fix head gasket and other unknowns, or new engine - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

fix head gasket and other unknowns, or new engine

Hey guys serious question.. i found out ive had a blown head gasket for a long time which is why i kept loosing coolant overtime. Luckily it was only pushing combustion gas into the cooling system. No water in the oil. But with the cold temps it got to the point i dont feel safe driving it. I can fix it for $900. But i dont know if any thing else will need fixing also. Or i can buy a remanufactured lsj with 6 month warranty for $2200. Long story short id prefer cheaper but the cheal choice could end up being the expensive choice. Im still planning on all the stage 3 stuff with header downpipe heat exchanger etc. If i can afford it after the fix. Any advice will be great.
Retard Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

How bad is the gasket? If you've been driving it for a long time, you may have warped the head. If you're having the work done at a shop, they should be able to let you know if it is or isn't (assuming they are truly being honest with you).
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

In the long run you're probably better off getting a new motor since you will have to replace other worn parts along with the head gasket. Shop around and you should be able to find a good deal.
Lord Xenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
F_ck Bates

200 bucks. give or take, for the gasket and new bolts. thats if u use arp studs. and a weekend of ur time. is the cheapest way to do it. if u have any hand tool skill u can do the job. no special tools required. build book walks u thru it step by step.

P.S. Im just saying lol lol....

07 Recaro Swap Member #4
In the best interest of RLF, thanks for un-banning Qwikredline
philzoot007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well if it wasnt ten degrees outside or if i had a garage id try that. And if the heads warped i can get one for around $250 and still be cheaper then an engine. I think ill try to go with the head gasket fix and just be prepared to replace a few parts if needed. Its not what i want but probably all i can afford. And it got worse with the cold. The gasket was shrinking up enough to let coolant poor into the cylinder. Thats why i stopped driving it.
Retard Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

How many miles on the motor? Any other issues with it?
While you have the cover off, you should check tensioner bolts and guides for wear.

If all else is good I'd throw a gasket in it and run the bitch
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another thing to consider with the remaned engine. If you plan on doing the upgrades, I doubt you'll have any warranty to count on with it, they always have a back door to escape paying out. I also doubt it's the head due to the predictability of your leak. Just be sure to have it pressure checked and unless you already know what caused it, make sure you find out the cause of the head gasket/ head issue and corrert for it so you don't have to do it twice. Just some thoughts, good luck.
pjpkwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retard Fast View Post
Hey guys serious question.. i found out ive had a blown head gasket for a long time which is why i kept loosing coolant overtime. Luckily it was only pushing combustion gas into the cooling system. No water in the oil. But with the cold temps it got to the point i dont feel safe driving it. I can fix it for $900. But i dont know if any thing else will need fixing also. Or i can buy a remanufactured lsj with 6 month warranty for $2200. Long story short id prefer cheaper but the cheal choice could end up being the expensive choice. Im still planning on all the stage 3 stuff with header downpipe heat exchanger etc. If i can afford it after the fix. Any advice will be great.
if your losing coolant and having white smoke exhaust your getting coolant into your pistons. Just because you blew your head gasket does not automatically mean new engine, but it depends on why it is leaking in the first place. The only way to know for sure is to pull the head and check the gasket. If you have the knowledge and the place to do it yourself then do it
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement