Exhaust Header Install help - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Performance Modifications

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post Exhaust Header Install help

Hey everyone,

First time replacing my headers with aftermarket and I just had a couple questions if anyone wouldnt mind helping me.

Been getting in to higher performance parts for my car and I bought a Hanes guide just for it. When reading the section on how to remove and install it talks about scraping off any gunk and taking some acetone or other chemical to clean the area where the header pipes mount to the engine. I was talking to my roommate and he said something anout some kind of goop sealant to put between the header and the mount bracket or even between both the bracket and the engine head. Sorry if i am using incorrect names for parts.

So my question is.... is this goop necessary and where can i get it or what is it called? just asking because my Hanes guide doesnt say anything about it.

Also, this is going on the Sedan model but i know people have been very noce and helped me in these Redline forums.

Thank you
IONmodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
I <3 UR MOM

The OEM gasket that is on there comes off pretty easily. Just replace with OEM and tighten to spec, you won't have an issue. If you see any residue on the block after removal (which you probably won't), scrape with a putty knife.

You'll see that the hardest part is removing the other bolts to the downpipe.

***04 Silver Turbo RL***
ALL4GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

So the weirdest thing happened and I dont know how this could happen. I took off the old headers and placed the new one on. As I started tightening the screws to specifications (starting from inside to outer as directed) I got to the outside lower nuts and as i tightened them my radiator fluid started to leak.

This confuses me on what could be happening because the leak wasnt happening with the old headers or while there were none on it at all. Only when I started bolting in those certain nuts to the block.

I would appreciate some feedback ASAP cause i am about to head to the shop with it tomorrow. Thank you
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Professor

Is it leaking from the radiator or the thermostat housing? If from the radiator, then that's a freak coincidence. If from the thermostat housing, check to see if you somehow damaged one of the hoses or the housing itself. The header sits right next to the thermostat housing and it's really easy to nick one of those heater core hoses or something close like that.
Tennpenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont think its from the Radiator cause thats front of the engine correct? i just looked in my Haynes book and thats where it look like it was at. But yeah I will check the housing while i take it off again cause that would make more sense
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Found the problem, angle of new piping hits housing and as the bolts screw it opens the seal.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is the problem. need a modification done
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaust Header Install help-imag0882.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Professor

That looks to be the coolant crossover pipe, it goes from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

What header is that?
Tennpenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

you bought a badmab header? I bought one and had the same problem on mine. I fixed the housing and grinded the header down a little so it would fit snug. I started the car and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. The header blew out right in the center. Badmab=Garbage so im hoping you didnt buy one :-)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

im not to sure what the brand ofvthis header is. i just searched for exhaust headers ob ebay and found one that was suppose to fit. no brand name associated.

i hope its not that one, i did start it up while all the bolts where at a tighten where it wasnt pushing open the seal and it started fine. just had the horrible sound of air lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
exhaust, headers