Rolling Idle - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Rolling Idle

Okay, so I have a this intermittent Rolling idle, sometimes it will fluctuate from 900-1100rpms or from 500-1300rpms. It only stalled out on me once. Now I cleaned the Throttle body, it didn't work. I replaced the Throttle body, it seemed to be the cure for the time being. Then after about a month it slowly came back. I replaced the MAF.. again seemed to be the cure and slowly came back. Its a strange one cause I can be sitting at a light fine then all of a sudden it will start to do it for about a minute then it would correct itself. Again I could have a trip and this wont happen. And another thing Sometimes I can make it happen by turning the A/C and Vise versa.. So Please need some lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Garage
EVAP solenoid. If you had a wideband, you'd see it go full lean.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Alright! Thanks! makes sense, I do have a lean code come on sometimes as well as a small evap leak. I smoked tested the system a couple of times before and could not find any smoke so I gave up on it lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPanda_61 View Post
Okay, so I have a this intermittent Rolling idle, sometimes it will fluctuate from 900-1100rpms or from 500-1300rpms. It only stalled out on me once. Now I cleaned the Throttle body, it didn't work. I replaced the Throttle body, it seemed to be the cure for the time being. Then after about a month it slowly came back. I replaced the MAF.. again seemed to be the cure and slowly came back. Its a strange one cause I can be sitting at a light fine then all of a sudden it will start to do it for about a minute then it would correct itself. Again I could have a trip and this wont happen. And another thing Sometimes I can make it happen by turning the A/C and Vise versa.. So Please need some lol

This sounds very similar to my experience ...I tried a lot like clean MAF and TB ..
A/C and summer temps for me made it a lot worse...
I went about 2 years with this thing - thought it was just our cars idle ...

Not in an effort to get it fixed, I just thought that the injectors needed some cleaning ..
so I had my stock air cleaner changed and injectors cleaned at Chevy last summer and its now about 8
months with no idle problem - totally different car

For me I guess I can narrow it down to either the air cleaner or Injectors

Last edited by 1Redline; 03-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPanda_61 View Post
Alright! Thanks! makes sense, I do have a lean code come on sometimes as well as a small evap leak. I smoked tested the system a couple of times before and could not find any smoke so I gave up on it lol
The EVAP system on these cars doesn't have a check valve. The solenoid is very cheaply made, and doesn't stand up to boost very well.

I blew a new EVAP solenoid in record time once I swapped to turbo.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM

So I just looked this EVAP solenoid thing up and now i know where it is..

Was wondering what that thing was for

I may have had a problem with this early on as well but I went around like a hound dog searching bad vacuum lines

Last edited by 1Redline; 03-18-2017 at 02:24 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Mine has idle searched since I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.