RR's Ported Head results - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
RR's Ported Head results

Alright, as a continuation of my Introduction Thread

OP delivers.

Only mods between dynos are a LSJION ported head and Option B. I also did some tuning on my own.

*NOTE* When reading the AFR, keep in mind that the WB being used is actually 0.4 AFR lean, so a 12.1 AFR is actually a 11.7 AFR. I just didn't want anybody thinking I was running the car that lean...

Started off by using the *EXACT* same canned ZZP tune that I had on the car last time.

Results were +4whp and +4wtq with gains as high as +6hp/+8tq all along the curve.

Next up is the same ZZP tune with a correct MAF calibration and the stoich adjusted for E5 ( 14.41 )

Results were +6whp and +4wtq with gains as high as +9hp/+7tq along the curve.

After that run, the car started to get heat soaked and I didn't gain anything more peak from my own tuning.

The car drives better than it ever has with the head. All aspects of driving it improved. It definitely feels stronger during WOT acceleration from 4k to 7k, and the dyno backs that up.

However, I believe that having the stock CB on the car has become a major restriction. Every other part of the exhaust flows well. It's a ported head into a BADMAB header, into a ZZP 3" to 2.5" DP, which connects to the stock CB. With the ported head on, the car only dropped 0.5 psi of boost. That tells me that there's a problem with flow.

I believe that the 2 1/16 opening to the resonator and the 2 1/4 bend over the rear suspension are the main culprits.

I plan to install a ZZP 2.5" CB in the near future, then tune for it and see the results on the dyno before I start running E85 and shooting for 300whp.

Here is a composite of best runs for my car.

Low run: 3.0 pulley, DP, ZZP tune

Middle run: 2.8 pulley, header, same exact ZZP tune.

High run: 2.8 pulley, modified ZZP tune, ported head.

Anyway, I hope this info helps someone, and I will post further dyno results in this thread as they come up.

Last edited by Rebel Redline; 03-26-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No replies...

Anyway, running into an interesting problem... I haven't seen any further boost drop. I would expect to see some from the head, but I haven't as of yet.

I put on a ZZP 2.5 CB last Friday, which helped the car's performance. But I still haven't seen any further boost drop. I logged a 50-100 pull in 3rd gear alone at 9.1 seconds last night, which is the fastest I have seen yet of the car, so performance has improved, yet in that same run, the car hit 17.1#'s of boost.

So what gives?

The car has no exhaust restrictions, no knock, is running like a scalded dog, but has no boost drop...

Anybody have any ideas?

My next planned steps are to install the ZZP CAI and port the blower.

Last edited by Rebel Redline; 04-05-2016 at 12:03 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Garage
It depends on the weather. I have seen 17.8psi on my 2.8 with 3 inch exhaust and stock head on a 40deg night, 500ft above sea level. However, I am usually around 16.5 on a 70 deg day.

2004 Ion Redline: K&N CAI, ZZP 3" Full Exhaust with Long Tube Header, 60lbs Siemens Deka Injectors, PLX Wideband O2, 2.7" Pulley, 2004 Powell Front and ZZP Rear Mount, R1 Drilled Slotted Rotors, Dual Pass Endplate, ZZP Heat Exchanger, Option B.

Self HPTuned on 93 Octane. 11.7 AFR, 18-21 deg timing.
Self HPTuned on E47 blend. 0.80λ, 25-27 deg timing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Garage
I am almost certain the outside atmospheric airmass changes will probably have more of an effect then some people wanna believe. My fathers redline is stock and in the winter we saw 13.5psi on stock pulley.

I am at about 1100 feet above sea level now and I got 16.1psi at 6850rpm in third at 99mph. Outside Temp about 70.

2004 Ion Redline: K&N CAI, ZZP 3" Full Exhaust with Long Tube Header, 60lbs Siemens Deka Injectors, PLX Wideband O2, 2.7" Pulley, 2004 Powell Front and ZZP Rear Mount, R1 Drilled Slotted Rotors, Dual Pass Endplate, ZZP Heat Exchanger, Option B.

Last edited by xRedrumisBack; 04-05-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedrumisBack View Post
I am almost certain the outside atmospheric airmass changes will probably have more of an effect then some people wanna believe. My fathers redline is stock and in the winter we saw 13.5psi on stock pulley.

I am at about 1100 feet above sea level now and I got 16.1psi at 6850rpm in third at 99mph. Outside Temp about 70.

That makes sense since the goal of the supercharger is volumetric

efficiency

I love this stuff - just interested in the process - a lot going on with the temps, pressure, density etc

good discussion

FYI after reading a little on wikipedia under supercharger they have the pic

of, interestingly, the great Saturn ion redline from wiki:

An Eaton MP62 Roots-type supercharger
is visible at the front of this Ecotec LSJ
engine in a 2006 Saturn Ion Red Line.

Last edited by 1Redline; 04-05-2016 at 06:16 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I am between an elevation of 200 to 400 feet in the hot, humid climate of Central Alabama. The 17.1psi was hit in around 60 or so air at night.

The current plan is to get a CAI now that I realize my modded stock airbox is doing nothing but taking in hot air and making my IAT2s higher. I also plan on a LS4 and ported blower inlet, tune the car for it, then dyno again and see where the car sits with 93 octane before I go E85.

I will report back, probably later in the month or in early May.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
Well, I am between an elevation of 200 to 400 feet in the hot, humid climate of Central Alabama. The 17.1psi was hit in around 60 or so air at night.

The current plan is to get a CAI now that I realize my modded stock airbox is doing nothing but taking in hot air and making my IAT2s higher. I also plan on a LS4 and ported blower inlet, tune the car for it, then dyno again and see where the car sits with 93 octane before I go E85.

I will report back, probably later in the month or in early May.
I wouldn't mess with porting the intake on the blower. Others have tried with little to no results. A CAI mod might help slightly with iats but what other cooling miss do you currently have??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Garage
I am assuming the porting is to make room for the throttle plate? Otherwise the gains are minimal/non-existent for porting the m62. If you are planning on E85 you are going to make up for alot of the power loss due to hot air since you can command 25deg of timing in the high rpms, and run a 12.6 AFR. Maximizing the volumetric efficiency of the combustion process.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedrumisBack View Post
I am assuming the porting is to make room for the throttle plate? Otherwise the gains are minimal/non-existent for porting the m62.
Mainly, but I'm gonna clean up the casting flash and do a light port while I've got it apart. Not gonna cost me anything but a few Dremel sanding rolls, and I'm not gonna go crazy on it.

Cooling mods:
Dual Pass
Option B
ZZP FMHE

Gonna get the mix to a 80/20 water/Dex mix soon and put some water wetter back in it.

IAT2s start at about 105-110 and will rise to 140-145 during a pull. They recover quickly, but anything I can do to get them down will help, especially with 100 summer days with 95% humidity here.

I know a CAI will help to get the IAT1s down, which in turn will help the IAT2s down.

I run 18 of timing at 4608, then drop a degree to 17 and ride it all the way to 7200. Not getting any knock, but that's as far as I can push it on my setup. Need E85.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:08 AM

Garage
AC on will kill IAT2s, the condensor is in front of the stock heat exchanger, but I mean theres nothing you can do when it is 100deg haha.
My timing took awhile to squeeze the most power out, but I have the tables setup so more cyl airmass is less timing, I very rarely get knock, I have had issues with the 3000-4000rpm range before for 3rd and 4th gear pulls.

You should have timing slightly go up with rpms on 93.

Here is a little vid I threw together the other day when I had the car pulling very smooth

I will upload a pic of my current timing table, I zeroed out the AFR Correction Table because it was making the knock in 4th and 5th gear harder to get rid of. Adding too much timing at lower rpms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.