Engine knock on cold start - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Engine knock on cold start

I have noticed that on a cold start(not cold outside i live in Fl, but starting after a few hours of sitting) i have a knock. If i rev up to about 2k rpms, the knock goes away while on the gas, but comes back slightly louder and faster once I let off the gas, then settles back to the origional knock once the rpms drop back down. it does this for about 2-4 min, then goes away once the engine warms up just a little bit(less than the first quarter mark on the temp). I have heard this on other cars before, but havnt seen anybody mention it on the RL, and i searched the forums... closest thing i found was the "chattering when cold" thread sombody just posted, but that doesnt sound like the same noise. Its running fine, and no CEL, it just bothers me. anybody else getting this. there is 27k miles on it, i shouldnt have a cold knock this early should I?
'04 - GM Stage 2+, 10:1 forged pistons, ARP headstuds, K&N CAI, ZZP header & dp, custom 3" BORLA c/b, spec 3+ clutch, bwoody smm's, devils own meth, B&G springs, drill/slott rotors, BFG KDW's, Centerline Storms, Pioneer AVIC D-1, Polk-MOMO carbon series components & 400.4 amp, JL 10" sub
\m/(**)\m/ -->AHRIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebristol
Women will come and go. Your RL deserves the upgrades!
The Coalition
Oni Elite / Clan Agent
Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

That sucks man, mine did that for like 2 weeks, but it was in the winter when it was kinda cold.
18" black/chrome Katana wheels (17lbs ea)No REAL mods yet, more to come I hope
redline13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a bearing getting ready to crap out. Remove your mods and take it to the dealer.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nah
A bearing doenst get better with temperature, it gets worse
Sounds like piston related to me
The Ecotec in general is pretty "slap happy" when cold but depending on how LOUD it is, they may pull the head and take a look.
HTH and good Luck
Wop
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

well like i said, after a minute it goes away, im leaving it with them over night so they can hear it in the morning some time this week i think. i planned on replacing the rods and pistons soon anyway.

thank alot for your input guys
Old 05-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Arrow LSJ engine knock

The engine knock that you are talking about is completely normal on the LSJ engines, due to the forged pistons. On a normal engine, the pistons are kind of egg shaped, which is due to how they expand when they warm up, they will then be round. Forged pistons are perfectly round because they don't expand the same way a general piston would, which causes the piston to have some "slap" when the pistons are not at operating temperature. So, dont worry man, you dont have bearings that are about to fail on you or anything else wrong with your engine for that matter. Just let your engine warm up to operating temperature before you start driving hard. nothing to worry about.
04 blue redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

BBLLSHHTTT. Sorry I had to sneeze. It means a few things. either you dogged the crap out of the engine, or you didn't do enough oil changes, or didn't use the right oil. You can run the crap out of a 2.0. It's made for punishment. If you don't take care of it, you will pay! The pistons in the Redline are made for abuse. Never ever go past 3000 to change the oil. If none of this applies to you, I would take it in and check for any technical bulletins from Saturn. Now if you didn't take care of it, try a engine flush. You may have clogged oil journels. I don't suggest it, but may work. A noise on start up usually means either poor luberication or worn rings or wristpins.

Last edited by Dallas; 05-17-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

its ok a girl hit his car
Member #001 - put a dry charger on dog face to give it 10hp to the rear legs
superbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 blue redline
The engine knock that you are talking about is completely normal on the LSJ engines, due to the forged pistons. On a normal engine, the pistons are kind of egg shaped, which is due to how they expand when they warm up, they will then be round. Forged pistons are perfectly round because they don't expand the same way a general piston would, which causes the piston to have some "slap" when the pistons are not at operating temperature. So, dont worry man, you dont have bearings that are about to fail on you or anything else wrong with your engine for that matter. Just let your engine warm up to operating temperature before you start driving hard. nothing to worry about.
you are the second person to tell me this, it sounds right. still gonna leave it with my tech over night so he can start it up in teh morning and hear it.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas
BBLLSHHTTT. Sorry I had to sneeze. It means a few things. either you dogged the crap out of the engine, or you didn't do enough oil changes, or didn't use the right oil. You can run the crap out of a 2.0. It's made for punishment. If you don't take care of it, you will pay! The pistons in the Redline are made for abuse. Never ever go past 3000 to change the oil. If none of this applies to you, I would take it in and check for any technical bulletins from Saturn. Now if you didn't take care of it, try a engine flush. You may have clogged oil journels. I don't suggest it, but may work. A noise on start up usually means either poor luberication or worn rings or wristpins.
no, taken pretty good care of it since i purchased it, dont know how the previouse owner took care of it, but its got a regular service history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement