Suspension vs stage vs tire contact patch - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Suspension vs stage vs tire contact patch

I am looking at doing some mods in the spring and have couple questions about which group of mods should take priority. *The car is a 2004 and a daily driver. I'd like to make it more fun, but still reliable. I am probably over thinking this...

Rims and Rubber

I?m looking at a wider set of rims and summer tires. Right now I have Dunlop Direzzas II (215/45R/17) on stock rims. I?m thinking that a wider contact patch might help with the cars lack of grip. The tires I have been looking at are the Michelin Super Sports ((235/40/18) or something around there, the rims I like start at 18s). I want something that offers great grip, and a will last a decent amount of time.* Any experience with these tires or any other suggestions?

Less Squat

The second group of mods I?m looking at is suspension. The car is already lowered on SSC springs, but I would like to upgrade to FE5. Hoping that stiffer suspension will allow less squat on acceleration, again enhancing FWD grip.

Stg 2 Vs. Stg 3

The last group of mods I?m looking into is ZZP stage 3 vs ZZP stage 2. I?ve heard some mixed reviews of stage 3, some people say that the front mount heat exchanger isn?t really effective. Does anyone have experience with this? If it is ineffective, would it not make more sense to go with stage 2?

I should mention that I already have a mid-length header and downpipe, the Dual Pass Endplate and Option B (still need to install). With either stage I would also purchase an engine mount. Would a phenolic spacer be beneficial? (Again heard some mixed reviews about if it really works or not) Does anyone have experience with it? (thought I might do this when I am installing the endplate)

Final question about the stage kits, in my area I mainly have 91 octane, and the odd 94 octane, so I think I?ll be running 91. With the supporting mods I listed could I run a 2.8 pulley? Or will that just knock?

I know the stage kit would be the most fun, but will I really benefit if I can?t put the power to the wheels without spinning them? This is why I am wondering if I should upgrade the tires and suspension first? Which group of mods should i set as priority?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the long post. Reason I'm asking which I should prioritize is because I will probably only get to do 1 of the 3 this year.

Last edited by Graham; 03-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 PM

Tires and wheels may rub, fe5 won't help with stiffness most likely with drop springs you will be over compressing them as it is. Stage2 is safe for dd on 91, the s3 does work and is ok for the cost compared to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.