Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1st Gear Grind?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Elmeno19 
#1 ·
I've owned my '05 RL for about eight months now and its always grinded going into first gear. I put a ZZP stage 3 on at 45k, I've got 55k now.

If I'm at a dead stop and press the clutch in and shift into first it will grind. If I push the clutch in and wait a few seconds it will go in fine. If I shift into second, I can shift into first fine.

If I'm moving (maybe 5mph) and try down shifting into first the car will grind. If I shift into second and quickly shift into first while moving slowly it will go in with only a little grind, but if I'm not quick enough it will grind.

I guess if its worn syncros I will just deal with it like I've been. Would a fluid change help? What fluid is best in a NY climate through summers and winters? Thanks

#5 ·
I'd change the fluid in the trans, 1st gear syncro blocker might be checking out. Does the clutch chatter like a bitch when you slip it?

#9 ·
Try giving it alittle rev when/before down shifting into first clutch in. Make the input shaft/transmission match the desired RPM/speed and if your grind goes away there is your issue pretty much. Improper driver input could be the issue! Shit my 99 ranger does not like first when at a low speed unless i rev it! Lol If no change to driver input but new fluid makes it go away your golden. If new fluid does not change anything and you dont change what your doing then it's driver input error. If alittle rev takes away your concern then you have found the issue! Also make sure all trans cables are tight and rollpin is intact and operational but then again if you had an issue with either it would be not limited to first gear! But better to be safe than sorry!

#11 ·
You send a chipmunk up there to look.

Or use one of those flexibly handheld remote camera thingys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.