages, my car goes through the normal start up process but does not fire up. I have tried going through the relearn process and nothing happens, except for now when I turn the key to the off position all of the dashboard lights stay on.

Not sure if I should continue trying the relearn process as I don't want to kill my battery. I was thinking there might be a way to reset the ecu safety mechanism so I unplugged the battery and tried the relearn process but nothing happens. My car still starts with the old one when it is warm but I can not figure out how to get the procedure to work as it should. Do I need to get another switch or ?

#15 ·
I'd try another switch. Key off, car still on sounds like something is messed up to me.

FWIW, the first time I replaced the switch, the car started immediately and I didn't have to do the passlock relearn at all.

#21 ·
I'm having ignition problems but don't think it's the same issue... I have to jiggle the key for like 15-90 seconds to get it to catch and turn, it's like the lock is seized or something. I've had new keys made thinking maybe it was just worn down a bit but that didn't make a difference. Not sure what to do now, gonna take it to a locksmith if nobody has advice

#22 ·
its probably your ignition key cylinder they wear out over time
you have two options
1) buy new from a dealership and then have a locksmith change your door locks to fit or just leave it so you have two keys
2) have a locksmith repair your ignition .... to me this is trivial about how well they can repair it or how long it will last
also i dont know if you have to have the dealership program the new ignition cylinder to the car?? i know they have to do it for the cobalts but they have a chip in the key that is read by the ignition itself so??
good luck

#23 ·
Switch replacement

I just replaced my ignition switch with a new one from Napa.
I ran through the relearn process and what do you know!
My brand new switch is a piece of junk. It works sometimes and not others.
Mostly it works on the return from the start position, when it does at all.
During the relearn process I took apart the old switch. It came apart fairly easily, I placed the switch in my vice with the tabs up and carefully pried it open. Then I gently pulled the switch apart. It is pretty straight forward inside, not really much to go wrong in there. So I cleaned out the grease and sprayed it with some Deoxit Gold #5. Putting it back together was a bit time consuming.
There are some small plastic parts that must fit back in the correct groves. Take your time and don't force anything, if it's not going in easily something is not lined up. Back in the old switch went, did the relearn again and it works perfectly. Someone said here that the switch had a onetime use part that would break, I did not have that problem. Bad switch returned. Hope this helps someone else. RobD

#25 ·
Ignition Switch:

There are three (3) 7mm screws that hold the bottom of the steering column trim together. Remove those and the bottom two trim pieces of steering column trim split apart.

Unplug the green connector on the ignition switch. It's at the other end of the lock cylinder from the key. There are two T15 torx screws that hold the switch in place. You will most likely need a T15 torx bit (not a socket) and a low profile ratchet because the space you have to work in is very small.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON to release the switch from the cylinder.

Install is the reverse.

Passlock Relearn:

Shut off the ignition.

Shut off the ignition.

Shut off the ignition.

Attempt to start the car. If you have done things right, the car should start and you are good to go!
so what do i do if the security light doesnt blink but stays on constantly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.