Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Fixing Wheel Hop?

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BigE 
#1 ·
My '04 RL (no slip) is putting 230-240 to the wheels after a few parts, full exhaust and tune to 15PSI. If I'm not light on launches it's wheel hop city! So how do I fix it? I've heard new control arm bushings, would that do the trick for me or is it just a quirk of the car that doesn't have a true fix?

#2 ·
What kind of launches? General driving or drag racing?

Rotated Transmission Mounts is the fix.

Although, I simply replaced my rear mount with a poly insert, and I can't remember the last time I had wheel hop. I don't launch it hard from a stop very often, but I don't have issues.

I'm at a confirmed 260whp on 93, and I'm running E85 now. So... ~290ish.

Funny story, the reason I replaced the mount was, I realized that the car was getting so much engine movement on hard shifts that the supercharger pulley was hitting the front radiator support...

#3 ·
If you're still using the factory mounts, they're fluid filled and in our tests allowed the motor to jump around 3-4 inches on a hard launch. Replacing the stock motor mounts with poly mounts should pretty well eliminate this problem for you. In the beginning we used torque braces and I believe those may still be out there...they are no longer the best option and I would encourage you to skip past them. Replace the mounts. I believe there's a rotated trans mount for the 04 from Powell but I don't know how to locate that info off the top of my head.

#4 ·
As it's been said, rotated mounts. Made a huge difference. Basically zero wheel hop now. I only have stage one (front mount and rear spacer), I'm sure more is better though.

There is a great guide on here somewhere on how to properly install, to prevent vibration. Search should be easy to find.

I got my mine off ebay for cheap from a guy who installed them wrong and couldn't stand the vibrations. He had them on for 2 weeks then took them off and sold to me lol.

#13 ·
You don't know what wheel hop is until you go turbo. I used to get *very mild* wheel hop with 260whp on the M62.

With 370+whp, the *ONLY* fix is the Powell mounts. Wheel hop was extremely violent anywhere in 2nd, and occasionally the top of 3rd...

Now I just need to get a set of Pilot Super Sports or RE71R's to try and help tame the massive wheel spin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.