Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Supercharged 2.2L Ion Sedan

22K views 87 replies 20 participants last post by  IonNinja 
#1 ·
Since the install & tune on this build is coming to an end...thought you RL guys might be interested.

Behold, my 2.2L Supercharged Ion Sedan :pimp:

The initial teardown, getting all the old stuff outta the way...

FASTL61 holding the blower...

After ripping all the old shit outta the way, threw the IM on.

During the build we ran into a setback (one of a few but this was the most significant). The tensioner pulley would not fit with the stock motor mount. So, it needed to be modified :mofo:

After 2 days of grinding away we were able to make it work. Safest bet to overcome this problem though is to just run an 06+ Cobalt engine mount and lower bracket. I will be picking that up soon for myself...

After that was squared away, test fitting the blower...

Then the heat exhanger install. Hangs a little low but I bought it with the brackets already mounted. It will do for now...

Fast forward to a couple days later and you have the (almost) finished product :)

And of course a vid of the car in action...

Car is not 100% tuned yet but is getting there. I think 1 or 2 more revised tunes and I should be good to go.

P.S. - Don't make fun of my driver mod lol :boohoo:

See less See more
1 11
#7 ·
Check this guy out! Takes a 2.2 and makes it an LSJ clone. Then you got CC08 that has a "Sport" and badges it to be a Super Sport to make people think he has more than he really has. Much more respect for someone doing it this way, I feel. Sorry to thread jack. Maybe we can all refer CC08 to this thread to see how to do it the right way.

Good job Ionninja!

#14 ·
hawt build man, always liked your Ion, nice you got the added kick to back the looks...

#17 ·
theres a guy here in Houston who has a black Cobalt 2.2 sedan supercharged, thing looks great and it runs well... he's putting stockish lsj power down. like 207whp, and 197 wtq... he's got the SS front lip, and rear lip, and some side skirts, slammed on wheels... car looks great.

grat job on being the 1st ion sedan ( that i know of) that's done it! solid build.

#39 · (Edited)
Yeah, the front end conversion is cool, but it would totally blow your cover, and completely ruin the sleeper effect. And heck, by the time you pay for all that you could have just bought a redline!

Are you running (or trying to run) a Bosch pump? they are notorious for pooping out on you. Like Shaun says, you should definitely see the coolant flowing when you look down the filler neck.

#37 · (Edited)
btw, question for you guys...how do I know for sure whether coolant is running through my intercooler system?

i've got clear hose (ZZP) and it doesn't appear to move at all, even though I can hear the IC pump run. also when I first filled the system, air bubbles appeared to stop flowing to the top after about 30min. and I haven't had to re-fill the system yet...been about a week.

I thought this is something I was going to have to do for a couple days til the air gets out of the system? Could it be because I'm only running a Cobra HE alone (no LSJ HE)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.