Car won't start - limited electrical power - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car won't start - limited electrical power

Hey all,

Trying to see if I can get some help. I have an '07 Redline, drove it over to get ready for a trip (30min drive), parked it and left it sit for maybe an hour. Went down to start it and it cranked like normal. It ran for many 5-10 seconds before it died.

Everything inside the cabin except for the cigarette lighters lost power. I replaced the battery, and the only things with power seem to be the headlights and the cigarette lighters. I tried checking all the fuses (both outside and inside fuses), but I do not see any blown fuses. Also, the ground it tight, no corrosion on the terminals or anything. Saw somewhere else where they replaced the ignition switch, so I think I will try this next.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions on where to go, I would appreciate any help I can get. Not sure what else to do before dragging it into a shop, which I would really rather not do. Thanks to anyone who can help.
That Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

the ignition switch is an easy fix but make sure thats what it is there should be a lock and key symbol flashing on the dash when this happens. When this happens the car has a 10 min anti theft limit so when it happens you should see the lock symbol flash and then wait for 11 min till you try to start again. This mainly happens because of the cold the dyelectric grease that is on the pass lock gels up causing it not to read correctly and the car thinks the lock has been broken. Here is the how to on the subject good luck

How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn

when this happened to me it had full power inside and out dash lights were on and everything except it would not crank/start. if your not getting power to the dash its probably something else

Last edited by djames; 11-25-2012 at 03:41 PM.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Does sound like it could be the switch, if the only things that have power are direct wired as you mention.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

New ignition switch, but still no dice. I'm not a fuse/relay expert, but are there any relays that may cause this? Not sure if there is an easy way to test them. Thanks again for any help/ideas that could be provided.
That Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

You aren't getting the passlock light then?
If it is not cranking or attempting to crank now idk. Battery good? You need a test light or a multi meter to probe both sides of every fuse to be sure they are good.
recaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement