Replaced Ingition switch, now car wont start - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Replaced Ingition switch, now car wont start

I had the infamous no-start when cold problem, and verified that I had the DTC codes by my dealer. I replaced the ignition switch and followed the earlier post / sticky to relearn the passlock 4 times, but the car still has no crank / no start. Other than the intermittant no-start problem before the car was fine. I have been working on this ALL day, and made sure to wait at least 10 minutes between key cycles.

For 3 complete attempts I followed the instructions to the letter, but for the 4th, instead of turning to RUN I turned to START. Another post has said to do that, not turn to RUN. But neither method has worked. Here is the earlier post- is there something incorrect with this procedure ? I followed to the letter- what is wrong?

here is the process-----------
Rmove the upper steering column bezel. (pull up)
remove the lower left bezel (7mm)
Remove the ign switch. (t15 torx IIRC)

Install reverse of removal.

To relearn passlock, turn the key to run, then turn back to ACC. Leave like that for 10 mins, do again, then do again. Takes about 30 mins to complete. When 3 cycles complete, turn off car completely for at least 30 seconds. then start car.

Also, if car is a stick, make sure to push clutch when attempting to "start" at beginning of each cycle.
---------
Now, considering that one does not need to push in the clutch just to get it to run, this made me thing that putting it in RUN is wrong, and it must go to START. But I did make sure to push in the clutch when using the RUN setting and also the START setting. Any advice is welcome. If somebody has a more complete writeup of the PASSLOCK learn process i would appreciate it.

I did check to make sure the connector harness was installed properly and everything was good- I am totally baffled. Also, my previous part number was the same as the replacement- I had assumed that the new switch would have a new part number (rev'ed up to fix the problem). I also verified that the part was never replaced under warrenty by the dealer. The part I ordered was taken off the TSB, not the old switch. Odd. When waiting between cycles for at least 10 minutes, is it possible to wait TOO long ? Normally in relearn processes like this it is a minimum wait of 10 minutes, not 10 min exactly.

help !! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dogturd21; 01-11-2009 at 05:41 PM.
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lol, Why didnt you take it to dealer? It cost me $55 to get mine replaced my shit wouldnt start at all lol.
Redline_Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline_Brandon View Post
Lol, Why didnt you take it to dealer? It cost me $55 to get mine replaced my shit wouldnt start at all lol.
Well, I am not sure how you got that sort of deal- the list price on the part is $46, but they can be had at discount dealers (over the net) for about $31. So they did it for you for like $20 in labor ?? Did you have to blow the mechanic ? The labor rate in your area must be cheaper than Bangladesh, while in my area its usually over $100 a hour. I priced it at two different places, one was $420 and the other was about $275. Considering this was supposed to be an easy fix (and it has been until the PASSLOCK learn problem) it was a no brainer to fix it myself.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Use this exact procedure, in 30 minutes you will be all set

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Last edited by IMkenNY; 01-11-2009 at 09:48 PM.
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogturd21 View Post
Well, I am not sure how you got that sort of deal- the list price on the part is $46, but they can be had at discount dealers (over the net) for about $31. So they did it for you for like $20 in labor ?? Did you have to blow the mechanic ? The labor rate in your area must be cheaper than Bangladesh, while in my area its usually over $100 a hour. I priced it at two different places, one was $420 and the other was about $275. Considering this was supposed to be an easy fix (and it has been until the PASSLOCK learn problem) it was a no brainer to fix it myself.
Hahahaha! =D Nah man dude said originally 175.. I said hell with that i'll deal with my car not starting on the dot and wait a hr or two for it to start He said "Got 55 cash?" lol said hell yeah brb going to bank but gl on fixin the problem
Redline_Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkenNY View Post
Use this exact procedure, in 30 minutes you will be all set

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Thanks Ken- that did the trick and got the Passlock relearned. I am not sure why there are two different methods, unless they changed it after a certain model year. This method worked for my 2006 Ion Redline. The other method in the sticky used positions Run and Acc, while this method uses positions Start, Run and Off.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine did this last night! Still didn't start this morning so I'm using a paid sick day I just ordered mine through my friend's shop for 15 bucks and putting it in tonight!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not so much

Alright, so I've put the new ignition switch in and did the whole learn procedure and still a no go. Although the security light/passlock light does not flash anymore. Still, I turn the key and click..nothing else.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what else it could be?!?
slipknot2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot2157 View Post
Alright, so I've put the new ignition switch in and did the whole learn procedure and still a no go. Although the security light/passlock light does not flash anymore. Still, I turn the key and click..nothing else.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what else it could be?!?
Follow the instructions posted by IMKenNY- they worked for me (on the 2nd try). You are basically trying to start the engine, and after the 3rd time when the security light goes out, you shut it off completely for 5-10 seconds, then try to start it. Keep in mind that my ION RL is a 2006. I think these instructions work for any year ION, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I actually printed those instructions out before the switch even arrived. I followed them step for step, then nothing. I was like, "you have got to be kidding me". I waited a little while, then went back out there and tried to start it again, nothing. So with the key in the ignition, I frantically cycled between off an on like 9 times and it started right up.. I have no idea why, but I'm glad it started. Lets just hope it continues to start.

Mine RL is a 2004
slipknot2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement