Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Going in the shop...

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Blue N Boosted 
#1 ·
Well, the RL's going into the shop on Wed. afternoon.

Whenever I start it (when it's cold) it'll go up to it's normal 1.5 to 2 thousand rev then kick back down to 1k. It immediately drops past 1k and drops to about 200 to 300 and struggles with itself. It's doing something b/c the boost guage has it around 5 psi. After about 10 secs. of almost dying it kicks back up to 2 and immediatly levels off around 1 where until it warms up.

Today after work was the first time it actually stalled out on my while doing this. Hopefully they fix it that same day.

Anybody else experience anything like this or have any suggestions?/

Thanks...
Bob

#2 ·
its your air intake. Either you did Barrys mod and didnt get it perfect or the Map was screwed up.

#3 ·
That is exactly what mine has done from day one. I have had it in the shop 7 times for this problem. It has had every cam sensor flash and disc upgrade, catylic replaced, fuel injectors replaced, and stil does it from time to time. Saturn extended my warranty and made a car payment for my trouble after we thought it had finally stopped. I am in Indiana and with this cold weather this weekend I have had it do it every morning since saturday. I dont know what is going on but have another but I hope it is fixed soon.

when your car did this did it blow black smoke out your exhaust when you attempted to push on the gas? MY tailpipe is no longer chrome it is black.

My car is still completely stock too.

#4 ·
I havent had that problem but mine did this to me this morning. I hoped in to go to work, it was in the 40's out side, i turned the key and nothing..... Service engine was in the odometer. I tryed 3 times. I pulled the key out and put it back in and then it fired up like everything was fine. I dunno, strange. Has anybody else had anything like this happen?

#6 ·
mine does the no start service engine thing too. They have my car for the crank not cam but crank sensor right now. They ordered the wrong parts and now I have to wait for it. Bastards

#7 ·
MrCleanY0 said:
Black smoke....hell yeah it had a ton of it. I figured a light would've come on or something, but no. Started it on Saturday morning actually.
Hell MrClean I had so much black smoke blow out of mine that my wife thought my car caught on fire. It began to idle right but still blew smoke out a mile down the road and yes mine did not give me a light either. I have had Jacksonville, FL; Savannah, GA; and Terre Haute, IN Saturn service dept. look at it and say they have no idea what is wrong.

how many miles do you have? and mine also does this the next day after long trips between FL and IN.

#9 ·
MrCleanY0 said:
Not even 4500 miles on it. I hope it's something simple AND i get an extended warrenty :D....i can still dream.
I do hope you do not have this reaccuring problem I do, but if it does continue call corporate and they will do everything in their power to ease your inconvence, they did me.

I got 19K on mine.

#10 ·
Black smoke? Sounds like some sort of oil is being burned. Probably an oil leak somewhere. I've heard some RL owners have real bad oil leaks. I don't know of anything else that it could be if there's black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Anyone else have any ideas?

#14 ·
Well, just picked her up from the shop and they found nothing wrong with it. NOTHING!!!! ugh....i guess I'll find out what the deal is when I start it tomorrow morning. They called and made sure my software was up to date and it was. So now what??? maybe a faulty throttle body or perhaps some bad injectors. I have no idea.

Bob

#15 ·
nbuddle: I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but i just read it. I'm almost positive that if your car goes in more than 3 times for the same problem, you can get a new one under the lemon law. I'm not sure if it's a michigan thing, or if it's federal (i think it's federal), but i'd sure check into it if you've had your car in 7 going on 8 times!

#16 ·
Well at just over 2000 miles, my Red Line is doing exactly as MrCleanYo described. Yesterday and this morning have been pretty cool (40s F) and every time teh car sits for four or more hours it does the same thing. I am calling to setup an appointment to have it serviced today. I will let you know what I find out.

#17 · (Edited)
Just got mine out of the shop yesterday - they did the cam seal recall, the PCM reprogram, replaced the heater/AC fan motor (was whining in position #1), insulated the sunroof control bezel (rattled), and addressed the rear bumper/fascia issue - I have to get another Saturn dealer in their dealer group to repaint the rear fascia - not good on a black car.

For info, based on the lemon law info earlier, I investigate and formally report on lemon law cases, the majority of which are GM. Most states have very similar lemon laws, and there's a Federal statute (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act) to back the LL up. The problem is that the manufacturer just doesn't roll over and play dead when you approach them after declaring your car a "lemon". Saturn is BETTER than most manufacturers, but still likes to fight. Good luck, and if you need any LL advice or info, feel free to drop me a PM.

#18 ·
grrrrr.......my AC/heater is whining in position 1 too and mine is an 2004. You would think that they would fix this problem on the 05's....And I'm over on my warranty...

But anyways, happy to see all the problems were fixed, I hope they don't continue

#19 · (Edited)
Well I just got off the phone with the dealer. I am taking my baby in for the Camshaft Housing Seal replacement and an ECU upgrade. I am pleased that the service advisor I spoke with knew about both issues and has dealt with them before. I hope that these steps alleviate the issues I am having.

#20 ·
Ionchick said:
grrrrr.......my AC/heater is whining in position 1 too and mine is an 2004. You would think that they would fix this problem on the 05's....And I'm over on my warranty...

But anyways, happy to see all the problems were fixed, I hope they don't continue
The heater fan motor probably cross-references to another GM part in older cars and you could pick it up cheaply - it's a pretty easy swap, in case you or a friend or relative wanted to replace it. It drove me NUTS, because I rarely use my fan on higher speeds and always have it on #1.

#21 ·
Mine does this same thing, one question, did it seem worse in the winter? Now that it's gotten a little warmer here, I never notice it. Might just be the fact that I have the windows open more. I think mine's worse in position #2...

#22 ·
Juggernaut said:
I havent had that problem but mine did this to me this morning. I hoped in to go to work, it was in the 40's out side, i turned the key and nothing..... Service engine was in the odometer. I tryed 3 times. I pulled the key out and put it back in and then it fired up like everything was fine. I dunno, strange. Has anybody else had anything like this happen?
posibly the electrical part of ignition switch, once it warms up it works.

#23 ·
nbuddle1974 said:
That is exactly what mine has done from day one. I have had it in the shop 7 times for this problem. It has had every cam sensor flash and disc upgrade, catylic replaced, fuel injectors replaced, and stil does it from time to time. Saturn extended my warranty and made a car payment for my trouble after we thought it had finally stopped. I am in Indiana and with this cold weather this weekend I have had it do it every morning since saturday. I dont know what is going on but have another but I hope it is fixed soon.

when your car did this did it blow black smoke out your exhaust when you attempted to push on the gas? MY tailpipe is no longer chrome it is black.

My car is still completely stock too.
i'd claim lemon law and ask for a new RL, there is no reason it should still do it after that many times in the shop...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.