Saturn Ion to Redline engine swap - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > ION Redline Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Saturn Ion to Redline engine swap

I was wondering, if at all possible, would I be able to swap the Redline's motor into my 04 Saturn Ion3. If anyone has any info at all or if its not worth it or what, lemme know. All input is welcomed.

Thaaaank you
Candlejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Professor

is your ion 3 an automatic? if yes, then you'll need the F35 tranny from an 04 (04's have different motor mounts than 05+)

i believe that the 2004 uses a different ecm that has not been unlocked as of yet by HP Tuners, so you would either need an LSJ pcm or some kind of trifecta tuning.

it is very possible to do this, however it might be more trouble than its worth. if you can find a cheap used LSJ, and are competent enough to do it yourself, then why not?

some people just buy the supercharger setup (supercharger, intake manifold, alternator, belt system, intercooler system) and retro-fit it to the 2.2L. that might be a better, and cheaper alternative. then all you need to worry about is tuning. like i said above, i don't think hpt has unlocked any ion that was not a redline, so you'd have to PM vince at trifecta.

good luck
Tennpenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

well its a manual, but where could I buy the supercharger and manifold and all that? Is there a certain kit or would I have to basically find everything and bring it all together myself? Doing it myself is no problem, a few friends are great mechanics/tuners, but maybe you could direct me to a kit or just in the right direction.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Candlejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
well its a manual, but where could I buy the supercharger and manifold and all that? Is there a certain kit or would I have to basically find everything and bring it all together myself? Doing it myself is no problem, a few friends are great mechanics/tuners, but maybe you could direct me to a kit or just in the right direction.

Lots of issues, the LSJ wont bolt up to your M23 trans, the class 2 interface pcm to bcm wont work for your LSJ to Ion 3 swap, the fuel system is different etc etc...good idea go find a cheap lsj and sell your Ion 3....
Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post

you can just pull all the parts off a wrecked cobalt ss/ion redline, or you could just keep your eye on rlf and css.net to see if someone is going turbo conversion. you will need the supercharger, intake manifold, intercooler/aftercooler/heat exchanger, alternator, tensioner and belt (the belt system on the lsj's are routed different) intercooler pump, fuel injectors, colder range spark plugs and some good tuning.

a good person to talk to is jn2 on cobalt ss.net - he's done the same thing, just on a cobalt. he can guide you in the right direction on all the parts, but again, the tuning is what you need most.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11 View Post
Lots of issues, the LSJ wont bolt up to your M23 trans, the class 2 interface pcm to bcm wont work for your LSJ to Ion 3 swap, the fuel system is different etc etc...good idea go find a cheap lsj and sell your Ion 3....
i was about to suggest that... find a used IRL or ss/sc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement