Tire Review: Sunny SN3800 225/45/ZR17 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Performance Modifications

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tire Review: Sunny SN3800 225/45/ZR17

So i saw these tires on EBAY for $197 + Shipping for a set of 4... i did some research and found some good reviews so i decided to try them out for myself...

the grand total break down was:

4 Sunny SN3800 225/45/ZR17 Tires: $197.00
Shipping & Handling: $60.00
Mounting and Balancing: $67.00

Grand Total: $317.00 shipped and mounted and balanced for a set of 4 225/45/ZR17 tires.

Here's a pic of the tread pattern of the Sunny SN3800 next to a pic of the tread pattern of our own Dunlop SP9000 Sport.

SN3800 on the left SP9000 on the right.

First drive review of Sunny SN3800 225/45/ZR17 tires made by Wanli Tire of China.

At first the tread pattern look salmost identical to that of our own stock dunlops, though... the rubber is much softer (just as soft as my old KDW's) and they seem to grip MUCH better than the stock lops ever did.

Initial changes i noticed were that the tire was ALOT more responsive than the stock lops... and in a couple corners that felt sketchy at 40mph before with the stock lops and also the KDW's... the SN3800's felt like they were holding on pretty good and had room to take the corner faster...

Cruising at 60mph they were MUCH quiter than the stock lops and the KDW's i had previously... also noticed the ride was much smoother and the car not only felt like it held the road very well but steering was sharp with no play or excess movement in the steering wheel.

The ride quality was deffinately better than the stock lops and the KDW's...

Now... i took it off to a place where we sometimes drag race late at night that has a nice long stretch that is freshly paved, never driven on and flat and straight for a good 3/4 mile...

the launch proved extremely impressive even with the slick coating that new tires usualy come coated with to make them look nicer...

I revved the engine to 2500rpm and dropped the hammer, no clutch feather, 3/4 throttle untill traction was noticed and full throttle to a 6000rpm shift into 2nd gear...
NO WHEEL HOP! only a slight spin for a fraction of a second and instant acceleration... going into 2nd with a hard shift they only released a short and light bark then proceeded to continue pulling the car forward...

this same test on the stock dunlop SP9000 sport's showed nothing but dissapointment... a 2500rpm launch with the EXACT same technique left the car wheel hopping in 1st gear untill traction was noticed then the same hard shift into 2nd produced a loud squeal and spinning for a good 10 feet or so...

This same test on the 225/45/ZR17 BFG KDW's produced a slight amount of wheel hop, not enough to damage anything but enough to affect a clean launch... going into 2nd gear the KDW's also produced a short and light bark like the SN3800's.

Overall i am very impressed with these tires... especially considering the fact that the tests on the stock lops and the KDW's were done with nothing more than a 2.8" pulley upgrade and the new test on the SN3800's were done with the mods in my sig...

the KDW's did prove to become MUCH more responsive and produce better grip after they had been driven on for a few hundred miles... And i will admit that once broken in the KDW's produced next to NO wheelspin on a 2500rpm launch with a little effort and clutch work...

The stock lops however... lol, still garbage after 7k miles, and even worse after replacing them at 20k miles with the BFG KDW's.

0-60mph with the KDW's was 6.2 seconds after break in, after 3 passes and a little practice...
0-60mph with the SN3800's was 6.9 seconds before break in and done on the first pass with no prior practice launches done... im positive i can get much lower with some practice.

I will re compare the SN3800's after a few hundred miles to see how they have held up... for now, they have more than impressed me for a cheap set of $197.00 tires made in china that were bought off of ebay...

2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR (In With The New)
Invida Bellmouth 3" catless DP, HKS 3" Hi-power Exhaust, Bullwinkle Stg2 flash, Tein Suspension, Apexi Turbo Timer, wingless, Bronze wheels.

Vote for my single "So Amazin" to get on 96.1FM
VOTE FOR ME NOW!

Last edited by boosthard05; 07-18-2008 at 06:00 PM.
boosthard05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just installed a set of Toyo Proxy 4's. Paid 285 for all four mounted and balanced. I bought two of them used from a member on here, and two new. You couldnt tell the dirrerence in tread between the four of them. If I didnt know they put them on the back, I wouldnt know wich was the used ones.

I got them all in 225/25/17's also. I must say they grip way better than the Dunlop's ever did. I actually had grip in first gear, something the lops never did. According to my interceptor, I ran a 5.8 0-60 and a 13.9 quarter. Best I could ever get it on the lops was 6.9 0-60. Just a small chirp on the 1-2 shift at 7000 RPM, impressive to say the least. I am sure the slightly bigger size has something to do with it.

Time to tack it to a real track with accurate time equipment, and see if I can get her down into the 13's.....
In its place: 2003 Mustang GT Convertible. BBK O/R XPipe, Flowmaster Exhaust, BBK TB, Professional Products Upper Intake, Custom Tune with Sniper Speacial Forces Tuner. 17" Deep Dish Cobra Rims 9" fronts 275/40/17 10.5" Rears 315/35/17 Nitto N05's. MGW STS,Procharger D1SC w/ 3 core intercooler 90MM LMAF,
02 F150 Harley Davidson just joined the family.
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ill have to check into these as my tires are not bald but just look old and not all 4 match.. Great review...
Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

i hated my stock dunlops. i changed them out for toyo proxes 4s within the first 5000 miles.
boostin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/product-reviews/

Please PM me, it's the fastest way to get a hold of me.
Dainslaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

i like the reveiw and what i hear from ya they seem to be very good for the money and i need to get a new set as the stockers are dying and traction is becoming an issue in the rain during normal driving. Any link for these on ebay cuz i've searched and couldn't find them.
slvrred- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

UPDATE:

Well... the tires have been on the car for abut 300 miles now... and i am even more impressed with them now...

not only has straight line accelleration improved over the first test but so has cornering ability...

i can now launch at 3000rpm with a slight clutch feater and go WOT in 1st gear with little to no wheelspin at all, also... shifting into 2nd gear there is no more tire bark, only more pull...

i must say, i wish i would have found these tires A LONG TIME AGO!!!
boosthard05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

damn sounds good... im not staged and i spin through first and most of second..
RedlineNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthard05
UPDATE:

Well... the tires have been on the car for abut 300 miles now... and i am even more impressed with them now...

not only has straight line accelleration improved over the first test but so has cornering ability...

i can now launch at 3000rpm with a slight clutch feater and go WOT in 1st gear with little to no wheelspin at all, also... shifting into 2nd gear there is no more tire bark, only more pull...

i must say, i wish i would have found these tires A LONG TIME AGO!!!
Wait...wheelspin is a bad thing? (hehehehehe) Ladies love the wheelspin...it's the wheel hop that sucks.

2005 Stage 2(+) Silver Redline.

I have to say...the faux 2.4 redline in storm grey looks pretty good but it's still lame.
theneelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneelster
Wait...wheelspin is a bad thing? (hehehehehe) Ladies love the wheelspin...it's the wheel hop that sucks.
wheel spin may get the ladies looking at first but then when they realize that wheel spinning just cost you a race.......not so hot looking now......
slvrred- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement