Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Passlock

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  recaro86 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Over the past few months i have had my Passlock light come on ( solid , not blinking) randomly while driving. My car starts fine with the light off then randomly it will go on while i am driving. sometimes it takes only a few minutes, sometimes more then 30. when i shut down the car and turn the engine back on the light is not there and will come on again when i am driving.

It has not been an issue for me because my car runs fine. But recently i will go to start the car and it wont start and be blinking. I wait ten minutes till the light goes off then the car will start. I do not know if its because i live in NY and the Temp is really cold recently.

I just want to know what do i need to replace to fix this Passlock problem? new ignition switch?

My Car: 2005 Saturn Ion Redline
89,000 Miles
Currently very cold out ( 1 Degree to 30 degrees )

#4 · (Edited)
Mine did the exact same thing before it had problems starting on cold mornings. Replace the passlock there is a detailed discription in the " how to articles" section of this forum. You do not need to bring it to the dealer it is actually an easy fix you just need to get the part on a quick ship from your local auto parts store. I went to advanced auto parts for mine. Give yourself some extra time in the morning so your not late for work it takes the car exactly 10 minutes to reset itself. Sometimes it takes multiple trys to get it to start when you have this problem.

good luck

#7 ·

I found this on youtube. looks like the procedure how to do it. there are 6 short videos showing the process. his car is not a Redline just a normal Ion. hopefully its the same steps and whatnot . thanks for your help guys,. i will go buy the switch tomorrow and let you know how it goes. his car also flashes service vehicle. Mine does not. just flashes the passlock light.

#9 ·
I haven't heard if the wire trick works or not. This is still a "nice" car to me so I'd by the part and fix it right. Get to bed so you can wake up early it will surly act up again

#10 ·
I had this happen to me when It would get really cold. Turns out that the dielectric grease that was used in the factory ignition switch would freeze and cause this. I had mine replaced and its been fine.

#11 ·
Ive heard of that to but i also heard that does not work and it leaves your car vulnerable to be easily stolen since you are potentially bypassing the passlock. I looked deep into the webz and found another how to on how to fix the existing switch but it came with all kinds of serious warning so i will never post it. You should just get a new switch

#12 ·
Thank you all for your input. I put in a new ignition switch I picked up from advanced auto.
It was around $38 , BWD CS1138 , did the relearn process and it starts up every time now and the passlock light does not come on anymore randomly while driving. Very easy to install. Thanks again everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.