Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Coolant warning on display

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Chazb 
#1 ·
Lately during the past few days, the "COOLANT" light is coming on. I checked it and both the engine coolant and the coolant for the intercooler is still full. It usually happens if I make a WOT run in like 3rd gear, but it's also come on one time when I 1st started the car for a minute. It always only remains lit up for like a minute or less. What else could cause this if the level isn't low?:confused:

#2 ·
Watts-Up said:
Lately during the past few days, the "COOLANT" light is coming on. I checked it and both the engine coolant and the coolant for the intercooler is still full. It usually happens if I make a WOT run in like 3rd gear, but it's also come on one time when I 1st started the car for a minute. It always only remains lit up for like a minute or less. What else could cause this if the level isn't low?:confused:
The "COOLANT" warning in the message display is for the engine coolant only. There is not a sensor for the intercooler. Add just just a little coolant to it. That sensor is fairly sensitive and just a touch low on coolant will trigger the message.

Mark

#3 ·
mailmars said:
The "COOLANT" warning in the message display is for the engine coolant only. There is not a sensor for the intercooler. Add just just a little coolant to it. That sensor is fairly sensitive and just a touch low on coolant will trigger the message.

Mark
Yeah, I just figured I would save the post about checking the intercooler coolant, I guess it backfired on me! LOL

What I don't understand is that the coolant reservoir is completely topped off, well, over 1/2 way and a little above the full point.

#4 ·
Watts-Up said:
Yeah, I just figured I would save the post about checking the intercooler coolant, I guess it backfired on me! LOL

What I don't understand is that the coolant reservoir is completely topped off, well, over 1/2 way and a little above the full point.
Then you might want them to take a look at the sensor and the associated wiring....

Mark

#5 ·
mailmars said:
Then you might want them to take a look at the sensor and the associated wiring....

Mark
Hmmmm, Ill add just a little bit more dexcool like you said, and see what it does. It doesn't look low at all, in fact it looks like it's just a tad bit over, but I know it changes when it heats and cools. If I remember correctly,in most cars the level actually goes down when it's hot? Seems like it would be the opposite from the expanding of the heat, but from my experience re-assembling cars, I seem to remember the coolant being sucked into the radiator when it got hot.:shrug03:

#6 ·
mailmars said:

Mark
Mostly true but it can come on as an indirect result of the Intercooler Pump seizing up and opening the EMISS fuse (Don't ask why the intercooler pump and coolant sensor get power from the Emissions systems fuse) in the underhood junction block. If this was the case.. the car would also set codes for the O2 Sensors and EVAP systems as well as some others. The car would also most likely stall randomly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.