Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Took a Redline for a test drive today

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  JuGgInRoCk 
#1 ·
Well I went to the dealership I bought my SC2 from to go test drive a Redline before I go and buy one with the Competition Package (which I will have to do a lot of debating with my parents for this one). So I pull up to the lot and immediately see 2 Redlines, one blue and one silver, sitting side by side diagonally parked next to the regular QCs. I immediately slam the brakes and start drooling. The guy behind me lays on his horn and I snap back to reality and park. I go inside and am immediately greeted by the same guy that sold me my SC2. We chat for a bit, and I talk him into a test drive.

He pulls the car up to the doors and he pops the hood to put the dealer tag on. I notice the trunk lid mounting is exactly the same as my SC2 so I will easily be able to do the trunk flip mod like I have on my car now. That's just a sidenote that I'm not too worried about. So he drives it off the lot and gives it a good run, chirping up to 3rd and pulling like a madman, and does a nice little slalom thing on a backroad at like 60. That car rides like it's on rails. The handling was comparable to my friend's RSX Type-S with a full Tein suspension. He pulls into a parking lot and it’s my turn to drive. I get to start it because he accidentally left it in gear. I turn the key quick and let it go, but it didn't have that feature that everyone was talking about how it will keep trying to start even without you constantly holding the key turned. No big deal. So I go and let out too much clutch without enough gas, the car jumps then stalls. I learn from my mistake, and we're off. Now there was one thing that was bothering me the ENTIRE time I was driving. The floormat. I don't have them in my SC2, and my heel was constantly getting caught on the edge and I wouldn't let the clutch out all the way until my foot got unstuck. This was just because I’m not used to having floormats and is no fault of the Redline.

Now, to say this car is better than my SC2 is a gross understatement. The ION QC is better than my SC2. The Redline was leaps and bounds above the SC2. Now from hanging out on these forums, I knew that the tach was a few hundred rpms behind the actual engine speed, and this prevented me from nipping the limiter at all while driving. I made several trips to redline but didn’t hit the limiter at all, which surprised both me and the salesman. Now my SC2 is autotragic, but my friend’s SC2 is manual and I’ve shifted his a couple times so I was used to where his gears were. I had some trouble finding 3rd when I tried to shift quickly, I wasn’t going far enough over.

This car is freaking awesome! I am totally in love with this car. I am hoping to get a Competition Package Redline by Christmas. I’m going to need a lot of help talking my parents into this one.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you enjoyed the RL. One thing I would suggest you do is call the insurance company you have and get a quote for the price difference that it would cost you to go to a Red Line from what you have now. If your parents are paying (or helping) you with your insurance, 1) this will make them feel good knowing that you are taking into consideration the amount of $$$ the change will make, and 2) make them think that you are trying to plan ahead before you jump into a big investment, parents are suckers for children showing them a little fiscal responsibility. Oh and 3) it also helps if you maybe try to do something to help offset any increase in cost of ownership (i.e. job that pays more or a job in general). Oh and which color did you like best by the way, the Blue or Silver?

#5 ·
TXRLU said:
Glad you enjoyed the RL. One thing I would suggest you do is call the insurance company you have and get a quote for the price difference that it would cost you to go to a Red Line from what you have now. If your parents are paying (or helping) you with your insurance, 1) this will make them feel good knowing that you are taking into consideration the amount of $$$ the change will make, and 2) make them think that you are trying to plan ahead before you jump into a big investment, parents are suckers for children showing them a little fiscal responsibility. Oh and 3) it also helps if you maybe try to do something to help offset any increase in cost of ownership (i.e. job that pays more or a job in general). Oh and which color did you like best by the way, the Blue or Silver?
Thanks for the advice, I plan on doing all those things, especially the job part. I'm going to be bouncing summer classes and a job, and I go on co-op for fall and winter terms, so hopefully my co-op money will go toward car payments in addition to the school tuition. And I'm a sucker for blue cars.

simo said:
lol are you spoiled rotten? do your parents buy your cars for you
No, I'm not. And my parents covered the difference on my SC2, they did that for my sister, and they only did that for me because the car was about 2k more than I had. They pay for insurance and that's it. I pay for parts, maintenance, repairs, gas, and everything else. I'm quite insulted that you would assume that about me. Where did I say anything about my parents paying for my car? I mentioned them because they don't like the idea of me getting a new car. My sister had to wait until she graduated, so that means I should too. Well I'm tired of waiting. I'm not gonna wait 5 more years (Drexel co-op plan) for a new car.

jet1319 said:
Just so you know I wasn't getting on the car as hard as I could :)
And you had the AC on and it still pulled like a beast :D

#6 ·
My dad didn't like the idea of me buying a new car either (not even being 19 yet...lol) and especially one that has a blower on it:D. So I just told him to drive it and finally he did. While he was in the seat...nothing but smiles :rolleyes: . I knew from that point on, if I could afford it, it was mine:D Best of luck to you on getting a RL.

#9 ·
hey xxgarbsxx how do you do that trunk flip thing i like that and im thinkin of doing it?

#10 ·
pclear9061 said:
hey xxgarbsxx how do you do that trunk flip thing i like that and im thinkin of doing it?
Yes, please share.

#11 ·
Ok, but if everyone starts doing this, I want credit because it's MY personal method. Those cheap ebay kits are just hinges you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes, and most of them the holes don't line up with where you would need to drill. Keep in mind that this mod is IRREVERSIBLE TO THE TRUNK LID ITSELF but its effects can be undone. The pictures are pretty self explanatory, but in the bottom hole that I left empty, I would advise using a cotter pin so the trunk lid doesn't flip up a little bit while it's closed.

Attachments

#12 ·
does it still seal completely so no water leaks in?????

#14 ·
and after a rain or what ever when you open the trunk like that does water come pooring in or does it stay on the trunk lid?

#16 ·
sounds good. i remember seeing something almost exactly like this on pimp my ride and they put a projecter and two speakers on the inside on the trunk so when it came up she could have her own drive in plus there was a popcorn maker in the center console . it was on a convertable labaron (sp).

#17 ·
are the 2005 RL really 2.2L or are they 2.0L like the 04

#19 ·
it says on K&N's webnsite under upcomming events or somthing like that and it says that they need 05 redline with 2.2L in Riverside,CA.

#23 ·
Can't really tell but was there any cuttin on the underneath of the trunk or is that were the bars originally laid? Looks really cool and i would def give u the credit, but i don't want to do any cutting and void anything

#25 ·
she was a total stuck up bitch huh? man x just needed to give her a nice wake up call and just jack the car from her and make her walk home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.