Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Replacing Starter

30K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  golden chicken 
#1 ·
I need to put a starter in my 04, and I was wondering does anyone have a step by step process to replacing the starter. Also what is a good to starter to replace the old one with? and I also need new traction bars, what is a good set of traction bars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I just recently did mine. It's not too hard, I went in from the top and it was easier to get it out. To go in through the top you need to take the supercharger off, alternator off, and the intake manifold. Once those are out the way the starter is really easy to get off. I got my starter through Autozone.

#3 ·
i did mine from the bottom, but i have a lift to work on. remove the intercooler pump bracket, push the intercooler pump out of the way and unbolt the starter. the hardest part is the intercooler pump bracket bolt that's near the base of the oil dipstick tube. it's just a little awkward.

make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable or be really really careful not to let any wires touch anything.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I'm trying to replace the starter from the bottom. I can't get a wrench on the upper mounting bolt. I don't have a line-of-sight, but it feels like there is a harness connector right next to the hex of the bolt that prevents the box end wrench from engaging. Any advice?

#6 ·
It fucking sucks but it is doable with a deep well socket and a shorty extension. be pateint with it as it is a go by feel type thing./

#8 ·
I got it off.

I was trying to remove the bolt from the top, which was harder than hell.

Then I tried using a 4" extension/socket/racket so the ratchet handle was past the starter body and turned it from the bottom. That worked much better, still going by feel, but I was able to steady the socket with my left hand and turn with my right. I was looking at my headers the whole time, if that give you an idea how well I could see what I was doing.

#9 ·
Lol, yeah its a pretty rewarding feeling when you get that little shit outa there. I came at it from the bottom and was quite frustrated by the end. Iirc its like 2 or three ratchet clicks per stroke kinda tight.

#10 ·
dumb question - I know it's a transverse mounted 2.2 liter 4 cyl engine on my 2004 Ion. Looks like the traditional "front" (with the drive belts, alternator, water pump, etc) is on the passenger side, while the "rear" (with the transmission) is on the driver side. Which side is the starter on - driver side or passenger side? if I'm working from below with the car on jackstands, should I remove the corresponding front tire for ease or access?

#11 ·
No need, to remove tire, looking at the car from the front, it is on the right, just follow the wires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.