Coolant warning keeps coming on - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Coolant warning keeps coming on

This just started happening in the past week or so. My coolant warning comes on here and there. When it comes on, I will go and look and the coolant level will be around where the 2 tubes meet (right under the resiveur) So, i'll put some in, and literally like 30 minutes later it will come back on. Then I will look like an hour later and will be fine even without adding any additional coolant.

I am thinking that I have an air bubble somewhere. How do you bleed the stock HE? Thats the only place I can think of where it could be. I have "jiggled" the tubing as much as I could several times. And it seems to be fine. But if this potential bubble is sitting to where I can't get to it like that, then it would only come in short "bursts" right?

Can someone help me?
18" black/chrome Katana wheels (17lbs ea)No REAL mods yet, more to come I hope
redline13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

ur pump is shot what do you expect lol you need to fix that
Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

fix the pump and install the supercooler!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Slut
ur pump is shot what do you expect lol you need to fix that
Well that may be true () It doesn't explain why sometimes it would be full and sometimes it would be low. Like, i'd bet if I went out to my car now (been sitting outside for about an hour) it would be fine. But as soon as I start it it is going to give me the message again.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

OMG...you guys are kidding me?! There is something wrong with the engine coolant system, not intercooler system. There are no sensors in the intercooler system to warn you of issues. The only electrical stuff in the intercooler system is simply the line running to the Bosch pump used in the system which does nothing but powers it on and off.

Check your engine coolant bottle and make sure before starting the car (and it sitting) you have enough coolant to the point where it says on the front "Cold Fill Level."

My "COOLANT" message comes up to, thats what it is, the engine coolant!

EDIT: Also, the only warniing messages you will see if the intercooler system is if your system rich CEL comes up (AIT2 is too high for what the engine is calibrated for) thus the intercooler system is insufficent = density of air is out of whack and too much gas is in for the mixture. Also, your spark plugs will be fouled and the engine will cut out (like you're hitting the rev limiter) at less than normal rpms, such as 5000rpm.

^~~These are also the symptoms the GM Tech Line has to tell whether or not the intercooler pump is working, regardless of the obvious of whether or not coolant is flowing.

Last edited by vandy0419; 01-30-2007 at 06:29 PM.
vandy0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

i never said i was smart haha i didnt read it correctly.
Track Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy0419
OMG...you guys are kidding me?! There is something wrong with the engine coolant system, not intercooler system. There are no sensors in the intercooler system to warn you of issues. The only electrical stuff in the intercooler system is simply the line running to the Bosch pump used in the system which does nothing but powers it on and off.

Check your engine coolant bottle and make sure before starting the car (and it sitting) you have enough coolant to the point where it says on the front "Cold Fill Level."

My "COOLANT" message comes up to, thats what it is, the engine coolant!

EDIT: Also, the only warniing messages you will see if the intercooler system is if your system rich CEL comes up (AIT2 is too high for what the engine is calibrated for) thus the intercooler system is insufficent = density of air is out of whack and too much gas is in for the mixture. Also, your spark plugs will be fouled and the engine will cut out (like you're hitting the rev limiter) at less than normal rpms, such as 5000rpm.

^~~These are also the symptoms the GM Tech Line has to tell whether or not the intercooler pump is working, regardless of the obvious of whether or not coolant is flowing.
I'm curious as to where the collant goes though after I put more in. hmmmm. . .

But just FTR, i'm pretty sure my pump is fucked anyways lol
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=redline13]I'm curious as to where the collant goes though after I put more in. hmmmm. . .

As you start driving, since there is coolant just sitting in the intercooler cores (based that your pump is broken) it doesn't do anything but start to boil and it will expand and overflow...then once it cools down, it looks no different from the last time. I had the issue for months before replacing the pump.

Quote:
But just FTR, i'm pretty sure my pump is fucked anyways lol
Yeah, your intercooler pump may very well be fucked, but its not what is causing the message center to show "coolant." If the dealership won't fix the intercooler pump, you can get one off eBay...look under "lightning pump." Same pump on our car as the Ford Lightning and they're like $100 shipped off eBay. Dealership will want over $300.
vandy0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=vandy0419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline13
I'm curious as to where the collant goes though after I put more in. hmmmm. . .

As you start driving, since there is coolant just sitting in the intercooler cores (based that your pump is broken) it doesn't do anything but start to boil and it will expand and overflow...then once it cools down, it looks no different from the last time. I had the issue for months before replacing the pump.

Yeah, your intercooler pump may very well be fucked, but its not what is causing the message center to show "coolant." If the dealership won't fix the intercooler pump, you can get one off eBay...look under "lightning pump." Same pump on our car as the Ford Lightning and they're like $100 shipped off eBay. Dealership will want over $300.
Yeah, I was looking on LPF too, I think they are only like $130 there too. But my warrenty is up, so i'm hesitant to take it up there.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Coolant Warning will come on if the pump shorts to ground and opens the EMISS fuse that powers it. Other codes will set as well and the car will often stall as the O2 sensors and other emissions systems with not be working.
SWCRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement