Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

134LOO Build

29K views 290 replies 14 participants last post by  slitterell 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I had a build thread on here but apparently I only have a super friendly dyno sheet. If I can get my car built (again) will be dyno-ing on the same dyno in a couple of weeks (I am sure hopelessly optimisic) but surely by a couple of weeks later for what is called Lone Star Bash, a drag racing event in Temple, TX for all street cars.

134LOO or Baloo is the name of my car and the only way I can get them to work with custom Texas plates. Shortly, I will also have a Sky Redline so I can't name it slitterell's build thread :)

Here is what I have up to this point:

Audio

-Alpine Receiver (forget model but has inputs on rear of deck)
-Rockford Fosgate P6002 pushing a Kicker Enclosed 12" 600W (plenty imo)
-Kicker 600W Amp pushing 4 component 6 1/2 Alpine Type R's
-Custom Audio and usb charging port

Note: I have an audio hum I got AFTER I installed my wideband and only hums when gauge is connected. Grounds are in different areas. I am going to attempt to relocate the remote (on) connection to keep them from sharing the same power on line. Wideband listed below. Thoughts?

Cosmetics

-Custom shift and ebrake boot from RedlineGoods. I thought the color scheme would look good especially if I did the red GS stripes. This will change eventually to blue.

-Ambient Air Temperature in rear view mirror. This mirror was a free upgrade when a tandem axle went through my windshield and they ordered the wrong part and installed it. I had to order the sensor and run the wiring. I found a guide on here (RLF) to help me out

-A-Pillar gauge pod with Wideband and Aeroforce interceptor.

Performance:
-2.9 Pulley m62
-E85
-Custom Tune
-Dual Pass
-Option B
-Magnaflow 2.5 catback
-0ttp Long tubes catted
-AEM Uego Wideband
-Fidanza Flywheel
-GMPP Clutch
-FMHE
-Chain tensioner revision (performance for my chain and my ears haha)
-0TTP axles
-K&N cai
-80# inj
-Hurst sts
-Phenolic Spacer
-Viper Security with SmartStart

I am sure I am missing things but I will add them as I remember.

Mods to come:**UPDATED 2/22/13**

-Ethanasia Ported head (currently being worked on)
-S2 SC ZZP Cams (Ready)
-ARP Studs (Ready)
-Supertech Springs (Ready)
-Single Pass IM (Friend is giving me a IM and I am taking it to a machine shop with specs)
-Hoosier D.O.T. Drag Radial P245/45R17 (Ordered)
-Enkei EDR9-5x110 +38 17X8 (Ordered)
-2.7 & 2.5 Pulleys (Ordered)
-Ice Box (Water to Air Ice Box Reservoir)with some modification to the engine bay, I think I can fit this where the option B goes. ports would likely run though the front support (not sure the proper name). Thoughts are welcome

Unsure

- Balance Shaft Delete: this is more of a when not if
- Dual pump This is just a thought and I am considering running this as a test. I heard of someone talking about trying this but I am not sure they did and I think they were talking about a dual pass design as well. Each pump would have it's own path from the icebox, through the pumps, through the single pass until the heat exchanger. If I understand it right, rate of flow would increase through the intercooler from the y or t pipe into the intercooler all the way back to the reservoir/icebox. The restriction will be where the pipes y but it should increase flow. Thoughts?

Again, thoughts are welcome on all mods or future mods :) I will update later with things I forgotwhen I get back from work

See less See more
#58 ·
Ppl take the Trans way past that, it's all on how nice you are to it.

#60 ·
That's why you don't launch by holding over 4k and dropping the clutch. To launch these cars you have to slip it and/or use a low launch rpm.
This is what I've gathered from talking to and watching people. I'm by no means an expert on it myself.

#61 ·
There's a lot on css that post about doing high 5-6k clutch drops using slicks and not breaking.

That's just scary to me and I'm not sure I can do that. Heck 25-3k seems high to me.

#63 · (Edited)
Just look at any rwd muscle car or platform. You want weight transfer on the drive wheels.

A nice trick the old school muscle car guys used to do was swap bolts on the frt end to loosen up the suspension so when they did a launch the frt end would lift up easier. You want that back end to squat easy and transfer load, Giggity, smooth and easy.

On fwd we're trying to fight ourselves on weight transfer.

#66 ·
My dad use to have a car a few cars (not at the same time) that would pull the front end up out of the lights before it would even start moving forward. We would have to add weights in the front to keep it in the beams long enough to run our quickest numbers. One of them was a RWD chevette. Roll cage, tinned, tubbed, full tubular chassis, with a small block chevy on methanol. It would run a low 9. It was a squirelly car down the track wide open. we used a throttle stop to make it run consist lower numbers.

Anyways, I heard from Jr about the head again. He is done porting it. He tried a new port job that flows better than any one he has done. After completing, he sent me the message saying how tough the port job was and how he won't be doing that port again. So, apparently, I have a unicorn headed my way! I can't wait to get my car running again.

#68 ·
Anyways, I heard from Jr about the head again. He is done porting it. He tried a new port job that flows better than any one he has done. After completing, he sent me the message saying how tough the port job was and how he won't be doing that port again. So, apparently, I have a unicorn headed my way! I can't wait to get my car running again.
The dude knows his stuff.

When is the install?

#67 ·
Tell him to stop being a whiney biotch ;)

#70 ·
I got my drag radials in from being heat cycled.

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

I am still waiting on the head. I am getting impatient :) I miss my car and everything else is in line.

I picked up a spare sc to have rebuilt. I am considering sending it to Steigemeyer(sp?) to have ported and lw rotors. If i do this, I will have a comparison between a 2.7, 2.5, stock sc, and ported lw rotor sc dyno. Finally, hopefully, we will have definitive evidence whether it works or not.

#72 ·
I am considering sending it to Steigemeyer(sp?) to have ported and lw rotors.
That would probably be the last place I would send my blower to for a port. There are members on this forum who could do it better and cheaper. And I am not sure if you have seen this but some GTP guys are having problems with their lightened rotors. I can't seem to find the thread right now...

#73 ·
I am on the fence about it but I have heard mixed reviews. I haven't heard anything from gtp. Saw one lightning that had an issue but he sent them a spare set of rotors and they didn't like his case and he blamed it on them. I have seen rotor swaps gone wrong from the same sc. This looked like one of those imo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#83 ·
A little update, it is back together. I rolled it over to start it and it would start. I didn't have spark. Brand new plugs and coil packs. Plus are connected ted and harness was connect. I was on the phone with Vaughn (JapEatr on here and css) talking about it when we both realized that the cam shaft position sensor was disconnected. That was while I was on my way to work. Reconnected the sensor and now I have spark but I have a wet cylinder so I am now attempting to dry the cylinder then I will attempt another restart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.