Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Required and recommended mods on a 2.8 pulley

6K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  7thmoosefromtheleft 
#1 Β·
Looking closer at my car and doing a lot a research I have found that I have a 2.8 pulley and 42# injectors an aem air intake as well as a canned tune from intense racing.
Looks like most everything else is stock engine wise.
What do I need to look for to make sure this car is not going to blow up/ over heat break earlier etc etc.

Right now it's my dd and stick around 2-3 rpm ( 11 mpg will make you a miser on the pedeal :D)
Can you list in order of importance?

#2 Β·
60# injectors
Good tune
Header
Downpipe
Dual Pass
Option B

Also, pull the car to 3500-4000 rpm before you shift at light throttle, mileage improves, the car actually doesn't work as hard.

#4 Β·
Injectors require a tune.

If you don't have the ability to tune, just get the tune for a header regardless, then swap it later.

ZZP long tube is fine, but anything is better than stock. I made 260whp with a BadMab shorty and ZZP DP.

Siemens injectors are fine. I run ID1000's myself, but those are overkill for 99.9% of LSJ's, including mine.

#9 Β·
How time critical is this? Spending $700 for tune and injectors just became out of my price range unless I want to live in a storage unit
( got edged out a great living situation by a girl so an apartment is kinda high on the list )
Temp gauge has never gone above half sense I bought it

#11 Β·
can you throw a 77.9 mm (3.06 in) or similar pulley on there and it will work better with the tune you have?

#16 Β·
For the clutch, GMPP.

For the tune, $600 is a ripoff. For that, you could buy HPTuners and learn yourself. The ZZP canned tune is fine for 90% of the people, and the other 10% have access to HPT.

For injectors, you don't need "rails", any injector you would need fits the LSJ rail. Only thing to worry about is connectors. Make sure the injector plug and harness plug match.

#21 Β·
If you are on 42# and a 2.8 I would be amazed if you aren't getting lean codes. Chances are if you put a 3.0 on it would work fine and be safer from blowing.
I agree. I was on 50#'s and a 2.8, and on cold nights could see above 100% IDC. Even in the summer it was low 90's.

#30 Β·
To me personally, the only "expensive but worth it" injectors are ID1000's. WAAAAY beyond what you'd need. I only see 65% IDC running my turbo setup, 22psi, a BRFPS, and E30.

Siemens 60's or 80's would be fine on your setup.

#31 Β·
back

so Ill be working on getting the injectors soon and probably bite the bullet and walk to work for a week or two while zzp has my computer :(

thanks for the help so far this forum has been invaluable. probbly would have had to take a massive loss on this car and sell it if it was not for your help

#32 Β·
so Ill be working on getting the injectors soon and probably bite the bullet and walk to work for a week or two while zzp has my computer :(

thanks for the help so far this forum has been invaluable. probbly would have had to take a massive loss on this car and sell it if it was not for your help

this forum has been great I started here by accident when I was looking up some codes that I inherited few years ago

it's been more helpful than having the old Saturn dealer in town :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.