valve seal issue - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

valve seal issue

ok so my head has been at the machine shop for about a week now with the only thing holding me up is valve stem seals. when we went to replace them the shop bought fel pro seals but he said the supertech springs dont sit on them right and that i would need to get a new set of stock ones. well i went to crate engine depot and was about to order them and decided to check if anyone else sold them for cheaper since the stock ones are like 60 bucks for all 16. well i went to zzp and ended up buying viton valve seals since they were only 20 bucks and they said they would work. well when i bought them i added a note on what i would be using them for. when they were shipped zzp wrote on the shipping paper that the ones on there site wont work for the dual valve spring kit but they sent me the ones that would. low and behold they sent me the exact same ones that are listed on there site same product number and everything. so i bring them to the machine shop and the guy said these are the same as the fel pro's and wont work and he shows me why. the felpro's and viton's are basically missing the hole lower half of the seal were part of the spring rests on and he showed me that it would just float around if i diddnt have the stock ones. so i went to my local dealer and shelled out the money for the stock ones and everything is back on schedule. well i email zzp about this and they said that its not there fault they sent me the right ones and said that the ones i ordered arnt even on there site(which they are i have the part number and pics to prove it) they then went onto to say that these should work and its my machine shops fault. basically this dude henry over there that emailed was a complete jackass(mind u i didnt send the happiest of emails to them since i was kinda upset over this issue) and told me i would not be refunded my shipping and that it was my machine shops fault. What im wondering is if this is my machine shops fault or is zzp just being a dumbass by sending me the wrong shit and now wont fess up for it. any and all help is appreciated.
2006 Ion Redline: 80# injectors, tuned on e85, k&n cai,Ca V2 shorty header, magna flow catback to borla xr1 muffler,zzp catted downpipe,bwoody rear sway bar,zzp heat exchanger,custom option b, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, ingalls torque damper,quaffe lsd, Power stop evolution ceramic pads, Power stop Kinetic drilled and slotted rotors.

tbandit420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am no pro on this matter but I recall reading more than one build thread that used aftermarket springs and seals. If I get ambitious after dinner I'll find one. I wonder if Phil is running stock since his springs have been upgraded...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boost get some.

Sounds like you may need to see if they are part of the bbb if so contact them with complaint.
laser_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

well the machine shop showed me first hand why the stock ones work but these wont. heres a pic of the stock ones.

now here is a pic of the small viton seals i was sent next to the bigger ones they also sell so im pretty sure the bigger ones are the ones i needed but the henry dude said they looked to big and that supertech said the small ones are suppose to work with the springs. my things is like i said the shop showed me why i needed the stock ones or bigger ones since they have the lip that the springs sits on and the small seals will have the spring float around. i just dont see how these small ones in the pic which are the ones that i was sent could at all work but i so understand how the bigger ones would.

any opinions?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unless the diameter of the spring is different I can't see why they wouldn't work honestly
recaro86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

the issue the machine shop said is the smaller seal doesnt give the bigger spring anything to rest on like the stock seal does. therefore the spring would just be hitting the base of the head and he showed me how the spring sits on the stock seal how the bottom lip holds the outer spring in place and with the smaller seal it only sits up in the inner spring. i personally have no clue and im going off what the machine shop is showing me which makes since. the machine shop has been in buisness for 30+ years and ive seen his work and its top notch so thats why im believing the machine shop but he is an older guy so maybe this is a "new technology thing" i have no fucking clue and im just stuck while my car sits waiting for the head. ive never messed with valve springs or a head before so this is a bit out of my league lol
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
F_ck Bates

i have never used the zzp seals. i used the stock ones in the first pics from the op. the red looking ones. worked fine for me. i run a gm race head with stock cams for now. supertech valves with stock seats n seals.

07 Recaro Swap Member #4
In the best interest of RLF, thanks for un-banning Qwikredline
philzoot007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbandit420 View Post

any opinions?
you definitely want the bottom ones FYI. I used those exact ones on my L61 head just two weeks ago
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Too late he has the stockers back in and should be about ready to turn the key on this unless slacking is contagious
recaro86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement