Tire Rubbing - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Tire Rubbing

Hey all,

06 ion redline with 18in bbs rims and 225/40/18 tires. I have noticed that when turning to the right i can only get about 3/4 of a turn on the wheel before the tire starts rubbing on the splash shield. I dont recall this being an issue when i first picked the car up, but i have realized i dont seem to turn hard to the right very often. On the splash guard (towards the engine compartment and towards the front of the car) there are 3 ridges that stick down and these are what the tire is hitting.

I have read several posts of people running these rims and tire size without any rub. When i checked the splash shield it seemed snug and didnt move around. It didnt look like any of the clips are missing. Any suggestions on what could cause this if the shield is in place correctly? I fear if the rubbing continues i may start destroying jars of mayo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM

I ran 225/35/19s on pedder springs and never rubbed. Sounds odd unless ya on some really low springs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what springs they are as i haven't gotten a chance to get a good look. They are Orange colored. I think they may be megan racing springs as they look similar to these Megan Racing Lowering Springs Saturn Ion 2003-2005 2004 MR-LS-SIO03 . They are stiff as hell though while driving.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Ya Im pretty sure megans are straight lowering springs. Large drop, crappy ride and a greater chance of rubbing. They make something called spring helpers that might lift ya alittle if you dont mind not being slammed.

Just dont turn right like they do in nascar.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Yeah, you have a problem. I've seen broken springs and spring perches break off the strut before, but not on an Ion, yet. Then again, almost every one I've seen has had the suspension modified at least once in its life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

We shall see what the stealership says. Car is there today to get the A/C compressor changed. I told them it was rubbing and asked them to check it out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Stealership found nothing wrong. Will just have to deal with it I guess.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

What offset are your wheels?

06 Silver RL |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Quote:
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

the offset is 42
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

That is a perfectly normal offset. Weird?

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
broken shit Is par for mcclure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.