Timing chain and exhaust question - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > ION Redline Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timing chain and exhaust question

Ok so I've asked about it before when it comes to the stupid timing chain tensioner. I've been holding off changing it for a couple of months, but now the intermittent "clacking" is happening more often. Does this mean I should change it asap? I don't want to be driving one day and blow the motor

Second on the list. As marked in my signature I have the Vibrant header downpipe combo linked up to the Magnaflow cat back. I would of bought the Vibrant cat back, but I came across the Magnaflow one at my local shop for less than cost price, so naturally I took it. This was back in September 08. Then in April 09 the resonator took a shit and had to be replaced. 100$ right there. Then ever since mid summer 09 until now it's been sounding like ass. Now on idle I can hear metallic rattles in the muffler. Is it the sound suppression materials that are finished?

I ordered a new muffler from Vibrant (150$) hoping to cure the sound. But honestly I don't think it will help. I've checked with a magnet and it won't stick to the Vibrant components but on the Magnaflow it does. So clearly their claimed 100% T304 stainless steel exhausts is pure bs.

I've never had an issue with the Vibrant part ever since installed in May 08. Some advice on maybe how to fix my horrible exhaust sound would be great and if needed I'll post a vid for you guys. On a last note...never buy Magnaflow...
Mods: K&N CAI with AEM Dryflow filter, Vibrant 4-1 headers with downpipe and high flow cat, Magnaflow cat-back, EBC GD series rotors with Red Stuff Ceramic pads in front and rear, Ingalls torque damper, Eibach springs, B&M short shift.
SilverRedline765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah, go ahead and change your chain tensioner. it's not expensive and actually pretty easy to do.

as for the rattle, perhaps you have some old resonator material trapped in the muffler...or a baffle has broken loose. if you can get under the car and hit the exhaust in different places, you might be able to pinpoint the source of the rattle.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
golden chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

yes change your timing vhain tensior....i made a how to on it. it has the part number and everything.
stag2 mounts, rims,injectors,more!
scotch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

No offense, but your write up is very hard to follow because of bad grammar and makes little sense. No step by step with a picture for each. Either way I get a discount at work to do the job so it won't be that expensive. CED.com for the tensioner and valve cover gasket so I don't pay the outrageous dealer prices for those parts.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a tough time following it the first time through. After reading it a few times I understand it. Seems pretty simple. Pop the old one out and insert the new one.

The SATURN was WAY faster
skatinboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well it's not as simple as popping out the old one. Remove valve cover and change the valve cover gasket as well as the rocker gasket.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have read a few different ways of doing it and you dont really need to remove the valve cover. I cant see how the chain would skip a link. Taking off the valve cover will allow you to secure the chain if you would like to.
skatinboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement