Fixing Wheel Hop? - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Fixing Wheel Hop?

My '04 RL (no slip) is putting 230-240 to the wheels after a few parts, full exhaust and tune to 15PSI. If I'm not light on launches it's wheel hop city! So how do I fix it? I've heard new control arm bushings, would that do the trick for me or is it just a quirk of the car that doesn't have a true fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:45 AM

Garage
What kind of launches? General driving or drag racing?

Rotated Transmission Mounts is the fix.

Although, I simply replaced my rear mount with a poly insert, and I can't remember the last time I had wheel hop. I don't launch it hard from a stop very often, but I don't have issues.

I'm at a confirmed 260whp on 93, and I'm running E85 now. So... ~290ish.

Funny story, the reason I replaced the mount was, I realized that the car was getting so much engine movement on hard shifts that the supercharger pulley was hitting the front radiator support...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Moderator/Internet Fight Champion

If you're still using the factory mounts, they're fluid filled and in our tests allowed the motor to jump around 3-4 inches on a hard launch. Replacing the stock motor mounts with poly mounts should pretty well eliminate this problem for you. In the beginning we used torque braces and I believe those may still be out there...they are no longer the best option and I would encourage you to skip past them. Replace the mounts. I believe there's a rotated trans mount for the 04 from Powell but I don't know how to locate that info off the top of my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

E85, 80# Injectors, 2.7" Billetflow pulley, extrude honed header, Dual Torque Braces, poly mounts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM

As it's been said, rotated mounts. Made a huge difference. Basically zero wheel hop now. I only have stage one (front mount and rear spacer), I'm sure more is better though.

There is a great guide on here somewhere on how to properly install, to prevent vibration. Search should be easy to find.

I got my mine off ebay for cheap from a guy who installed them wrong and couldn't stand the vibrations. He had them on for 2 weeks then took them off and sold to me lol.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
What kind of launches? General driving or drag racing?

Rotated Transmission Mounts is the fix.

Although, I simply replaced my rear mount with a poly insert, and I can't remember the last time I had wheel hop. I don't launch it hard from a stop very often, but I don't have issues.

I'm at a confirmed 260whp on 93, and I'm running E85 now. So... ~290ish.

Funny story, the reason I replaced the mount was, I realized that the car was getting so much engine movement on hard shifts that the supercharger pulley was hitting the front radiator support...

interesting
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
If you're still using the factory mounts, they're fluid filled and in our tests allowed the motor to jump around 3-4 inches on a hard launch. Replacing the stock motor mounts with poly mounts should pretty well eliminate this problem for you. In the beginning we used torque braces and I believe those may still be out there...they are no longer the best option and I would encourage you to skip past them. Replace the mounts. I believe there's a rotated trans mount for the 04 from Powell but I don't know how to locate that info off the top of my head.

Is that what those shock absorber looking things were ?
Mark Rogers likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redline View Post
Is that what those shock absorber looking things were ?
Yea, these things:

SOLD: 2004 Saturn ION Redline - She will be missed!
Current Ride: 2012 Nissan 370Z NISMO

Former Redline Mods: GM Stage 2, K&N Cold Air Intake, 17" Motoring Drifters, Autometer Boost Gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 of 1012 Onyx Black 2004 Ion Redlines
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redline View Post
[/COLOR]

interesting
I noticed odd wear on my supercharger pulley, started looking around at things, and found a corresponding mark on the backside of the radiator support.

Probably doesn't help that I have a phenolic spacer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Moderator/Internet Fight Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONredlineRACER View Post
Yea, these things:

Yep...that's the one Rice Eater and I sold. We put one under the transmission too later in development because obviously that pic shows it only braced on one side. The other option is to buy some poly urethane in a caulk gun, slice a hole in your stock mounts, drain the oil, and pump the poly in, let it harden and then run that. Kind of the ghetto route these days though. Back then, it was all we had

E85, 80# Injectors, 2.7" Billetflow pulley, extrude honed header, Dual Torque Braces, poly mounts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Just Google "Saturn Ion Redline rotated mounts" HE is like the 2 result, I am not sure if that is his active store or not but the 5th on is for OTT which was his too, I think.

If I get used to envying others those parts of myself that I am proud of will recede from me.
-Stellvia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.