Brake warning lights - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brake warning lights

OK, so here's the history on the issue. About 5 months ago, the red brake light to the right of the spedometer started coming on very intermittently. At first I wondered if something was goofed up with the sensor on the E-brake, because the light seemed to go off if I engaged the E-brake and then turned it off again. But it was very intermittent, so I check the brake fluid, and it seemed a smidge low. I topped it off, and light didn't come back on anymore. I though "OK, cool, keep an eye on it."

So, the light has started coming back on again. I started to assumeI must have a slow fluid leak of some sort. Top of the fluid again, and this time, the light not only does not go off, now the yellow ABS light on the left side of the dash is coming on as well.

Brakes feel perfectly fine when driving. Don't feel squishy or too stiff. Don't feel any different than they always have. In safe areas, I've messed with the brakes a bit stopping hard on them, and they seem to work just fine.

Now, the lights aren't on all the time. They never come on when I first start the car. It's typically about after 3-4 minutes of driving if they are going to come on. Sometimes they don't come on at all. And they don't come one when I press the brakes. Often, the lights come on while I'm just driving. Doesn't seem to be dependent on turning or anything, so I don't think it's fluid sloshing around. I've been keeping a careful eye on the reservoir and I don't notice it going down at all in the past week or two.

I've been super busy, so haven't had time to get it to the shop yet, but hopefully on Monday. Thought I'd toss the details up here and see if anybody had any ideas for me.

2005 ION Redline
Black, Competition Pkg - Welfare intake, Antenna delete, driled/slotted roots and ceramic pads....for now.

2007 Deep Blue Saturn VUE - Totaled in an accident
2004 Electric Blue ION Redline - Destroyed engine, traded in
Best time: 14.48 @ 97.64 MPH (only mods were welfare intake and weight reduction)
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

abs light could be because of the current whether, whe you have one wheel spinning slower/fast than the other, the system thinks there is a speed sensor problem....as for the brake light, check the rear calipers, my girl's rl leaked last year and would bring the fluid down and light on of course.

mine has never had either problem, then again I've done so much preventitive maint. it's rediculous

I also port and polish lsj heads for a very reasonable price, pm me for details

mods in your sig isn't cool anymore
billabong9687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

One day a couple of years ago my abs light came on when I started the car. Stayed on until I got home and turned the car off. Never came back on. Sounds like your abs is coming on more than just once, so probably not just the gremlins.

Red Clan Grand Master Assassin...
Big Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Awesome

Well..its a brake problem..could be anything related to brakes but check your pads and rotors..did the trick for me and many others...

Member #01 Black Carpet
I like to make projector headlights
https://www.facebook.com/RLPRetrofitting?ref=hl
RLProfessional is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm bi-winning

Is your fluid level good?

The only reason pads do anything is because when you compress the piston your filling the resivior back up with fluid to the correct level. The actual pads have nothing to do with the light.
For sale: 16lb. 5 bars w/225/55/16 snows, OZ Alleggerita Hlt's w/235 Potenza 040's, 4 265/35/18 Falken Azenis Rt-615's, Dss stage 2 axles, misc. meth parts, wideband, dual interceptors, m62 pulleys:GM stage 2, 2.8, maf translator, stage 2 belt, Hawk HPS front&rear pads, drilled rear rotors, spline drive lugs, poly mounts, tvs pulleys:2.9, 2.85, 2.8, 2.75, 2.7, 2.6, fe5 endlinks, black low rise spoiler, 34# injectors, driver side a pillar cover, dash hawk, t/c boost gauge, misc. tires.
87GN06GTO07IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07irlin216 View Post
Is your fluid level good?

The only reason pads do anything is because when you compress the piston your filling the resivior back up with fluid to the correct level. The actual pads have nothing to do with the light.
I did refill the reservoir, but I'm wondering if I may have filled it too far. Would that cause the issue too?

I realized that I didn't mention that I am driving on the donut on the rear driver's side right now, as I got a flat had haven't got it fixed yet. But I can't remember now if the ABS light was on before or after I swapped on the donut. That's interesting. So, the ABS light could simply be because of the donut which is spinning at a different rate than the other tires. Hopefully getting the spare fixed today at the very least, and having the auto-shop give the car a once-over.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

make sure your donut is properly inflated. i see a lot of people run along on a spare tire filled to 14 psi because they never check it.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
golden chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would think the doughnut would cause a problem with the abs.
Big Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
make sure your donut is properly inflated. i see a lot of people run along on a spare tire filled to 14 psi because they never check it.
It is. It was a little low when I first put it on, but I filled it up right away.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

not if it's properly inflated, BK
golden chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement