*DRL/HID*/Questions/Help,Please - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > ION Redline Discussion

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formally *Poppz*

Cool *DRL/HID*/Questions/Help,Please

Good Evening Guys//
This "won't be" long,dragged out Questions.I have an aftermarket Installed *Bi-Xenon HID/Headlight System* installed for the Headlights.I've read where some Members here have Projector & Retro-Fit Systems.I do not have the $$$'s to buy or have someone make a set.
So,the HID/System is the 9007-4/HB-5 w/a 6,000 Color.I did "Upgrade" the 12Volt Power Cable & Grnd.to 8/Gauge for the Relay Harness.The fuseholder is a StreetWires 8/Gauge Waterproof,directly to the Positive Post under the Hood.Both the Power/Grnd. Cables are:Soldered and has Adhesive Lined Shrink Tubing and covered them w/*Nylon Filament Sleeving*,Plus where the Cables enter the Fuseholder.
The HID/Bulbs and the Hi/Lo Beams worked very well for a couple of weeks.Than one blew out.I replaced the Bulb and all was good for about a couple of weeks.Than I had no High Beam on the Driver's Side,when I flicked the Hi/Lo
Handle,But still had the light.Switched it to the other side and it still didn't work.Put the Pass. Side Bulb into the Driver's Side and had Hi/Lo Beams.So both the Ballasts are working.
I've read that you have to disconnect the DRL's as it interferes w/HID System operating correctly and will shorten the life of the Bulbs quickly.Well,I never did disconnect the DRL's.I didn't see a Fuse for the DRL's in the Saturn Manual [Owner's].
So,is there indeed a Fuse for them? I do like the HID's and they *Did Not* Blind anyone coming in the Opposite Lane or when Behind anyone,Honestly.And I have a 6000/K Driving Light Kit,not yet Installed.So,can someone tell me if there is a Fuse or how I disconnect the DRL's w/o damaging anything,please? All of the Cables/Ballasts/Etc. are Clamped up and Secure.I made Custom Heavy Duty 3/16" Thick Aluminum Brackets to mount and secure the Ballasts.Thank You for Your:Info/Help & Time to Read.Please...Do Not Bash or Trash my Thread,as I know some do not like the Aftermarket Kits like I have.Have A Good Evening/.
Best Regards//

Best Regards//
Grumppz//
*May God Bless and Be With Our Troops* 24/7*/

[*Ext. Visualz*]New Bling RedLine Alloyz w/McGard Lugz & Lokz/SC Fender Emblemz/Alloy SC Badge/
BWoody [Bling] Alloy Rear Sway Bar/HIDz & Fogz~6K/SPS StrutBrace/Limo Tint/

[*Int. Visualz*]
2~AutoMeter Pro/Comp Liq. Fill Gauges:Boost & Oil Press/
[*Eng Modz*]
OverTheTop Stage~1 Eng & Trans. Mount~GMStage//2~Tunez/

Last edited by Grumppz2007ION SCRedLine; 11-01-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Grumppz2007ION SCRedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Formally *Poppz*

Cool *=O[*/Okay

Morning//
I have 64/Views and noone knows about the DRL's? I guess I may have
pissed some members here.Thanx Anyways,Have A Nice Day/
Regards//
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Poppz,

The DRLs aren't related to the headlights in our cars like other cars. Some cars' DRLs are just the high beams with low power, ours are the blinkers.

In our cars, there is no known way to disable the DRLs.

I believe it might just be the quality of your kit, I'm sorry. You can do all the prep and installation work well, but if you have low quality ballasts/bulbs, they are bound to fail. This is why when we do retrofits we always use quality parts, although they may be slightly more expensive. They WILL last longer, however.

FenderGuitars777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Awesome

We only use parts from the retrofit source..18 month warranty on all Morimoto (store made) parts. Great reputation.

Def save the coin for retrofits Poppz...it is blinding whether people flash you or not. Not trying to make a sale, but prevent headaches and steer you in the right way of doing things which you already seem to be doing with how hard you try to cleanly wire your stuff.

Good luck

Member #01 Black Carpet
I like to make projector headlights
https://www.facebook.com/RLPRetrofitting?ref=hl
RLProfessional is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Formally *Poppz*

Cool *Good Morning Guys*//=O]

Morning Fenders & RLPro//
Thank You Both* for your responses/.I do Understand what you guys are saying and totally agree...The saying:
"You Get What You Pay For" is so true,And I didn't pay alot for the kit as Patti wasn't happy with me buying
*Any Kit*! But,I do Respect you Both for your "Talent and Knowledge" w/the HID's.I'll talk w/Patti and try to tell
her about the Advantage of "Better Quality" HID Kits and the components used in making them....
I know you guys aren't pushing for "The Sale",But are telling me the Pros/Cons between the Kits.And I would've like to have bought those lights you guys make in the first place/.Thank You,Both,Very Much,for taking the Time and Help to Respond.
Have A Nice Day Gentlemen/
Always The Best//
Raymond

Last edited by Grumppz2007ION SCRedLine; 11-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formally *Poppz*

Cool *Good Evening Guys*//

Hello Guys//
I haven't talked w/Patti yet,But,How much $$$$'s do you Guys get for doing the *Bi-Xenon RetroFit Kit*? What is Included in Your Kits/What Bulb Color do you use or is a the Buyers' Choice? Do you have Picz of the Items of the Kit? Just want to see what they look like/.I would not even know how to build these kits,anyways...lol.Like I said,I haven't talked to Patti yet,so I don't know if it's possible to buy the Kit.Jus' being Honest and Sincere.Thank You Both for Your:Time/Help/Info/Understanding & Response.
Have A Good Evening,Guys/
All The Best//
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get back with the company that you ordered the replacement bulb from and ask them to replace that one, you will get dud bulbs from time to time. I vote still for the retro, but in the meanwhile just get the bulb RMO'd and you shouldnt have any issues again.

I had this same thign happen with the VVME kit I had and they just sent me another to replace the dud.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Formally *Poppz*

Smile *Good Evening Sir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikidoshadow View Post
Get back with the company that you ordered the replacement bulb from and ask them to replace that one, you will get dud bulbs from time to time. I vote still for the retro, but in the meanwhile just get the bulb RMO'd and you shouldnt have any issues again.

I had this same thign happen with the VVME kit I had and they just sent me another to replace the dud.
Evening Aikidoshadow//
Yes...I'll do that,as they have a *2/Year* Warranty on the HID/Bulbs.
Thank You/.Have a Good Evening.I'm hoping she'll [Patti] give
it some thought on the RetroFit Kit,as soon as I get a Price.We'll see.
Best Regards//
Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Poppz I'm about to send you a PM.
FenderGuitars777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did the retrofit kit myself. I consider myself to be pretty handy, but the process was quite simple if you take your time and follow the instructions... and I wasnt sure I would be up for it.... I believe it took me 10 hours or so, and that included installing the projectors upside down :doh:

I would reccomend BUYHIDS.com. I got their in-house kit with the Apollo shrouds. I am very happy with the kit, any headaches were absolutely self-inflicted. You will have to swap the highbeam wire on the cobalt kits as the Ion uses a negative switch vs. the cobalt's positive switch, but that is documented on this forum if you do a search
dantheman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
do not have the $$'s