Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Rebel is now on E85

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  MBRedline 
#1 ·
After talking about it forever, I finally made the jump.

Simply filled the car up and flashed the tune. It's been surprisingly uneventful. Drives exactly like it did on 93.

The car is a bit on the rich side right now, since the stoich is set for pure E85 ( left about 3 gallons of 93 in the tank as well ). I'm gonna drive it around a bit more often to burn off the 93, then top it back off. I also tested the fuel and found it to actually be E90-ish.

I only had a chance to make 1 WOT pull, but the results were good. Half a second faster from 50-100 than any previous log, and a steady 22 degrees of timing with no KR to be seen. The car was also rich at WOT, 10.8 converted to gas AFR, compared to the 11.5 it should be. So there's room for more power for sure.

I have a dyno day coming up on October the 8th, gonna try and crack 290+ with a 2.8 on the M62. I'll post results here afterwards.

#5 ·
After some further driving, I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't make the swap sooner.

I added 3° of timing across the board from my 93 octane tune, and the car is so much more responsive at part-throttle, with no KR at all. Some spots on the log actually see 40° of timing.

I'll be sad after my dyno day when I swap back to 93 ( E85 is in short supply in my area, only 2 stations within 50 miles ), right up until I install the turbo kit... which I'll then develop an E85 tune for...

#6 ·
Nice, looking forward to hearing your results.

Unfortunately for me there is no E85 within 70 miles of me, making it a bit unreasonably for the change.

#8 ·
Been having supply issues lately. The only 2 stations that have E85 have been real spotty on when they actually have it. It's a 35 mile drive one way to get it, so if I come up empty-handed, I wasted almost half a tank... After my dyno day, I'm gonna swap back and be sad.

Next time I know they have E85 in stock, I'm gonna bring two 5 gallon cans and stock up.

Guess this leaves turbo and 93 as my only option, instead of TVS and E85...

#10 ·
Well, didn't quite get what I wanted, but I can't say that I'm not satisfied with the results.

I don't have a dyno sheet, since the dyno operator copied over my results with my friend's results. I am trying to upload a video though.

Final numbers worked out to be 277whp/243tq

This is up from a previous best on the same dyno of 260whp/231tq

So the increase with the only change being E85 is... +17whp +12ft/lbs

The car ran great on the dyno, AFR was fine, Car held 25 degrees of timing all the way to redline. I think that with this particular setup, that's all the 2.8 pulley can push through the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.