Question about changing rear brakes - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > ION Redline Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 11
Arrow Question about changing rear brakes

I have an '04 RL and last night I was able to change my front brakes just fine. On the rear brakes, I am having trouble compressing the calliper to fit it back over the pads. Seems like the emergency brake is adding pressure or something and not allowing me to compress the calliper. Any ideas how to relieve that pressure so the calliper can be compressed? Do I have to bleed the lines?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I always appreciate the help from those with experience on my problems. This is the first car I have had that have wanted to do most of the work on myself.
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm hungry
 
mantiskungfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: sitting in a chair picking my nose
Posts: 6,689
are you twisting the calliper? the rear brakes need to be pressed and twisted to compress, more like screwing it in than compressing it...
__________________
free video games

GMP-ONE Mother Bitch

Mikeyredline, Audio God to the GMP-ONE

Page 1171 it's Eagle Time.

mantiskungfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
qwikredline11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 4,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
I have an '04 RL and last night I was able to change my front brakes just fine. On the rear brakes, I am having trouble compressing the calliper to fit it back over the pads. Seems like the emergency brake is adding pressure or something and not allowing me to compress the calliper. Any ideas how to relieve that pressure so the calliper can be compressed? Do I have to bleed the lines?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I always appreciate the help from those with experience on my problems. This is the first car I have had that have wanted to do most of the work on myself.
there are two vee shaped slots in the rear caliper piston face. you have to screw the caliper piston back into the caliper by locking a service tool into these pins and rotating clockwise to bottom the caliper piston before installing new pads. If you don't have the tool try with a couple of helpers to hold the caliper, and hold the screw drivers putting two flat head screw drivers in vertically to the slots and then a third screw driver in between the two screwdrivers, to rotate the piston. Once installed, ratchet the handbrake lever a few times to wind out the caliper piston to get good hand brake actuation. good luck
qwikredline11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11
there are two vee shaped slots in the rear caliper piston face. you have to screw the caliper piston back into the caliper by locking a service tool into these pins and rotating clockwise to bottom the caliper piston before installing new pads. If you don't have the tool try with a couple of helpers to hold the caliper, and hold the screw drivers putting two flat head screw drivers in vertically to the slots and then a third screw driver in between the two screwdrivers, to rotate the piston. Once installed, ratchet the handbrake lever a few times to wind out the caliper piston to get good hand brake actuation. good luck
or when I did it, a pair of needlenose pliers worked well. It should only be a handful of turns before its bottomed out
__________________
2004 BLUE Ion Redline

All you need in life is two things: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.

Installed: K&N CAI, B&M shifter, IRotor cross drill rotors, Hawk pads, Vector 940 (soon hardwired)
Next up: CTI over axle bend with magnaflow
ESV0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stage3ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 668
yes the twist is necessary... i tried to force it for like 20 mins before i relized that lol
__________________
2006 black ion redline
Performance: CAI, 2.5" straightpipe exhaust, zzp 2.7" pulley, siemens 60 lb injectors, stage 3 hp tuners program, 2 stage cooler plugs, shortened belt
Visual: 10% tint all around, custom fiberglassed and painted 3 gauge pillar, flat black rl rims, painted tailights and headlights, CF emblems
Coming soon: front mount, meth kit, wideband, lowering springs, hood risers, rearview mirror with temp and direction
stage3ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
watts_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MD.
Posts: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11
there are two vee shaped slots in the rear caliper piston face. you have to screw the caliper piston back into the caliper by locking a service tool into these pins and rotating clockwise to bottom the caliper piston before installing new pads. If you don't have the tool try with a couple of helpers to hold the caliper, and hold the screw drivers putting two flat head screw drivers in vertically to the slots and then a third screw driver in between the two screwdrivers, to rotate the piston. Once installed, ratchet the handbrake lever a few times to wind out the caliper piston to get good hand brake actuation. good luck
Yes! The caliper tool works great, see if you can rent one from the auto parts store. The 1st time I did mine, I was able to get the pads in without it, but the 2nd time, the caliper wouldn't compress, even when I spun the piston. It needed to be spun and squeezed at the same time, which is exactly what that tool does.
watts_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Shabodah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Walker's Kingdom
Posts: 11,409
I swear the threads on the pistons must be invisible or something.....


Seriously folks, GM started doing this on rear brakes 20 years ago.
__________________
Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
Shabodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stage3ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 668
well i never changed my brakes before this car... this is the only car i do all the work to, everything else i pay someone to do it
stage3ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
qwikredline11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 4,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts-Up
Yes! The caliper tool works great, see if you can rent one from the auto parts store. The 1st time I did mine, I was able to get the pads in without it, but the 2nd time, the caliper wouldn't compress, even when I spun the piston. It needed to be spun and squeezed at the same time, which is exactly what that tool does.
10-4...........................
qwikredline11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mattman6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 8,474


and a pic of the tool, being used on my car
Mattman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Brakes bryanmckinlay Performance Modifications 8 11-20-2007 08:36 AM
Rear Brakes are Grinding Again TheWastedYears Problems & Troubleshooting 9 06-20-2007 07:52 PM
Rear brakes. SPLREDLINE Problems & Troubleshooting 14 01-05-2007 12:20 PM
Changing rear pads TheWastedYears Problems & Troubleshooting 4 12-13-2006 11:11 AM
Anyone do the rear brakes yet?? Need some help! Sp00ner Performance Modifications 15 01-28-2006 07:26 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2