Car won't crank? Here's the fix! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car won't crank? Here's the fix!

Did you go out today only to find out your car wouldn't even try to crank over? Something similar to this?

Some customers may comment that the vehicle will not start intermittently. This comment is referred to as "no crank, no start with complete power."

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

• A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.

• The "Security" light may flash immediately after trying to start the vehicle along with the message "Service Vehicle" in the Driver Information Center.

• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and/or B3033 may be set in history in the body control module (BCM).

Cause
When the key is rotated from the RUN to the START position there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK™ resistor in the ignition switch. An inconsistent contact inside the ignition switch between the printed circuit board and the contact finger may cause a no start condition.

Correction
Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition and Start Switch Replacement in SI.

Important: The 30-Minute Learn Procedure must be performed after the ignition switch has been replaced. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in SI.

Short answer: your ignition switch is bad. You can get a new one from Saturn/Chevy for about $30.

Here's the replacement instructions:
SaturnFans Forums - View Single Post - Changing ION ignition switch

Please PM me, it's the fastest way to get a hold of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post
• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and/or B3033 may be set in history in the body control module (BCM).

I plugged up to the OBDII port today after that happened and I didn't get any codes for this?

This problem has happened to me before, but only when it was very cold outside and today it was 50 degrees so its progressively getting worse. I'm bringing it to Saturn this weekend to get fixed and I thought it would've been a good idea to videotape it for people to see first hand what exactly happens since it's been happening to a lot of RLF members lately. This should be made in a How-to or a sticky so people can find it easily. Nice job. I was pissed when I recorded that I was leaving work for lunch GRRRR!!! Sat there twenty minutes.

140+ Club Member

Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've PMed a few people about making it a sticky, it just hasn't happened yet.

As far as the codes go, that's just something I copy/pasted out of someone else's post on one of the various threads. Sounded like the official GM bulletin so I figured I would include it.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
BECAUSE RACECAR

Hope mines not next. Its pretty damn cold here and its take a few secs for the car to start, it at least attempts, doesnt sounds like that tho.
Black and Silver Knightz Member #8
MAXXED OUT BLACKED OUT LEVEL... TEAM MURDA!!!
Owner of 2004 Ion Redline and 2004 Nissan 350z!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
DSLSJA Godfather

Location: Charlotte - 2nd time Ive lived somewhere called the QC. 255hp 155dB
No offense Paul, this is old. there are many posts and i believe threads about it.

I replaced mine for the same reason about a year ago. Cheap and quick fix actually. Homie, just do it. It isnt a huge pain to replace and much less of a headache than dealing with the car not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
inside every fat guy is a skinny guy trying to get out, its his own damn fault he was in my way at the buffet...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, it's old, there's also been 2 threads in the past week about it.

Car won't crank

Saturn ion want start

That's why I asked for it to be a sticky. In theory they'll see this thread and get their answer without making a new thread, but if people STILL post threads about it, we can just point them here.

And then mock them.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 12-10-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine used to do the exact same thing when it was new wouldn't crank and get the passlock icon light with the service vehicle message. I took it to the dealer under warranty, and in my case it was the "passlock sensor". Never had that issue again, but, as soon as my warranty ran out, the lock cylinder itself wore out to where it wouldn't turn at all. The cylinder never was really smooth, and I often had to wiggle the key around to get it to turn. Replaced the cylinder (it wasn't cheap, around $60-70 + a $20 re-code fee, my cost with shop discount) and it's smooth as butter now, better than it ever was even when the car was new!

Last edited by watts_up; 12-11-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
DSLSJA Godfather

Location: Charlotte - 2nd time Ive lived somewhere called the QC. 255hp 155dB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post
but if people STILL post threads about it, we can just point them here.

And then mock them.

Isnt that what you did?

Eh, I'll just mock you Name:  violent5.gif
Views: 12920
Size:  11.1 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

The GM Part number for the ignition switch is 10392423.

Would this problem as cause the Radio to shut off and make the click noise randomly while driving?

My car started acting up and did not start this morning after sitting for 3 straight days. But my battery got completely discharged while it was parked and I am not sure if I have given it a fair chance to recharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread