Passlock - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Passlock

Hello All,

Over the past few months i have had my Passlock light come on ( solid , not blinking) randomly while driving. My car starts fine with the light off then randomly it will go on while i am driving. sometimes it takes only a few minutes, sometimes more then 30. when i shut down the car and turn the engine back on the light is not there and will come on again when i am driving.

It has not been an issue for me because my car runs fine. But recently i will go to start the car and it wont start and be blinking. I wait ten minutes till the light goes off then the car will start. I do not know if its because i live in NY and the Temp is really cold recently.

I just want to know what do i need to replace to fix this Passlock problem? new ignition switch?

My Car: 2005 Saturn Ion Redline
89,000 Miles
Currently very cold out ( 1 Degree to 30 degrees )
Mease87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone?? it happen to me again this morning and i was late for work. i need to get this figured out soon before i get fired.

how much will a dealership charge me if i just bring this problem to them? i might have to tomorrow
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Passlock

Sounds like a security issue it a PCM issue. It's difficult to tell. I would take it to the dealership.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LikeABoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine did the exact same thing before it had problems starting on cold mornings. Replace the passlock there is a detailed discription in the " how to articles" section of this forum. You do not need to bring it to the dealer it is actually an easy fix you just need to get the part on a quick ship from your local auto parts store. I went to advanced auto parts for mine. Give yourself some extra time in the morning so your not late for work it takes the car exactly 10 minutes to reset itself. Sometimes it takes multiple trys to get it to start when you have this problem.

good luck

Last edited by djames; 01-23-2013 at 09:15 PM.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Replace the passlock? you mean Replace the ignition switch? i called the dealership and a new ignition switch will run me about $49 for the part
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

ya the ignition switch its actually under the steering column heres the link from the how to articles

How to: Ignition Switch and Passlock Relearn

you can do this yourself and if i remember right the part was about $30 from the auto store so???
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found this on youtube. looks like the procedure how to do it. there are 6 short videos showing the process. his car is not a Redline just a normal Ion. hopefully its the same steps and whatnot . thanks for your help guys,. i will go buy the switch tomorrow and let you know how it goes. his car also flashes service vehicle. Mine does not. just flashes the passlock light.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

will this work too? cutting the white wire while the car is running ?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't heard if the wire trick works or not. This is still a "nice" car to me so I'd by the part and fix it right. Get to bed so you can wake up early it will surly act up again
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had this happen to me when It would get really cold. Turns out that the dielectric grease that was used in the factory ignition switch would freeze and cause this. I had mine replaced and its been fine.
2006 Red Redline Comp Package: ZZP 2.4 Stroker LSJ, ZZP S2 Cams, Supertech Valve springs, port and polished head, TVS with 2.7, 80lb injectors, full return system with Walbro pump, Meth injection, ZZP header and dp, Vibrant Exhaust, K&N CAI, ZZP S3 HE, Dual Pass with my "Option-C" ZZP S4 Clutch with Fadanza FW, ZZP CMC, B&M Shifter, Eibach Springs

My lug nuts take more torque than your Honda makes.
PistoNHeaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement