Required and recommended mods on a 2.8 pulley - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Required and recommended mods on a 2.8 pulley

Looking closer at my car and doing a lot a research I have found that I have a 2.8 pulley and 42# injectors an aem air intake as well as a canned tune from intense racing.
Looks like most everything else is stock engine wise.
What do I need to look for to make sure this car is not going to blow up/ over heat break earlier etc etc.

Right now it's my dd and stick around 2-3 rpm ( 11 mpg will make you a miser on the pedeal )
Can you list in order of importance?
7thmoosefromtheleft is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebel Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
Looking closer at my car and doing a lot a research I have found that I have a 2.8 pulley and 42# injectors an aem air intake as well as a canned tune from intense racing.
Looks like most everything else is stock engine wise.
What do I need to look for to make sure this car is not going to blow up/ over heat break earlier etc etc.

Right now it's my dd and stick around 2-3 rpm ( 11 mpg will make you a miser on the pedeal )
Can you list in order of importance?
60# injectors
Good tune
Header
Downpipe
Dual Pass
Option B

Also, pull the car to 3500-4000 rpm before you shift at light throttle, mileage improves, the car actually doesn't work as hard.
Rebel Redline is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Shouldn't I get the headers first then tune?
Any recommendations on injectors and headers ? Been looking at zzp long tube and Simmons
7thmoosefromtheleft is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebel Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
Shouldn't I get the headers first then tune?
Any recommendations on injectors and headers ? Been looking at zzp long tube and Simmons
Injectors require a tune.

If you don't have the ability to tune, just get the tune for a header regardless, then swap it later.

ZZP long tube is fine, but anything is better than stock. I made 260whp with a BadMab shorty and ZZP DP.

Siemens injectors are fine. I run ID1000's myself, but those are overkill for 99.9% of LSJ's, including mine.
Rebel Redline is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Thanks again, I swear your the only person here, but it's been darn helpful

Last edited by 7thmoosefromtheleft; 02-25-2017 at 08:52 PM.
7thmoosefromtheleft is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
REDLINE1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
Looking closer at my car and doing a lot a research I have found that I have a 2.8 pulley and 42# injectors an aem air intake as well as a canned tune from intense racing.
Looks like most everything else is stock engine wise.
What do I need to look for to make sure this car is not going to blow up/ over heat break earlier etc etc.

Right now it's my dd and stick around 2-3 rpm ( 11 mpg will make you a miser on the pedeal )
Can you list in order of importance?
If you are running a 2.8 on #42s I wouldn't push it hard. You will lean out and blow the motor in no time.
REDLINE1313 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Define hard,? I'm pretty sure I don't as like I said I don't go over 3k rpm ( now a guess 4k ) and don't hit over 50% throttle
I might be able to get injectors this weekend
7thmoosefromtheleft is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
REDLINE1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
Define hard,? I'm pretty sure I don't as like I said I don't go over 3k rpm ( now a guess 4k ) and don't hit over 50% throttle
I might be able to get injectors this weekend
2.8 on #42s ya will prolly lean out over 4500
REDLINE1313 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
How time critical is this? Spending $700 for tune and injectors just became out of my price range unless I want to live in a storage unit
( got edged out a great living situation by a girl so an apartment is kinda high on the list )
Temp gauge has never gone above half sense I bought it
7thmoosefromtheleft is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebel Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
How time critical is this? Spending $700 for tune and injectors just became out of my price range unless I want to live in a storage unit
( got edged out a great living situation by a girl so an apartment is kinda high on the list )
Temp gauge has never gone above half sense I bought it
Just don't beat on the car WOT. Tune and injectors should be in the $400 range, not $700. Where are you getting that number from?
Rebel Redline is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended First Mod Faith Build Performance Modifications 8 06-08-2014 01:00 PM
Three Recommended grounds You should do know The Black Stig Tuning & Electronics 1 11-01-2013 08:24 AM
Recommended gauges 05VUE-Redline-06ION Tuning & Electronics 5 04-17-2011 09:21 PM
Recommended Dealers? Freakazoid North Eastern Forum 2 10-14-2005 09:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome