Damn radio stopped working... AGAIN! - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Problems & Troubleshooting

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

mine locks up. None of the keys will work. I have to disconnect my battery to reset it. Its happened to me twice now.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Arrow

Don't cancel the appointment... The radio needs to be replaced again.. The same thing happened with mine... Thats one of the many reason why Saturn Corp is buying it back... Not to mention that it dies on my when I am doing 50+mph for no reason at all... I know its a pain in the ass but as soon as your radio doesn't work again, call the dealership, drive it right over and DO NOT SHUT YOUR CAR OFF... Then they will find the problem!! TRUST ME! You know guys... After hearing all this stuff about our 04's I really think that Saturn should recall all the 04's and put them on an island and blow them all right the frig up!!!!!!!!!!
Black Onyx
Supercharged (LEMON)

MAINE GIRL'S GOT A 4X4
sassygrl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

same problem on '05

I had the exact same problem to the "T" with my premium sound system on my 05 redline. No static - no station. My cd's still played though -- very odd. They replaced the radio, now the only problem i have is getting it to hold the custom equalizer settings i have...

definitely take it in... if you can't replicate the problem (which i couldn't), they will just replace the radio again. it's a hassle, but eventually they'll figuring out what's going on.
jasonmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Arrow

Jason, mine won't hold the settings either, this is the replaced one... I just thought that it was something I was doing!!! HHMM... guess I'll be bringing that up next time I am in!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
is it an 04/05?
what would THAT have to do with it? The cars are essentially IDENTICAL!
(and the audio equipment certainly is)

Was it affecting BOTH AM and FM?
Losing radio stations only (wih CD remaining functional) is likely an antenna problem or an issue internal to the radio.
do you have the MP3 capable radio? (Will say MP3 on face-plate)
Do you have advanced audio?
WOT

Last edited by WopOnTour; 01-15-2006 at 05:29 PM.
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour
1.Was it affecting BOTH AM and FM? 2.Do you have the MP3 capable radio? 3.Do you have advanced audio?
WOT
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

*Edited because I'm retarded... I do have the MP3 player.

Last edited by Boosted_Ion; 01-17-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Boosted_Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_Ion
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
OK, that narrows down the possibilities a bit, One more question- has the radio ever been removed or replaced on your car? (more on that in a bit)

Still on THAT radio it's most likely an antenna connection issue.Although certainly it could still be internal to the radio, the external items will need to be confirmed/repaired first.

There is an antenna lead-in inter-connection in the RH kick panel area that may have a poor or corroded connection.

There is also a braided ground strap betweeen the radio and the Instrument Panel Fuse Block that MUST be present (and connected properly) to insure sufficient ground plane for the antenna. Sometimes when the radio is R&R this ground strap doesnt get reconnected. This is "historical baggage" from GM that goes all the way back to the mid-80s GM ETRs where poor reception and radio noises were caused by such a ground strap- and since then it's become common practise to remove them or leve them off. But in the ION's case leaving off the strap results in a significant loss of antenna reception strength.

Anyways you can also install a temporary "test antenna" to the radio (leaving it all including the mast under the IP) and drive the car using that for a few days to see if the condition ceases. Does it happen daily??

HTH
Regards
Wop
Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmaxwell
I had the exact same problem to the "T" with my premium sound system on my 05 redline. No static - no station. My cd's still played though -- very odd. They replaced the radio, now the only problem i have is getting it to hold the custom equalizer settings i have...

definitely take it in... if you can't replicate the problem (which i couldn't), they will just replace the radio again. it's a hassle, but eventually they'll figuring out what's going on.
Same thing here. Replacing the radio is just a stab in the dark IMO. A better practice would be to install a "test" antenna under the dash and let you drive it for a few days to see if it continues to act up. If it DOES then it's the radio, if not the antenna lead-in, grounds and "finish connections" inside the RH front fender will need to be confirmed/replaced. The RF fender comes OFF in about 5 minutes yet few techs ever pull it off when diagnosing the antenna. The aluminum bracket that holds the antenna base to the space frame forms part of the antenna ground plane and if it's loose or the interface has become corroded it can cause an intermittent loss of reception.
HTH
Wop
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Arrow

I have a yes on all three to your question... SO what does that mean for me??? And no, my radio has never been replaced or tampered with other then when they just replaced it!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

The dealership has already replaced this radio once so I guess it's more feasable that there is something wrong with the antennea lead. I'll poke around and check the ground too.

This problem is EXTREMELY intermittant. In fact this is only the 2nd time it's happened and so far it hasn't lasted more than a day. One day my old radio stopped working completely and that was when Saturn replaced it.
Boosted_Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement