"CTI over-the-axle piece" still available? - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Performance Modifications

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have one I don't need right now and is already off my car. Make me an offer if you're interested in it..it's a 2.5 inch over the axle piece
SLVR 04 RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline View Post
No. The outlet of the stock DP and the inlet of the resonator are like 2 3/16" wide.

Ion Redline Exhuast Options Thread 2.0

I think Powell measured the openings with digital caliper and found them to be even slightly smaller...

And keep in mind that when building an exhaust it is better to free up restrictions closest to the engine and then work you way back. The reduced size over the axle is probably the last thing I would worry about when building a cat-back. If I was trying to improve the stock exhaust system on a budget this is how I would do it.

1. Port the stock exhaust manifold. I have done this a few times and it is pretty simple. Don't worry only about the outlet. A lot of material can be removed inside where the runners meet.

2. Buy two 2.5" flanges and replace the stock DP and resonator flange. That is a big restriction close to the engine. Or install a 2.5" V-band connection. I would go with the V-bands.

V Band Clamps

V Bolt Clamp

3. Replace the stock muffler with a 2.25" muffler of your choice. I know most people say to get a 2.5" and there is nothing wrong with that. For a highly modified LSJ a 2.5" is a minimum size you would want. But more most Stage 2 LSJs and even a little higher a 2.25" will work just fine and help keep the noise down.
Bingo!! Very good info here.

I myself am building a very budget friendly exhaust for now till later down the road when I upgrade to the TVS.

For now my budget M62 exhaust will be GM extruned honed mani, modified stock dp with exit flanges changed to 2.5, LNF cat back exhaust.

In total I spent $130 bucks for basically a stock appearing, hopefully stock sounding 2.5 exhaust. I have heard some say the LNF muffler is to loud and raspy for the LSJ, but I'd like to hear it for myself. If so I'll just open up the stock LSJ muffler to 2.5 and put it back on
BULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLIT View Post
Bingo!! Very good info here.

I myself am building a very budget friendly exhaust for now till later down the road when I upgrade to the TVS.

For now my budget M62 exhaust will be GM extruned honed mani, modified stock dp with exit flanges changed to 2.5, LNF cat back exhaust.

In total I spent $130 bucks for basically a stock appearing, hopefully stock sounding 2.5 exhaust. I have heard some say the LNF muffler is to loud and raspy for the LSJ, but I'd like to hear it for myself. If so I'll just open up the stock LSJ muffler to 2.5 and put it back on
I ran an LNF cat-back on my RL. It's "Okay" at the best but I would not recommend it. The LNF resonator is shorter then the the LSJ and the LNF muffler is not as quite.

I even replaced the short LNF resonator with a 24" Smooth Tube muffler from Stainless works and it did not make things much better.

In your case, if you really want to try out the LNF muffler for yourself you could buy an LNF flange from ZZP and have that matted to the your stock DP. The inlet to the LNF resonator is ~2.7" so it will be nice and free flowing.

Then be prepared to replace the LNF muffler.

The cool thing about the LNF cat-back is that is it 2.5" ID piping from the resonator to the muffler. The LSJ is 2.5" OD. But the nice thing about the LSJ piping is that you can install the 2.5" v-bands much easier because they are 2.5" ID. Just clean up the edges with sand paper and slide it over the end.

Then take it to the exhaust shop and have them weld it.

Here is what my LNF experiment looked like.

CTI Header
Metal Spun Cat
24" Stainless Works Smooth Flow Tube Muffler. 3" inlet 2.5" oulet
LNF Cat-back

It did not sound that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
GMRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

If your interested...

I believe I still have the LNF front piece and LNF resonator sitting in my garage. I would give to you for a very fair price.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

If your asking me thanks for the offer but I already have all the pieces I need. Maybe the op here will bite.

As for the muffler, I did read your exhaust review and almost didn't try the LNF but at the price I got it I said to myself why not. If I don't like it Oh well, just change the muffler out. I'm hoping since I have the iron exhaust mani and stock dp/cat it won't be so bad.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR 04 RL View Post
I have one I don't need right now and is already off my car. Make me an offer if you're interested in it..it's a 2.5 inch over the axle piece
I am interested in that, would you mind send me pics of it, and price plus shipping to my email, baritone070@hotmail.com
kelly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLIT View Post
If your asking me thanks for the offer but I already have all the pieces I need. Maybe the op here will bite.

As for the muffler, I did read your exhaust review and almost didn't try the LNF but at the price I got it I said to myself why not. If I don't like it Oh well, just change the muffler out. I'm hoping since I have the iron exhaust mani and stock dp/cat it won't be so bad.
Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Will do. I'll be doing a lot of before and after videos and pics!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement