Replacing clutch master cylinder - need help with fuse box removal - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Replacing clutch master cylinder - need help with fuse box removal

Searched through several threads and understand underhood fuse box needs to be moved out of the way to get at the clutch master cylinder but can't figure out how to pull the dang fuse box out...

disconnected negative lead on battery

Looking from front of car to back to the firewall (forgive my noobish terminology):

removed front vertical panel (ECU?) from brackets
removed fuse box cover
removed nut front left with wire lead
removed "bolt" from front right wire lead
loosened three bolts in the middle of the panel

Fuse box wiggles a bit and acts like it want to come apart. I can see the plastic "bracket holders" underneath the unit but there's no quick disconnect tab like on the vertical piece in front of it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

those three screws just need to be pulled out. I think I was able to get enough leverage to pull up on them while loosening them to extract them from the box. if that doesn't work, you just need to make sure the plastic clip things are all edged out so that the top can be removed, then just pull. it literally just snaps back into place when you go to reinstall. removing the screws I remember was important to facilitate the process, but not necessary. those clips all along the side are necessary, though. you should also remove all the fuses and relays etc, because they're helping hold that top part in. once you get the top part out, there are three "blocks" under it, with 3 wire harnesses. these just snap outof place if you pull (they were held in by those 3 screws), and under one of them is a 10mm hex that will help you remove the bottom of the fuse block and get you access to that bracket holding everything. HTH
Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My rebuilding the lsj
hawlyns711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawlyns711 View Post
those three screws just need to be pulled out. I think I was able to get enough leverage to pull up on them while loosening them to extract them from the box. if that doesn't work, you just need to make sure the plastic clip things are all edged out so that the top can be removed, then just pull. it literally just snaps back into place when you go to reinstall. removing the screws I remember was important to facilitate the process, but not necessary. those clips all along the side are necessary, though. you should also remove all the fuses and relays etc, because they're helping hold that top part in. once you get the top part out, there are three "blocks" under it, with 3 wire harnesses. these just snap outof place if you pull (they were held in by those 3 screws), and under one of them is a 10mm hex that will help you remove the bottom of the fuse block and get you access to that bracket holding everything. HTH
Perfect, although I can say I was hoping I didn't have to pull all the fuses/relays from a PITA perspective

Thanks Hawlyns (looking forward to hearing your exhaust setup BTW).
Droxity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Im guessing you already replaced it but just for future reference, undo bolts that hold the actual bracket that is holding the fuse box and one of the bolt is on the frame, and the other bolt is on the coolant reservoir. Once you do that you can pull the whole thing forward and it will give you more than enough space to reach in there an remove it.
714redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714redline View Post
Im guessing you already replaced it but just for future reference, undo bolts that hold the actual bracket that is holding the fuse box and one of the bolt is on the frame, and the other bolt is on the coolant reservoir. Once you do that you can pull the whole thing forward and it will give you more than enough space to reach in there an remove it.
Ya, little late to the party, thanks though...just did it like hawlyns suggested...now that I've done it once, NP whatsoever.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anyone know what size the bolt is that attaches to the frame by chance?
arrggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrggg View Post
Anyone know what size the bolt is that attaches to the frame by chance?
You talking about the bolts for the bracket the holds the PCM and fusebox?

Two top nuts are 10mm and the bottom bolt is 13mm IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement