Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Exhaust Setup

3K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  New2saturn 
#1 ·
I have decided it is time for me to upgrade the current exhaust set up. I am going to an muffler shop near by that does exhaust work. I am going to have him make a 3 inch pipe from the cat, my only question is what muffler should i go with. I dont care if it is loud accully i think i want it to be loud. ;) if any one has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

#3 ·
BoKaThUg1 said:
I have decided it is time for me to upgrade the current exhaust set up. I am going to an muffler shop near by that does exhaust work. I am going to have him make a 3 inch pipe from the cat, my only question is what muffler should i go with. I dont care if it is loud accully i think i want it to be loud. ;) if any one has any ideas please let me know. Thanks
read my sig theres the muffler I used. It makes my car sound deep as hell.

#4 ·
BoKaThUg1 said:
Make sure they do mandrel bends otherwise you'll lose some performance.

#5 ·
dont forget a resonator. Man you will regret not having one. Ask all the smiths they will tell you the same.

#6 ·
YES!!! Resonater!! OMG..... Before i had one on here, it was so friggin loud you could hear it from no joke almost a mile away. But if you like loud go for it. I might go back to no resonater because i cant hear my car all to well at the track when theres a 10 second muscle car running right next to me! lol:p

#7 ·
Redlinekid_04 said:
YES!!! Resonater!! OMG..... Before i had one on here, it was so friggin loud you could hear it from no joke almost a mile away. But if you like loud go for it. I might go back to no resonater because i cant hear my car all to well at the track when theres a 10 second muscle car running right next to me! lol:p
Well that should only be a problem for a gear or two, then he'll be far enough away :p.

#8 ·
any good straight thorugh muffler will be just fine...i have the magnaflow on the cti system....

#9 ·
where can I get a Resonator, my local shop will did the 3" exhuast, but said they couldn't find a Resonator that would work with a 3" exhaust set up. Any Ideas?

Thanks.

#10 ·
Having a forced induction vehicle, we do not need to have back pressure, correct? Because I have read on these forums that people with the 3" exhaust have had problems with power loss. Is that due to the absence of back pressure or is it the computer not seeing a certain amount of back pressure and making some correction that hinders the performance. I thought that no back pressure was good for vehicles with forced induction because we do not have to play that balacing act with intake/exhaust air pressure? Correct me if I am way off. Please.:confused:

#11 ·
does any one know if there are any good cats that i could replace my current one with, or should i just leave it there.

#13 ·
New2saturn said:
Having a forced induction vehicle, we do not need to have back pressure, correct? Because I have read on these forums that people with the 3" exhaust have had problems with power loss. Is that due to the absence of back pressure or is it the computer not seeing a certain amount of back pressure and making some correction that hinders the performance. I thought that no back pressure was good for vehicles with forced induction because we do not have to play that balacing act with intake/exhaust air pressure? Correct me if I am way off. Please.:confused:
Who's had a loss of power with a 3" exhaust form these forums?

#14 ·
Sp00ner said:
I tried to find the post but to no avail. I may have just mis-read. Anyway, I wanted to make sure that loss of power was not the case if you eliminated back pressure. :)

#15 ·
There's is a chance that you could loose some low end torque, but I've yet to see a dyno that proves it. The only two I've seen of before and after has shown both giving power, and a 3" giving more top end.

#16 ·
That's awesome. If money was no option which header/exhaust setup would you go with?

#17 ·
By the way, what size is the stock pulley for the S/C?

#18 ·
If it were my money, I would go with the SMS header / downpipe (With high flow cat) and either the CTI or Vibrant 3" exhaust.

And yes, you definitely want to get a resonator... As long a resonator as you can fit on the exhaust... Probably 16 - 18"

Otherwise you'll be attracting a lot of attention from the noise pollution patrol, and getting pulled over just for having a loud exhaust...

#19 ·
Sp00ner said:
Everyone...

Show me all the dyno's you want 3" is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. and there are tons of cobalts on .net that will tell you the same thing after switching from a 3" to a 2.5". btw Rob over on .net just got into 12's with what... a 2.5" Corsa catback so :p

omg here it comes:rolleyes: :D

#20 ·
Power loss or not, im still in the low 14's with just the exhaust and a filter. I dont think it will make that much of a difference to tell you the truth. But to add some spice to the mix, me and my bro raced when i first got my exhaust. He had a filter and i did too, all i had over him was exhaust. But guess who won the race? My brother.... Either i sucked at driving back then or exhaust really dont matter until you are pushing some power down. Stock pulley is a 3.35 i believe.

#21 ·
AlphaJaguar5 said:
Everyone...

Show me all the dyno's you want 3" is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. and there are tons of cobalts on .net that will tell you the same thing after switching from a 3" to a 2.5". btw Rob over on .net just got into 12's with what... a 2.5" Corsa catback so :p

omg here it comes:rolleyes: :D
I agree with Alpha, 2.5" is the way to go with our cars. I'm not going to even go in with why because it's been beaten to death. But I personally feel the 2.5" is the way to go.

#22 ·
I really dont think there is goign to be that much of a difference, but to each there own.

#23 ·
Well I am pleasantly pleased and confused. I guess I will just stick with stock until I talk to an engineer.:cool:

#24 ·
Stock exhaust is fine!! My bro has a filter and header, plus intense on stock exhaust and is puttin down 260whp! I wish i wouldnt have done anything...

#25 ·
Well I am happy to hear that. Hopefully that will be the numbers we see soon. I don't mind spending cash for the results. So I will just wait.

#26 ·
Redlinekid_04 said:
Stock exhaust is fine!! My bro has a filter and header, plus intense on stock exhaust and is puttin down 260whp! I wish i wouldnt have done anything...

By that logic, his car could be capiable of putting down 300, but is restricted to 260. An exhaust is a good thing. At least dump the stock muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.