Ignition switch - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
crazybrew609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,813
switch first, second time around rplace both switch and BCM..


Document ID: 1787659
#04-08-45-005D: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set

Quote:
Using the chart below, verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.
<--- refer to avitar for comment

anyone else wanna question it? come on i'm sure someone here really wants to go a few rounds, not really knowing what the offical word is on how to fix this issue... anyone?

go into your dealer with the doc id# and the bulliten number and they will tell you the exact same thing i just did

Last edited by crazybrew609; 01-22-2009 at 06:55 AM.
crazybrew609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
qwikredline11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrew609 View Post
switch first, second time around rplace both switch and BCM..


Document ID: 1787659
#04-08-45-005D: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set



<--- refer to avitar for comment

anyone else wanna question it? come on i'm sure someone here really wants to go a few rounds, not really knowing what the offical word is on how to fix this issue... anyone?

go into your dealer with the doc id# and the bulliten number and they will tell you the exact same thing i just did
Based on answering Satero on the front spring issue, no matter what you tell him he will argue with you and tell you how wrong you are. Best to let him learn the hard way...you have summarised the situation 100% correctly. Nothing more to say, just fix it per TSB
qwikredline11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
The problem is not in any module. I've never even heard of a body control module. The problem is with the ignition switch itself. Something about the passlock contacts not touching during cold weather due to the grease they used in a lot of the switches.

Well, just because you've never heard of that module doesn't mean it's not there. And I wasn't saying the problem was in the module....I was just explaining how the BCM was a part of the theft deterrent system. But what do I know, I just work on these things at the dealership 5 days a week.
Sunburst_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
crazybrew609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS View Post
Well, just because you've never heard of that module doesn't mean it's not there. And I wasn't saying the problem was in the module....I was just explaining how the BCM was a part of the theft deterrent system. But what do I know, I just work on these things at the dealership 5 days a week.

lol yea i know really many, me too... what do i know i've only been fixing these things every day for the last 4 years
crazybrew609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NAS JRB Fort Worth
Posts: 651
LOL I apologize if that sounded like I was being a dick I wasn't trying to. It's hard to convey tone over the internet. Once again sorry. I was truly curious as to what a BCM was as I've never heard of a body control module before.
__________________


Semper Fi!

"Be polite, be professional, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
LOL I apologize if that sounded like I was being a dick I wasn't trying to. It's hard to convey tone over the internet. Once again sorry. I was truly curious as to what a BCM was as I've never heard of a body control module before.
The way I understand it, the BCM is one more computer in the car. Some cars have quite a few computers- I was reading in Car and Driver a while back about some production GM car had 6 or 7 computers. I am a computer weenie and have worked in the electronics manufacturing area for many years (in the past, not now). I can tell you that the engine computers in most cars are quite inexpensive to manufacture, given that they are one simple PCB with a few chips. I bet the cost to GM of the basic engine computer was probably in the range of $15 to $30. Of course, this does not really cover the cost of generating the specific calibration (the program, maps etc.) which is tailored to each specific car / engine combination. I have never taken apart a BCM so I cannot comment on that other than to speculate that its probably even cheaper than the engine computer.

About the Ignition Switch being a Saturn F.U.- turns out the exact same part is used in the Cobalt, Pontiac G5, Chevy HHR and a few other models. The TSB on replacing the ignition switch (not the key part, but a plastic switch/relay like thing on the end of the key lock) says that if replacing the switch did not work, then replace the BCM. That concerns me because that part from a dealer is probably expensive, but replacing the switch worked for me.
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NAS JRB Fort Worth
Posts: 651
I need to get to the dealer and pick up a new switch to put in and see if that solves my problem. Probably will till next winter LOL.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
golden chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Acton, MA
Posts: 9,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogturd21 View Post
The way I understand it, the BCM is one more computer in the car. Some cars have quite a few computers- I was reading in Car and Driver a while back about some production GM car had 6 or 7 computers. I am a computer weenie and have worked in the electronics manufacturing area for many years (in the past, not now). I can tell you that the engine computers in most cars are quite inexpensive to manufacture, given that they are one simple PCB with a few chips. I bet the cost to GM of the basic engine computer was probably in the range of $15 to $30. Of course, this does not really cover the cost of generating the specific calibration (the program, maps etc.) which is tailored to each specific car / engine combination. I have never taken apart a BCM so I cannot comment on that other than to speculate that its probably even cheaper than the engine computer.

About the Ignition Switch being a Saturn F.U.- turns out the exact same part is used in the Cobalt, Pontiac G5, Chevy HHR and a few other models. The TSB on replacing the ignition switch (not the key part, but a plastic switch/relay like thing on the end of the key lock) says that if replacing the switch did not work, then replace the BCM. That concerns me because that part from a dealer is probably expensive, but replacing the switch worked for me.
i think the point of adding "if replacing the switch doesn't work, replace bcm" is that the two things that control whether or not a signal is sent to the pcm to crank the motor are the ignition switch and the bcm and of course, the wiring. if there is a no-crank/no-start with security tell-tale and potential body codes, and you replace the switch and the problem still exists, then it must be a faulty bcm. however, since it is probably always the switch, even if next year the problem recurs, there should be very few people having to replace bcms,

in other words, if yuou fix the problem once with the switch, then next year the problem comes back, don't automatically assume now you need a new bcm. try a(nother) new switch and if the problem is not solved, THEN you need a bcm.
__________________


Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
golden chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 238
Golden-Chicken- I agree 100%
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dainslaif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I wonder if there is a way to bypass wire the passlock system. I've been having problems with mine also with the colder weather coming on.
So back to Jeep's original question - I did a little bit of searching. One of you two guys "that works on them every day" can verify if this works.
Passlock System - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat - post #5.
He claims it's as simple as clipping one wire while the engine's running.
"page 3, If the correct key is in the cylinder and that circuit fails while the engine is running, this is considered a malfunction, not a theft attempt. The “Security” light may turn on to warn of a system malfunction, but even if it doesn’t, a key recognition circuit failure with the proper key in the lock will cause the TDM to enter what GM calls a “fail-enable” mode. Essentially, the theft-deterrent system goes offline and the engine will start and run with any key that turns the lock."

Alternately - I looked on a remote start page and found this info.
Saturn Ion info

It also states what Golden Chicken said - for a method where you can disable the passlock only when you start the car you would need one of these.
XK06 - Programmable Platform#06: GM Override Interface
__________________
2004 Ion Redline, RIP. Buy my parts: http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...ectors-wb.html

Please PM me, it's the fastest way to get a hold of me.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 01-23-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Dainslaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ignition switch removal Nickster914 ION Redline Discussion 6 01-21-2009 05:27 PM
Ignition Switch Revisited dam718 Problems & Troubleshooting 1 11-12-2008 08:13 AM
Ignition switch troubles mypoorbrain Problems & Troubleshooting 8 01-05-2008 10:26 AM
Ignition switch installation/fuel line Igor Problems & Troubleshooting 4 05-19-2007 05:39 PM
Ignition switch installation/fuel line Igor Problems & Troubleshooting 0 05-19-2007 11:18 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2