Clutch peddle help - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Clutch peddle help

I apologize ahead of time as I am sending this from my mechanic to you guys. But he is stuck and I miss my car
I recently had him replace the clutch I'm my car ( gmpp and **** flywheel of it makes a difference) everything seems like it went fine. But he can't get the clutch peddle to disengage . It seems that he can't push it down far enough.
Any ideas on what's going on ask any questions I will be giving my mechanic a link to this post so I can get a more direct communication between you guys and him
Thanks
7thmoose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Garage
Have him make sure that the rod from the master cylinder is in the back of the pedal.

Did he vacuum bleed the clutch from the master cylinder? It takes a while, but it does work.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
421whp/354wtq @ ~23psi on E30

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM

The master cylinder rod does not meet the hole in clutch paddle. In fact, when the white retainer clip is removed you notice part of the plunger seat is broken. When you push on the paddle the seat and the master cylinder don't meet till about half way done. I bled the clutch system from the reservoir. By vacuuming the reservoir to 25hg (only because the mightyvac didn't want to go any higher) holding for 2 mins. Then pressing the clutch paddle half dozen times. I did that about 7 times with at 20min break in the middle.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetreemech View Post
The master cylinder rod does not meet the hole in clutch paddle. In fact, when the white retainer clip is removed you notice part of the plunger seat is broken. When you push on the paddle the seat and the master cylinder don't meet till about half way done. I bled the clutch system from the reservoir. By vacuuming the reservoir to 25hg (only because the mightyvac didn't want to go any higher) holding for 2 mins. Then pressing the clutch paddle half dozen times. I did that about 7 times with at 20min break in the middle.
Sounds like he may need either a new master cylinder, pedal, or both.

Is the master cylinder rod bent at all?

You're bleeding it correctly, it just takes time. When you reinstalled the clutch elbow ( connects the line from the master cylinder to the throwout bearing ), did you make sure all the seals were in place and not doubled up? That is a common issue on these cars.

Keep at the vacuum bleeding. It took me about 20 cycles to get it right, but it does eventually go.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
Have him make sure that the rod from the master cylinder is in the back of the pedal.

Did he vacuum bleed the clutch from the master cylinder? It takes a while, but it does work.
no he bench bleed it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
Quote:
Sounds like he may need either a new master cylinder, pedal, or both.

Is the master cylinder rod bent at all?

You're bleeding it correctly, it just takes time. When you reinstalled the clutch elbow ( connects the line from the master cylinder to the throwout bearing ), did you make sure all the seals were in place and not doubled up? That is a common issue on these cars.

Keep at the vacuum bleeding. It took me about 20 cycles to get it right, but it does eventually go.
Master cylinder was recently replaced ( previous owner) was all chewed up at the ball part
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM

The master cylinder plunger is not bent
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The master cylinder plunger is not bent
I will double check but I fairly sure its not
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

for posterity I'm adding after how ever long we finally found it was in fact a bad master cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.