Clutch is going bad - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Clutch is going bad

Every so often when I punch it in 2nd or 3rd gears only my car will kind of just rev and eventually catch. Seems like the pressure plate not giving the pressure it should. I have 42's and a 3.0" pulley on it now but will soon be upgrading to 60's and a 2.9". I've found 2 clutches that I'm interested in. Wondering which one you guys think I should go with. The GMPP clutch or an Exedy OE replacement. The Exedy is a few dollars cheaper but it says OE so I'm not sure if it would hold the small mods I've done to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
LikeABoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hard to go wrong with the GMPP kit. IIRC, the hypersingle is good but has significantly more pedal pressure and probably doesn't have the same life as the GMPP (LNF) clutch.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

That definitely helps. Will I need to buy that "cobalt clutch pipe" as CED recommends or is that cobalt specific? Also, it doesn't appear that the CED GMPP clutch comes with a slave cylinder and the Exedy does. I know when the clutch went out with my eclipse I was 100% it was the pressure plate and it turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder... I just want to get it fixed with as little cash as possible. I have also read to replace the flywheel with the clutch. Would it be wise to stay stock or go aftermarket lightweight with the flywheel?

Thanks
-Nick

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
That definitely helps. Will I need to buy that "cobalt clutch pipe" as CED recommends or is that cobalt specific? Also, it doesn't appear that the CED GMPP clutch comes with a slave cylinder and the Exedy does. I know when the clutch went out with my eclipse I was 100% it was the pressure plate and it turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder... I just want to get it fixed with as little cash as possible. I have also read to replace the flywheel with the clutch. Would it be wise to stay stock or go aftermarket lightweight with the flywheel?

Thanks
-Nick

1) Yes the GMPP clutch kit comes with an integrated throw-out bearing/slave cylinder (it's a combined component on our cars). Essentially the entire upgrade kit is just LNF components.

2) The clutch pipe is universal for F35 and is highly recommended to replace as it is impossible to do without the trans out of the car. One other thing is to make sure you get a clutch alignment tool if you are doing the job yourself.

3) A lightweight flywheel definitely effects drivability of the car and significantly shortens life of the clutch disk. If you are buying an OEM flywheel, make sure you get the LSJ flywheel, not the LNF.

Best of luck!
Droxity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just ordered new clutch myself as well today from CED. All said and done with the GMPP clutch it was $525 with shipping. But I also got a new flywheel, bolts, and cobalt clutch pipe. All of which are highly recommended, especially if your car is over 100k like mine. Can't wait to get this baby in im so tired of the sloppy pedal feel and constantly slipping clutch.

-- TWM short shifter
--Snow performance water/meth injection
--AEM short ram w/typhoon filter
--GMPP upgraded clutch
--Fully upgraded sound system (for DD purposes)
--100k+ miles, (experienced)
greenlinesRcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Clutch is going bad

Pretty pissed at lousy GM customer service.. Tensioner arm is wobbling like crazy on my car and I order one through the local dealership. Takes a month for it to FINALLY come in and they ordered the Idler!!!!! They expect me to pay for a part I don't need. I told them to piss off! They said the tensioner only comes as a complete assembly and I can't just get the pulley or the bracket, I know for a fact that I can. I have a pulley in my friggin hands right now... They want almost $400 for that so I just bought the adjustable tensioner from ZZP. Piss on GM man. They won't even work on my car because of it's "performance" parts. LOL it's a Saturn!!! I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
Pretty pissed at lousy GM customer service.. Tensioner arm is wobbling like crazy on my car and I order one through the local dealership. Takes a month for it to FINALLY come in and they ordered the Idler!!!!! They expect me to pay for a part I don't need. I told them to piss off! They said the tensioner only comes as a complete assembly and I can't just get the pulley or the bracket, I know for a fact that I can. I have a pulley in my friggin hands right now... They want almost $400 for that so I just bought the adjustable tensioner from ZZP. Piss on GM man. They won't even work on my car because of it's "performance" parts. LOL it's a Saturn!!! I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed...

Buy everything from CrateEngineDepot...call and talk to Tom if you have questions.
Droxity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Clutch is going bad

Just bought the adjustable one from ZZP, so too late for that. Planned in getting clutch and everything from CED though.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Clutch is going bad

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...-Flywheel.aspx

Anybody see this deal going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement