Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Pulley technologie 2,85" pulley vs PSI-FI 2,8" pulley kit, air/fuel ratio comparison.

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Sp00ner 
#1 ·
Pulley technologie 2,85" pulley vs PSI-FI 2,8" pulley kit, air/fuel ratio comparison.

Hi !

Have you look on these two different graphs ?

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5461 (see post #20)

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ndexURL=2&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It seems that the air/fuel ratios are near the same ! What are your comments about it ???

Why on the Revitup web site they claim a 45whp gain from the PSI-FI kit, where dyno shows about 25whp and 30 ft torque ? These are nice gains nervertheless...

Personnaly, I bought a 3" pulley from Pulley Technologies, and will install it friday ...

Thanks, have a nice day !

See less See more
#2 ·
that graph on ebay can not be right, dont believe it. I know my peak hp did not go up with just the pulley swap I know clownhair can shine some more light on the subject. Hes done a lot of experimenting with it. Plain and simple the computer will not let your car boost the hp with just that pulley. Otherwise psifi would not have gone through all that trouble to get the gains that they have made.

#3 · (Edited)
jmc007 said:
Hi !

Have you look on these two different graphs ?

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5461 (see post #20)

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ndexURL=2&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It seems that the air/fuel ratios are near the same ! What are your comments about it ???

Why on the Revitup web site they claim a 45whp gain from the PSI-FI kit, where dyno shows about 25whp and 30 ft torque ? These are nice gains nervertheless...

Personnaly, I bought a 3" pulley from Pulley Technologies, and will install it friday ...

Thanks, have a nice day !
Well first of all you cant compare apples to apples looking at 2 graphs from 2 different cars on on 2 different dynos, under different conditions.
Look at the % of increase only (not actual numbers) and that will be as close as you can get as a comparison.

I am very skeptical of the eBay graph. I know a guy over at the CobaltSS forums (whose car these are apparently from) was all spoutin off that you dont need any mods to run a 2.85" pulley, but we all know otherwise- and from first hand experience on numerous fronts. So whatever

I also meant to ask ExHondaman about his PSI-FI dyno graphs as it appears it was shut down at 6000 rpm to me. Not sure why but as we have found, the LSJ is "makin bacon" all the way up to the rev limiter, sooooo

WOT

#4 ·
Dont know why they shut me down at 6k..... It pulls like son of a gun all the way to redline...I wasn't present at the dyno run... I had to drop the car off and go to work... picked it up on lunch... I was disappointed that they didnt go all the way to RL.... hey *** I had a Q for you on the other forum....

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5461

#5 ·
Like everyone is saying there is no way you can push that much air without the factory ecu going crazy. There are multiple checksum(lookup) tables that the ecu goes through in its diagnostics(part throttle) as well as wot drive schedules. If it was this easy we would have released just a pulley and tensioner months ago. Ex i saw the other thread try cleaning off the plugs and gapping em back up to .032 and see if they get a little more chocolate in color.

#6 ·
mark@psi-fi said:
Like everyone is saying there is no way you can push that much air without the factory ecu going crazy. There are multiple checksum(lookup) tables that the ecu goes through in its diagnostics(part throttle) as well as wot drive schedules. If it was this easy we would have released just a pulley and tensioner months ago. Ex i saw the other thread try cleaning off the plugs and gapping em back up to .032 and see if they get a little more chocolate in color.
Thanks mark.... Ill regap them tomorrow and let you know how they look in a few hundred miles.. BTW I PMd you and Mike at cobaltss.com w/ a few questions..

#11 ·
WopOnTour said:
OK so just what has changed since you had all the DTC issues with the SFPH pully you had???
Are you saying 0.05" larger (2.8" vs 2.85") has made just as much HP and isnt bringing on the MIL??
WOT
When I had the sfph I was also testing out alot of other things so I am not sure if I was messing with something. I will certainly keep everyone here informed if something does freak out on it but right now its running fine. AFR is in the high 10's low 11's on a wot run.

#16 ·
It means the computer is adjusting for now, but likes to throw codes in like weeks, or over a month from when you started with it. That's why it took PSI-Fi so long to tune this, because codes would come up so much farther down the road than you would expect.

#17 · (Edited)
Blue04RedLine said:
It means the computer is adjusting for now, but likes to throw codes in like weeks, or over a month from when you started with it. That's why it took PSI-Fi so long to tune this, because codes would come up so much farther down the road than you would expect.
Good explaination BRL. It's not really that it takes time to adjust really, more waiting just for the precise combination of operating conditions to occur. The engine's behavior is "mapped" out in a grid of memory locations (called cells) based on RPM and calculated load.The various DTCs we are talking about have a different diagnostic sequence depending on a myriad of statistical variables such as:
- what happened last time (Pass/Fail)
- Pass/Fail sequence of "associated" DTCs this trip cycle and last
- adjustments to the Pass/Fail criteria as referenced by observed "trimmed" movement in the statistical base lines

Certain "events" can actuall alter the behavior of these "features" such as:
- clearing of the DTCs by a suitable scan tool
- automatic clearing of history DTCs after 40 warm up cycles
- rezeroing of fuel trims by a suitable scan tool
- reflashing the PCM memory with a new operating system or firmware
- extended period of battery disconnect or B+ disruption to the PCM
- sudden dramatic change in the established statistical baselines stored

So it's stuff like this that makes altering the LSJ management system a real "Pandora's Box" So it has a way of making people "think" all is well and then it bites you in the ass!! So those of us that have been messing with it for more than a couple of years now, are a wee bit sceptical of someone claiming a 2.85" pully requires ZERO tuning to the LSJ PCM. He/she may not have hit the right combinations of conditions...YET!

JMO
WOT

#18 ·
ray@revitup said:
i have been tuning cars for a long time, from stand alones to piggyback. and believe me to those running just a pulley you may get away with it for now , but wait to see what happens in the long run. :D the pp is controlling more than just fuel :p
maybe explain to us what it all does? I know I have enough loot to get the piggy back but just need the right reasoning for me to do so.

#19 ·
Ive Yet To Have Any Dtc'c The 2.9 Pulley From Billetflow Puts Me At
16psi & I Drive It Like Its A Rental :d But I Will Be Getting The Gm Stage 1&2

#21 ·
Yeah I know but if he weren't here I probally would of had leaches drain all the blood out of my body by now.

#24 ·
No I think he created every computer in every GM car by himself, but GM won't give him the rights to his creations.

#26 ·
That's what I'm sayin', GM has some dude watching all his posts so he doesnt leak all the secret's but if your read all his posts backwards he tells you how to do it. He's almost 50% done telling us how were just keeping it on the DL. So SHHHHHHHHHH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.